A gpx viewer for Linux?

I've been using GPXsonar on my PDA for a while but I've recently got a very nice little laptop, running linux (ubuntu), which I take everywhere with me. Does anyone know of some nice simple gpx softwre, like gpxsonar, for linux? I just want to browse / search caches / view logs / clues via my little laptop. At a push I'll use WINE.

Thanks

...recently got a very nice little laptop, running linux (ubuntu), which I take everywhere with me

An eee, by any chance?

It sure is and now running MemoryMap via WINE.

Shame I can't find a GPX viewer for linux - maybe I'll have to write my own.

...recently got a very nice little laptop, running linux (ubuntu), which I take everywhere with me

An eee, by any chance?

It sure is and now running MemoryMap via WINE.

Shame I can't find a GPX viewer for linux - maybe I'll have to write my own.

Well, if you're using Wine to run MemoryMap can't you also use it to run GSAK?

A native app would be nice though ( I also have an eeePC, 1gb ram, 8gb disk ).

What Linux distro are you guys running, what it was delivered with ( Xandros )? I installed eeeXubuntu on my 8gb disk but haven't had much time to play with it yet, seems to run nicely though.

I've been using GPXsonar on my PDA for a while but I've recently got a very nice little laptop, running linux (ubuntu), which I take everywhere with me. Does anyone know of some nice simple gpx softwre, like gpxsonar, for linux? I just want to browse / search caches / view logs / clues via my little laptop. At a push I'll use WINE.

Thanks

Try using gpsbabel to convert the gpx files to csv, then you could write a simple sh or perl script to interact with the csv file for your purposes... This would be my choice. If you need help let me know.

Alternatively, consider running a virtual machine with windows xp or 2000. Then you could use almost all of the windows GPS (and other) software. Sounds like an eee could handle it, but I have no experience with them. I would recommend virtualbox for a lean & fast virtualization app.

Alternatively, consider running a virtual machine with windows xp or 2000. Then you could use almost all of the windows GPS (and other) software. Sounds like an eee could handle it, but I have no experience with them. I would recommend virtualbox for a lean & fast virtualization app.

Well, you could add an 8gb SD card and install Windows XP on it and you can do a dual boot config.

;) Ok I am a computer illiterate and don't quite understand what you are all taking about. I was going to by a PDA so I could do paperless cacheing and I understood that I could just install GSAK and then I could download the info (logs, hints, and description). Then I want to the store and saw the Eeepc and thought how great it would be fro the kids to use as a pc when on outback trips but am not sure what I need to do to run a program like GSAK. Can you explain to me in simple terms what would make this work.

Thanks

@Spraker:

I have an EeePC 4G. If you are computer illiterate, I wouldn't suggest getting an Eee if you want to do anything besides running the apps that come with it.

I'm an old hand with DOS and Windows-based PCs, but trying to get other programs to run on my Eee (even Linux versions) is a pain in the butt and hardly straightforward. Google Earth was fairly easy to get working on my Eee, but anything else was too time-consuming. I just want to run an installer and have a program work; I don't want to deal with scripts, compiling, and permissions. Hence I am considering putting Windows XP on my Eee.

Edited by geognerd

I realize this is an old thread, but figured I'd add to it based on my previous suggestion in it. I recently picked up an eee for a trip to China that I don't want to bring my full size laptop on.

Using an eee 8G with 2GB ram.. I installed virtualbox with winXP pro running under eeeXubuntu. It works well and is plenty fast. Mapsource and gsak run well. I think they would work okay on 1GB ram (Limit XP to around 512MB) , but I wouldn't try it on a 512MB eee. YMMV with the xandros OS - I removed it from the eee within 2 hours of it leaving the store. (Not because of any problems with it, I just wanted to use a more familiar distro)

Just an FYI for anyone curious about this question in the future. I rarely use WINE so I have no comments on that.

Viking looks like a great program; thanks for mentioning it.

I pulled the latest source code from subversion (670) and managed to compile it under linux. I ran into two small problems with the src/icons directory though: 1. it dies with parallel make (-j flag) 2. some of the generated header files trigger some kind of compiler error, so after a few minutes looking at the various files i took a random guess and added --static to the gdk-pixbuf-csource call and it made everything work. All the icons seem to show up when the program runs.

It loaded several of my GPX tracks and displays them nicely and extremely fast (I do a lot of OSM editing so there's lots of tracks around my neighborhood). Osmarender maps work fine, except at the highest zoom level which is beyond osmarender's z17. The realtime GPS layer doesn't show anything but a big blue arrow, since the GPS receiver is sitting on my desk and not moving. It also recognizes geocache information in gpsbabel converted loc -> gpx waypoint files.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5476/vikingyq5.png

I hope Groundspeak doesn't sue me for sharing a screenshot that shows the locations of some of their caches, er, caches listed on their site. I really don't know anymore. As much as I think it's completely ludicrous for a website to assume all ownership of content created entirely by users, I'd rather not piss anyone off. Not out of respect for the lawyers' feelings, but for my own protection.

to geonerd:

you'll probably have better luck with your eee if you learn how to use linux. One of the big differences is that there aren't "installers" like on windows where the developer picks whatever non-standard technology they wish to send you an executable file from which you blindly click "next" fourteen times. Instead, we have package managers that can install and upgrade programs very efficiently and robotically, and unless you're using programs that are either very obscure, or proprietary like google earth, you never have to compile anything by hand.

You're welcome. I was looking around for a decent GPX viewer/editor and hadn't been satisfied but then I came across Viking and it looked pretty cool. I was particularly impressed by the inclusion of map tiles from OpenStreetMap (even a choice between Mapnik and Osmarender!). Since the main reason I wanted an editor is to organize/crop/clean up my GPX traces prior to upload to OSM, it's a great bonus (also lets me see quickly where I need to do some mapping). It would, that is, if it wouldn't crash under Windows... It may be something about my setup, but I can't know what it might be.