Those darn nano logs!

I don't know about you but my fingers just aren't as nimble as they used to be and rolling up those tiny logs takes longer than finding the cache sometimes. So I came up with handy little log winder/retriever. You can use it to pull out the log and rewind it so it fits back in with ease. I made it from a standard paperclip. Just straighten it out and bend it in half. The I just wraped the bent end with a strip of duct tape. Insert the end of the log between the two ends of the paperclip and twirl the winder to make a nice tight log. Slip it off the end and back into the container.

Winder.jpg

Very useful! I left the end loop uncovered by tape, so that I could thread a paper clip over one end, then I slipped the paper clip on to the zipper handle of my GPS case that I carry caching stuff in, so that it was handy and wouldn't get lost. :)

That's how I carry mine as well. I just stuck it in a piece of clay to stand it up while taking a picture of it. :)

You are far to considerate. I figure anyone who plans to hide one of those pills should be prepared to maintain it often, So if I have any problems rolling the strip of paper back up, I just moisten it in a nearby puddle or use some saliva and wad it back up and jam it into the container. :)

PS why do so many cachers feel compelled to write their full names on those instead of initials? :)

I don't know about you but my fingers just aren't as nimble as they used to be and rolling up those tiny logs takes longer than finding the cache sometimes. So I came up with handy little log winder/retriever. You can use it to pull out the log and rewind it so it fits back in with ease. I made it from a standard paperclip. Just straighten it out and bend it in half. The I just wraped the bent end with a strip of duct tape. Insert the end of the log between the two ends of the paperclip and twirl the winder to make a nice tight log. Slip it off the end and back into the container.

Necessity is the mother of invention, right buddy? (ask him how many of those type hides he owns... ahem)

I have tweezers in my caching bag, but that's a pretty cool 'invention'. I'll be making myself one!

:)

Necessity is the mother of invention, right buddy? (ask him how many of those type hides he owns... ahem)

I have tweezers in my caching bag, but that's a pretty cool 'invention'. I'll be making myself one!

:)

Better hurry. I just picked up FIVE MORE yesterday. Mwaahaahaaa

(and no...they won't be like YOUR nano in the woods series) :)

As soon as this topic was posted, I had a TaDa moment.

When I was a kid, used to have this hobby called Quilling. And I still happen to have all of my tools. I think this is an ideal tool that I have just thrown into the caching toolset..

RANDOM LINK TO DEMONSTRATE WHAT A QUILLING TOOL IS.

SlottedQuillingTool-Large.jpg

Edited by bflentje

When I was a kid, used to have this hobby called Quilling. And I still happen to have all of my tools. I think this is an ideal tool that I have just thrown into the caching toolset..

Now, if someone was smart, they'd contact the maker of that tool and see if they could it made with a green handle and something stamped on it like 'geocaching nano log roller' or the like, and sell it thru the various on-line geostores...

As I thought of it first, its patented, and whoever does this must pay me royalties!

Man that is the neatest thing I've seen for a while. Thanks for the tip I just made a couple of them and they work great.

Edited by lacomo

Now, if someone was smart, they'd contact the maker of that tool and see if they could it made with a green handle and something stamped on it like 'geocaching nano log roller' or the like, and sell it thru the various on-line geostores...

As I thought of it first, its patented, and whoever does this must pay me royalties!

tn_GreenTool_000.jpg

I made it from a standard paperclip. Just straighten it out and bend it in half. The I just wraped the bent end with a strip of duct tape. Insert the end of the log between the two ends of the paperclip and twirl the winder to make a nice tight log. Slip it off the end and back into the container.

Winder.jpg

I wonder, do they still make bobby pins? I think they would do the same thing and be ready made.

I threw one together a few days ago, and finally had a chance to use it in a real caching situation today, it it works beautifully! I think I'm going to make another one that is built into the cap of a small Bison tube. That way I can put it on my keychain or the zipper of my jacket and it'll always be there when I need it. Thanks for the tip!