Custom POI file

Wow, I added custom poi's to my GPS last year, now I want to add the waypoints I've accumulated over the last year, but can't for the likes of me find how to create that "mycustom.gpi", I'm just finding gpx. What program or process did we use to create them. Any help would be appreciated.

Download Garmin's POI Loader.

Place your GPX file(s) in a folder on your computer.

Run POI Loader and select the folder as the source of the data.

POI Loader will create a file named POI.GPI on the destination you select.

Note that POI Loader will overwrite any previous POI.GPI files on the destination location.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Note that POI Loader will overwrite any previous POI.GPI files on the destination location.

IF IT OVERWRITES HOW DO GET MORE poiS INTO THE gps

Yup . . . The POI Loader takes the .gpx file and turns it into the POI file on the GPS. If you want them in different databases, you have to change the name of the POI file, then load new POIs. I always load the "Unfound POIs" last, since that is the only one that changes all the time. I don't have to change the name of that one.

I would like to move several addresses from streets and trips into my Garmin c340 using ponits of interest. Can I just save the S&T file as a gpx and then use the poi loader? Is it really that simple?

Yes, except you will have to use a converter software like GPSU to convert the .est file from S&T to a GPX file. S&T can't do it by itself.

IF IT OVERWRITES HOW DO GET MORE poiS INTO THE gps

I keep all of my POIs in one folder and if I want to add new ones I add them to the folder and run POI Loader again. Another way of doing it is rename the file that's already in the GPS then when you run POI Loader it wont over write the old one. I prefer the first method.

How do you change the icons for your custom poi's. mine are showing as just dots.

For each group of Custom POI (eg Unfound.gpx, Found.gpx etc) you create a separate bitmap icon (eg Unfound.bmp, Found.bmp etc) and place that in the same folder where you have placed the gpx files. Note: each Custom POI group gpx file must have a matching named bmp file.

Either create your own bmp icons (16 x 16 pixels) or use ones readily available off the net. A Google search will bring up many sources of icons.

Edited by BaldEd

Find or create an image that you want to make into your icon.

- Save the file as a bitmap (BMP file extension) using a graphics program. Microsoft Paint will work just fine. Be sure to save as a 256 Color bitmap. The size should be 24x24 or smaller. I have found that 18x18 or smaller works best.

- Rename your icon EXACTLY the same name as your POI file except for the file extension (the three letters after the dot).

- For example, if your POI file was "Micro.gpx", you would rename the icon for that POI as "Micro.bmp". Be sure you don't have extra spaces in one that aren't in the other.

NOTE: The default setting on many computers is to "hide file extensions for known file types".

- You would place both files in the same folder on your computer. (Not on your GPS unit.)

- Then run POI Loader and the icon will load with the file.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

I would like to move several addresses from streets and trips into my Garmin c340 using ponits of interest. Can I just save the S&T file as a gpx and then use the poi loader? Is it really that simple?

Yes, except you will have to use a converter software like GPSU to convert the .est file from S&T to a GPX file. S&T can't do it by itself.

What is GPSU? Where can I find this?

Check out this thread and follow the instructions closely.

I just put more than 5000 POIs in my Vista HCx in a matter of minutes, and now they are in separate folders for 'Found_2007," "Found_2008," "Benchmarks," and "Unfound_POIs." :P

I played with this last night and made a found and an unavailable folder (not really something I want just for learning sake) and downloaded an icon set and assigned them. That all works fine. But I don't really see a point in keeping found caches on the GPS? Any other nifty tips or handy links to them? Already figured out to use the real name code for GSAK.

I have a Palm 505 and not sure I will have room for all the cachemate files on there so no point in going too overboard. But if anyone has tips to reduce size of cachemate .pdb that would be appreciated. Already deleted everything I could off the Palm and tried moving the file to the memory card but you lose the logs and descriptions that way :laughing:

If I had a better memory, I wouldn't need the caches on my GPSr as POIs . . . but I don't . . . :laughing: I frequently cache in areas where I have found the caches, but my companions haven't. Sometimes a second GPSr helps pinpoint the location when I cannot remember where a cache I found three years ago was hidden. :P

Having my past notes on my Palm might also be useful. With a 256 MB card on my Palm m515, I can keep all that info easily. The Found caches, organized by year found, don't have to be updated once they are on the GPSr and Palm.

If I had a better memory, I wouldn't need the caches on my GPSr as POIs . . . but I don't . . . :drama: I frequently cache in areas where I have found the caches, but my companions haven't. Sometimes a second GPSr helps pinpoint the location when I cannot remember where a cache I found three years ago was hidden. :anicute:

Ditto. Also when I want to drop off a TB and have no unfounds in the area it is handy to have all my previous finds in the gps.

If I had a better memory, I wouldn't need the caches on my GPSr as POIs . . . but I don't . . . :anicute: I frequently cache in areas where I have found the caches, but my companions haven't. Sometimes a second GPSr helps pinpoint the location when I cannot remember where a cache I found three years ago was hidden. :drama:

Having my past notes on my Palm might also be useful. With a 256 MB card on my Palm m515, I can keep all that info easily. The Found caches, organized by year found, don't have to be updated once they are on the GPSr and Palm.

I tried to trade my 505 with a coworker who doesn't really use his 515 but he wouldn't go for it. I am going to ask him again though. :huh:

Edited by hallycat