.kml files not created from Caches Along a Route?

I am planning a trip from Vegas through Hoover Dam to Grand Canyon and back by way of Rt. 66. Most of these routes are already uploaded in the caches along a route listings. However, when I click on a particular route, then on create file in .gpx or .kml - the .kml link takes me to an error page on Geocaching.com. I tried this with several different routes. Any suggestions?

Also - I do not have any mapping software other than the very generic map that came w/Mapsource software. Is there an easier way to do trip routing without have to buy mapping software?

EDITED: I finally figured how to use google maps better and save as a .kml, but that's re-inventing the wheel when there are already routes created in the database.

All help appreciated - I'm still learning all these technical ways to do this. :unsure: Thanks!

Edited by Sassygeogirl

I am planning a trip from Vegas through Hoover Dam to Grand Canyon and back by way of Rt. 66. Most of these routes are already uploaded in the caches along a route listings. However, when I click on a particular route, then on create file in .gpx or .kml - the .kml link takes me to an error page on Geocaching.com. I tried this with several different routes. Any suggestions?

Also - I do not have any mapping software other than the very generic map that came w/Mapsource software. Is there an easier way to do trip routing without have to buy mapping software?

EDITED: I finally figured how to use google maps better and save as a .kml, but that's re-inventing the wheel when there are already routes created in the database.

All help appreciated - I'm still learning all these technical ways to do this. :o Thanks!

I'm having the same problem. The GPX files seem to be ready to download, but the KML files downloads lead to an Geocaching.com error page.

Besides the download error, I'm having another odd problem. On my web site, the gpx files are downloading to the computer, but the kml files are being displayed as text in the window. You have to right click to download. If they are both xml files, what's the difference? I did find some other kml files online, and they download just as the gpx files. I can't figure out why this is happening on my site.

Here is the site page with the files on it:

http://www.americanroads.us/ushighways/ushighway80CA.html

Parsa

Besides the download error, I'm having another odd problem. On my web site, the gpx files are downloading to the computer, but the kml files are being displayed as text in the window. You have to right click to download. If they are both xml files, what's the difference? I did find some other kml files online, and they download just as the gpx files. I can't figure out why this is happening on my site.

Here is the site page with the files on it:

http://www.americanroads.us/ushighways/ushighway80CA.html

Parsa

I wish I could help you Parsa, but I'm just as baffled as you are! Sorry! :o