Not fulfulling missions OK here?

BVnLJ

Unfortunately there are people out there who sign up for missions but have no intention to even keep their end of the bargain. All they are out for is free coins. Now there are others where life gets in the way, but at least they contact the mission host and explain their situation.

Sorry to hear that bvnlj...I would contact the organizer and hopefully they can get things moving.

I got to thinking (but don't have the time to start one up) that maybe a "Not so Secret Mission" would help in this situation. The anonymity of the secret missions while nice, could also shield those that are maybe looking for a way to cash in so to speak. If you knew who your mission persons were, maybe that would help with less no-shows?

Then again I guess it would be just as easy to post in the trading thread...

I had someone not fulfill one of the missions, I took part in over the holidays. I asked the organizer the name so I wouldn't partake in any trading with this particular cacher and I was much obliged with a name which I will keep to myself. Apparently the cacher in question mailed all his/her missions on the same day and none of us received them. So it is pretty clear all is well in his/her life that they indicated to the organizer they shipped them...(i.e. life didn't get in the way of our fun). Dang USPS <_<

Awful suspicious if you ask me. :unsure:

Hopefully, the organizers of these really big missions are keeping a list and preventing them from partaking in any future missions they organize.

Scandalous I tell you.

50 lashes with a wet noodle...I think :anitongue:.

SCB#8

It is certainly NOT OK with me.

6 missions for the 6th Anniversary of Geocoins were not fulfilled for various reasons (sick senders, various post office mistakes, etc), but what really bugged me is that one person repeatedly ignored my email and PM requests for a status update, ignored the person they were meant to send to, but was happily posting on here throughout.

THAT is the sort of thing that makes me really unhappy. Dont join a mission if you aren't going to fulfil your obligations. These missions were started to spread a little cheer - not create disharmony.

Edited to say - I second the notion of wet noodle lashing :anitongue:

Edited by Cheesy pigs

NOT fullfilling your mission(s) is a despicable thing to do to others....tsk tsk.... <_<

Maybe the hosts of the missions should require everyone to use confirmation when sending their packages as proof they sent them....its sad it might come to that but it might help people not getting burnt by some bad apples....

Also, it might help if the hosts would allow people only ONE mission. Not only would it help cut down on bad missions....but then people could truly focus on their one person and give them maybe a few extras instead of just the minimum.

Kudos to all those who fullfill their missions :anitongue:

Just wondering what is done or should be done when participants don't fullfill their part of a mission, is this an OK thing here? Seems kind of a "crappy" thing to do :anitongue:

I never did answer your question...tell the host of the mission you did not receive it...they can write the person in question and see what's up. Doesn't always help but its better than saying nothing at all. The host needs to know.

How about creating a list of people who do not fullfill their missions and that list gets passed onto the new mission hosts. I'm not talking about a public list but one that gets sent to whomever is going to organize the next mission. It would allow a possibe heads up for any problems.

Just wondering what is done or should be done when participants don't fullfill their part of a mission, is this an OK thing here? Seems kind of a "crappy" thing to do :anitongue:

Of course it's not OK, to not do, what you agree to do.

Just wondering though:

What mission are you talking about, and do you know who didn't fulfill their mission?

You can send me a PM or email if you don't want to post it here, but I'd really like to know.

Thanks.

I know it is extra work for the mission organisers, but I think it would be really helpful if there was some kind of feedback that could be sent, this information could be shared by those organising missions. You can leave feedback on ebay - I think this could discourage those that are less giving !

I have had some brilliant missions and one that 'just' met the criteria - i.e. two trackable coins in an envelope - you might expect that from someone who hasn't 'missioned' before but not from someone who appears to participate in every one. It is not in the spirit of these missions - and it ought to be discouraged, even though we are meant to be 'not disappointed with two coins in a mailer' - it's not as bad as not receiving anything. :anitongue:

Having Hosted Three Missions now, I believe that they have been quite successful.

I don't think there will ever be a Mission where one or two packages aren't received.

In the Heart's Desire exchange, there were 5 packages that weren't received. With 100 or so

exchanges, this is an excellent number.

When it comes to any Mission, the Host looks at those last few numbers,

and evaluates the Missing Packages:

A. The Package was lost in the Mail.

B. The Package is being Delayed or Held in International Customs

C. The Package was never Mailed.

D. The Package was Received, but the recipient is Claiming Otherwise.

A & B are general assumptions.

C & D are accusatory assumptions.

All are possible, though assuming, can be damaging.

Participating in any Mission bridges the gap of miles separating one another. It allows you the ability to share your enjoyment of Geocoins, and perhaps if your Mission isn't "too Secret", it can offer Friendship.

I realize it can be truly disheartening not to receive a Package, especially since there is a sheer delight in

anticipation of getting it. As a Host, I fill in for those who didn't receive their Mission Packages. Sometimes People Volunteer to Complete these "Lost Missions". Kudos to these Friends!

I agree, it isn't right for people to participate if they don't actually "Go the Distance" and complete their own Missions... But, I would rather focus on the positive aspect of the whole experience.

One of the rules is the person has to have at least "30 Posts" to participate in the Missions. This is a very small attempt to rule out a New Person from trying to obtain a few free coins, without completing their part of the Mission. These Missions are carried out in general Trust and Friendship. We can only hope everyone follows through with their Share.

Not Fulfilling Missions is Not OK. But, I'd like to think we're a Community among Friends.

Whatever the case, The Host should be made aware of a Mission that is not received.

~Fluttershy :unsure:

Edited by Fluttershy

We always use tracking when we are sending anything- a mission or even just a trade. It doesn't cost that much and so far everything we have sent has made it.

We are currently overdue to receive one Birthday mission. Even though it has only been a week it is making me nervous. We truly love making up the special missions to send to others

The idea that there are folks out there who are repeating a pattern of taking and not sending well..... I vote for adding confirmation or tracking to all missions. It really isn't that big a thing to do and would hopefully stop the repeat offenders.

PS what about the folks who get their mission and never post a thank you? Seriously tracking is a wonderful thing for your sanity. :unsure:

How about creating a list of people who do not fullfill their missions and that list gets passed onto the new mission hosts. I'm not talking about a public list but one that gets sent to whomever is going to organize the next mission. It would allow a possibe heads up for any problems.

Having Hosted Three Missions now, I believe that they have been quite successful.

I don't think there will ever be a Mission where one or two packages aren't received.

In the Heart's Desire exchange, there were 5 packages that weren't received. With 100 or so

When it comes to any Mission, the Host looks at those last few numbers,

and evaluates the Missing Packages:

A. The Package was lost in the Mail.

B. The Package is being Delayed or Held in International Customs

C. The Package was never Mailed.

D. The Package was Received, but the recipient is Claiming Otherwise.

A & B are general assumptions.

C & D are accusatory assumptions.

All are possible, though assuming, can be damaging.

Participating in any Mission bridges the gap of miles separating one another. It allows you the ability to share your enjoyment of Geocoins, and perhaps if your Mission isn't "too Secret", it can offer Friendship.

I realize it can be truly disheartening not to receive a Package, especially since there is a sheer delight in

anticipation of getting it. As a Host, I fill in for those who didn't receive their Mission Packages. Sometimes People Volunteer to Complete these "Lost Missions". Kudos to these Friends!

I agree, it isn't right for people to participate if they don't actually "Go the Distance" and complete their own Missions... But, I would rather focus on the positive aspect of the whole experience.

One of the rules is the person has to have at least "30 Posts" to participate in the Missions. This is a very small attempt to rule out a New Person from trying to obtain a few free coins, without completing their part of the Mission. These Missions are carried out in general Trust and Friendship. We can only hope everyone follows through with their Share.

Not Fulfilling Missions is Not OK. But, I'd like to think we're a Community among Friends.

Whatever the case, The Host should be made aware of a Mission that is not received.

~Fluttershy :unsure:

I rather agree with Dolfy as I've thought of having the same thing done before, myself. Sadly, I'm not a big fan of blacklisting, though.

Fluttershy worded it really well, otherwise, and I don't think I could have said it better.

However, that being said, I admit it, I have a spreadsheet of the Sunshine Mission participants and I'm checking off the packages as the are recieved to keep track of it.

I'm not doing so to be the mission police, but because someone has very kindly offered to back up any missions that didn't make it and I felt this was the easiest way to do so.

I do plan on doing another simple little mission like this in the near future, though...and anyone who doesn't appear to have a legitimate reason for not having sent their mission will not be accepted for the next one.

Naomi :D

We always use tracking when we are sending anything- a mission or even just a trade. It doesn't cost that much and so far everything we have sent has made it.

We are currently overdue to receive one Birthday mission. Even though it has only been a week it is making me nervous. We truly love making up the special missions to send to others

The idea that there are folks out there who are repeating a pattern of taking and not sending well..... I vote for adding confirmation or tracking to all missions. It really isn't that big a thing to do and would hopefully stop the repeat offenders.

PS what about the folks who get their mission and never post a thank you? Seriously tracking is a wonderful thing for your sanity. :unsure:

I participated in the Leprechan mission and my recipient was from Europe, it cost $15.70 just to send the package and I really didn't want to add to that expense, so sometimes it's just not feasable to do tracking.

I love participating in the missions. So far out of all the missions that I have participated in, there is only once that I did not receive my package. The missions host at the time was super and sent me a mission package because after numerous attempts of contacting the person that had me they received no reply. The mission host above and beyond and I am very grateful for that. Sometimes life happens but I think that cachers that don't fulfill their mission and don't even respond when asked should be passed on to the next mission host. That way if the same cacher joins again and it happens again a pattern will emerge.

For me also to add tracking to a package would cost quite a lot more than it already does. But when I sign up for a mission (just like when I agree to a trade) if something happens to the package that I send off I would be willing to fix it somehow.

I am new to missions, as I have only done 7 in the past couple of months, but here is my opinion for what it is worth.

I do not see ANY benefit in keeping the missions a "Secret Mission". When I read on the Heart's Desire thread, day after day, that a couple of people had not yet received their missions LONG after Valentine's Day I felt very bad for them. Because of this, I had reservations about doing the Easter and St. Patrick's Day Missions, but in the end I signed up for three more missions plus the Sunshine Mission. I really enjoy doing these missions and trying to acquire coins that my recipients are seeking in hopes that it makes their day. I feel like the people who are signing up and then not completing their missions should be barred from any and all future missions. I know for me, that if and when I get burned on a mission I will probably stop doing them. If there are a few people out there who are repeatedly stiffing people on their missions, they should not be allowed to continue this practice and spoil the missions for the rest of us. I think that if the Missions cease to be "secret" and we receive the name of our Mission through the thread instead of emails, it will stop some of this. At the very least it will make the person think twice about stiffing someone, since we will all know who they are, unless they just have no shame at all. My comment is not aimed at those who have a legitimate reason for not completing their mission and make the Mission Organizer aware of their situation.

As for the tracking; sometimes I track, sometimes I insure, but at the very least I mail it at the post office and get a printed receipt that shows the package was mailed to the zip code it is going to. Some of our smaller post offices do not print receipts so when I am sending more than 1 coin I go to one who can do this for me. That way I feel I have some proof that I at least mailed the package.

Ok, that is my 2 cents, now I need a cup of coffee :unsure:

Edited by kehunt64

I also always use tracking for my trades and missions, I thought you could only use this feature on US deliveries though- can you use it internationally??

Yes, but it has to be insured and registered. To send just one coin internationally it cost around $23. :unsure:

I always send with delivery confirmation within the United States, whether it's a trade, mission, gift, return, etc., it's not that expensive and worth the peace of mind

The Valentine's Mission was my first mission. I finally thought I would give it a try. I put a lot of effort into the mission I sent, it cost me a few geocoins that were rare but it was definitely worth the effort after I read my cacher's post. I watched the mailbox anxiously and was quite excited about what I would receive. It would not have mattered if it was a coin in an envelope, it was the point of receiving a surprise. Day after day passed but I still kept the faith and was still eagerly awaiting my mission. Needless to say it never came and after several pms with others I am pretty sure it won't be coming. It was definitely disappointing and I will probably not be doing another mission.

I thought about posting a thread like this because it appears that there are people who should not be allowed to take part in the mission if they are not going to do their part. I also think it is tacky if people put the geocoins they can't sell in their missions or throw in geocoins they can't trade.

Edited by LadeBear68

I send my missions with delivery confirmation and I have watched one which was supposed to go from Me. to Ct. go to Hawaii but because it did have delivery confirmation they corrected there mistake immediately. If it didn't have delivery confirmation they wouldn't of cared if it left there immediately or not at all. That is what the post office told me. It is fun to have mystery senders but it also can let someone think who is going to know. My post office won't accept mail that doesn't have my address on it. Since 9-11, and the security that is the decision they made. I just sent a mission to England and not sure if it will get there or not. Reading the post here I thought you had to fill out a form and I have that on mailers from Canada. But the post master wasn't sure how to do it so no form was filled out. It has my return address on it so the postal service can return it to me. If someone wants to send it anonymous then they should do what others do put it to a person and from the same person so the post office can send it back to sender. It will take time but the post office does do that but when it is send without a return address it goes to the dead letter place.

If an address has any mistake now then it automatically gets sent back to the sender. So even sending international if you have your return address on it then it will get sent back to you. If you use the persons address as the sender to and there is a mistake, if the post office couldn't deliver it to the recipient then they aren't going to deliver it back to the sender.

Contact the person running the mission because they have the list.

This is a great group and sometimes your going to find someone who tries to spoil it but by contacting the person running the mission, it will help stop it from happening in the future.

What is the standard assumed loss rate for the major geocoin producers/shippers? :unsure:

To me, 5% seems like a pretty high rate. I'm batting somewhere over 99% on the trades I've mailed out, with one international package going astray (to someone I've traded with frequently, so it was definitely some country's postal service, not the recipient)

I've had a number of coins I received that were hanging on by a thread to their poorly thought out packaging, usually by someone throwing coins in plain old envelopes, infrequently from over-stuffed paper mailers.

Then again, I guess if the 5% includes unexpected troubles as well as intentional fraud, maybe that is a good rate! :D

If a mission goes wrong.. we always ASSUME it got lost in the mail.

I hate to think someone would NOT send a package.... Im sure it happens, but I would advise not assuming the worst of a person.

Now.. when you email them and they avoid you...

But no - not fulfilling a mission is NOT acceptable - which is why a person should think carefully about it prior to signing up.

~P

It was definitely disappointing and I will probably not be doing another mission.

This is the saddest part of someone not sending a mission. It would be sad to lose new people because of a bad experience.

I participated in a mission and had a good experience! I loved reading my "person's" post and knowing I made them happy with what I sent. I didn't hide who I was though and don't think missions should be a mystery; to me participating gives me a chance to make a new personal friend, just like a trade. :unsure:

International packages can be tricky and I don't know that tracking may be an option there.

I think the missions are fun. Although the Thanksgiving mission I didn't receive my package. :D I asked the mission controller a couple of times but nothing got resolved in the end. I just chalk it up as a small loss and move on. [/quo

:unsure: Oh geez... isn't this thread about the senders, not the Mission controllers? Now its their fault when missions aren't sent. B)

Its the responsibility of the SENDER - not the controller to be responsible for sending missions. If a mission organizer was responsible for everyone getting something - they may run out of coins quickly if:

1. Something gets lost in the mail.

2.Someone doesn't send a mission.

Yes, everyone SHOULD send missions - but I do not think its any organizers responsibility to do anything other than organize, and email the parties involved.

Its not as easy to host a mission as it looks! We will likely do it again, but would definitely expect those who didn't get something last time to not participate if they weren't happy - of ALL the participants - we had only TWO not get anything. (One of which we ended up with on a concurrent mission... and tried to make it fun!)

So.. I think the bottom line should be - if you don't plan on sending - dont sign up.

As a note tho - the senders of the missing packages were both active traders and forum members - I'm SURE it was a case of lost mail.

Edited by CinemaBoxers
But shouldn't a list be created to compare (between organizers) whether the same individuals are not sending out missions?

That would be an excellent idea! Absolutely - but, I think there needs to be a clear answer from the person who didnt send and it should be listed:

Did not respond to emails

Did not send

Sent, but got lost.

So - no one is unfairly judged.... if someone sent, but it got lost, and that person is someone normally VERY reliable, obviously I would assume it got lost. The issue with the list is that I would hate to see someone who DID send get 'blackballed' as a non-sender.

I think overthinking the missions might be a bad idea too... I mean, they are for fun, and I'd hate to see anyone excluded from a mission due to a mess up. :unsure:

I'm not sure if it has always been like this or not since I only started late last year with my first mission. However, I'm thinking there are way too many missions happening and they are becoming less "special". Some folks may be over extending themselves and then not able to do justice to the mission or complete them at all? Maybe people like all the mission and would love even more but I'm getting missioned out already and will either stop all together of pick a few a year - hard to do though as it can be fun.

One other thing that really bothers me about missions - people that don't post or only post a 'got the package, thanks'. Many people put a lot of thought and hard work into these packages and there is nothing more dejecting (other than not getting a package at all) than getting no response at the other end.

Edited by Theotokos

If a package gets lost is there a responsibility on the sender to re-issue a package or is it buyer beware so to speak?

Perhaps this should be addressed as the mission is listed. Example:

Please be prepared to guarantee a mission package to your recipient. If a package is lost - be prepared to send another.

Or...

Mission reciept is not guaranteed - this is a 'good faith' exchange. Participate at your own risk.

?? Perhaps the mission organizers need to begin to address this as they start a new mission. Interesting idea tho...

I agree that there are A LOT more missions now than there was even when we first got into coins - which wasn't terribly long ago. We pick and choose which we jump into, just because if we are busy, we don't want any packages delayed. We appreciate all the organizers tho - its no 'easy' feat.

One other thing that really bothers me about missions - people that don't post or only post a 'got the package, thanks'.

I have to agree with this comment. As a sender, it is nice when the recipient takes the time to post so that I know they have received their package and that it arrived safely.

Today I received 1 of my Leprechaun Missions and I received the Do Unto Others coin from my seeking list (Thank you KDV), and that should be the point here. Treat others as you would want to be treated. For those who do not send out their Missions, if you as a "recipient" would not want to be stiffed on a Mission, then why as a "sender" would you treat others that way?? The Missions should be something that everyone enjoys without the disappointment of not receiving a package.

Edited by kehunt64

If a package gets lost is there a responsibility on the sender to re-issue a package or is it buyer beware so to speak?

Perhaps this should be addressed as the mission is listed. Example:

Please be prepared to guarantee a mission package to your recipient. If a package is lost - be prepared to send another.

Or...

Mission reciept is not guaranteed - this is a 'good faith' exchange. Participate at your own risk.

?? Perhaps the mission organizers need to begin to address this as they start a new mission. Interesting idea tho...

I agree that there are A LOT more missions now than there was even when we first got into coins - which wasn't terribly long ago. We pick and choose which we jump into, just because if we are busy, we don't want any packages delayed. We appreciate all the organizers tho - its no 'easy' feat.

I agree and think it's an excellent idea for the organizers to put one of these (or maybe some other) stipulation in the mission rules to clarify how to dealt with some of the unfortunate situation that could occur with these missions.

My mission was a small and simple one, so hopefully there won't me many non-received from it, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

Right now it seems to be moving pretty well, but then again, it's still early in the mission.

I did have a couple of people privately mail me offering to pick up the slack if someone's sunshine didn't arrive, which was very, very kind.

I think it is just as important to post that you've received your package as it is to post you've sent it, as many of us not only enjoy reading the stories, but also really look forward to seeing if the person we sent to has received as much pleasure from the package as we received putting it together for them!

It doesn't matter if the package barely meets the requirements, as long as there is thought and consideration going in to it.

A good example for me is my first mission I received from someone here who was sending their first mission. It barely met the requirements, and I admit that in the beginning I was a little disappointed, BUT... the person sent me email letting me know that they had really enjoyed reading my posts and that they had tried to find coins that I'd enjoy. That little email made my first mission special, knowing that they had actually paid attention to me.

Sometimes it's not the big, fancy stuff, but the little stuff that means the most, which goes to show that you can send a nice mission without it being packed to the gills with things and costing an arm and a leg.

I think that a lot of people have become really daunted by some of the missions that are sent out. When a 3 coin mission shows received by someone and it has 5, 6, 7 coins or more, candy, swag, patches, pins, etc., in it, then the folks who just can't afford to send things like that end up feeling like anything they do isn't worth it, I think. The big packages are WONDERFUL, don't get me wrong, I just think that they can be a bit overwhelming to some people. The generosity on this forum is just incredible beyond incredible! There are some awesome people here.

Anyway, I'm rambling right now. Sorry, it's just some things that were on my mind.

It is definitely unacceptable to sign up for a mission and then not fulfill your obligation! I too am new to missions. I've only participated in three. When I send my packages off I always keep the receipt from the post office until my person has noted they received the package. I guess its just comforting to me to know that if ever questioned, i've got proof that I actually followed through with what I signed up for.

Something to consider however, missions are open to everyone in the forums. The missions I have signed up for asked if I was willing to ship outside of the US. I don't have a problem with shipping any where in the world and therefore I realize my package may also come from outside of the US. Unfortunately there may be delays in receiving a package that comes from another country. So to be fair to the sender (and give a little room to the postal system) anything outside of the US may go a bit longer than expected. I know my first mission had me a little nervous because the mission date came and went and I never received anything. Eventually I received an email from my "secret sender" saying it had been mailed, a little late and would get here as soon as possible. We can say we would like to hold the missions coordinator responsible in some sort of way, but honestly the responsibility should be put on the sender. It takes two minutes to send an email to the person you are sending a package to or to the mission coordinator if there are delays or problems with upholding your end of the bargain. If you sign up for a mission and for whatever reason you are unable to fulfill your duties you should at least have the responsibility about yourself to let someone know so they can help you out. If nothing else, send the package you get to the person you are suppose to be sending to.

With all of that said perhaps a list with names of people that truly don't fulfill their mission could be shared with coordinators. I'm one that doesn't speculate or assume what could have gone wrong. Things happen, life gets in the way, people forget, whatever the excuse may be. But the missions are suppose to be fun and all it takes is one person to take the fun out of a mission by not sending their package.

Just my 2 cents :)

It is definitely unacceptable to sign up for a mission and then not fulfill your obligation! I too am new to missions. I've only participated in three. When I send my packages off I always keep the receipt from the post office until my person has noted they received the package. I guess its just comforting to me to know that if ever questioned, i've got proof that I actually followed through with what I signed up for.

Something to consider however, missions are open to everyone in the forums. The missions I have signed up for asked if I was willing to ship outside of the US. I don't have a problem with shipping any where in the world and therefore I realize my package may also come from outside of the US. Unfortunately there may be delays in receiving a package that comes from another country. So to be fair to the sender (and give a little room to the postal system) anything outside of the US may go a bit longer than expected. I know my first mission had me a little nervous because the mission date came and went and I never received anything. Eventually I received an email from my "secret sender" saying it had been mailed, a little late and would get here as soon as possible. We can say we would like to hold the missions coordinator responsible in some sort of way, but honestly the responsibility should be put on the sender. It takes two minutes to send an email to the person you are sending a package to or to the mission coordinator if there are delays or problems with upholding your end of the bargain. If you sign up for a mission and for whatever reason you are unable to fulfill your duties you should at least have the responsibility about yourself to let someone know so they can help you out. If nothing else, send the package you get to the person you are suppose to be sending to.

With all of that said perhaps a list with names of people that truly don't fulfill their mission could be shared with coordinators. I'm one that doesn't speculate or assume what could have gone wrong. Things happen, life gets in the way, people forget, whatever the excuse may be. But the missions are suppose to be fun and all it takes is one person to take the fun out of a mission by not sending their package.

Just about every time there is a mission someone post theirs is going to be late and no one has a problem with that. It is the one who doesn't post it is going to be late or doesn't email that is the problem. If they want to remain anonymous then they can email the one running the mission. My first mission I didn't receive one so I figured missions is like sending out coins. Some make it, some don't.

After reading all the post, I am rethinking doing missions. If you follow the guidelines and send out the two coins you are supposed to, then you are disappointing someone because they didn't receive the box of goodies. To me if you want to do the missions everyone should follow the guidelines right down to sending the amount of coins required. Adding things to it wasn't a requirement and since reading people are disappointed in only receiving two coins then I am rethinking doing missions because I believe rules are meant to be followed not broken. That might also be a reason why people don't post they received their package, it doesn't compare to what others have received. If people want to add to their missions that is fine but the person should only post the coins they got.

The rules are there and adding more rules isn't going to make a difference. I do believe when someone wants to run a mission they should receive the list of those that got lost in the mail.

Everyone should follow the rules. If the decision is made for everyone to follow the rules then yes I will participate in more missions but I HATE shopping so if it is going to be seeing who can send the most stuff then I am out. I don't like to disappoint anyone.

Just about every time there is a mission someone post theirs is going to be late and no one has a problem with that. It is the one who doesn't post it is going to be late or doesn't email that is the problem. If they want to remain anonymous then they can email the one running the mission. My first mission I didn't receive one so I figured missions is like sending out coins. Some make it, some don't.

After reading all the post, I am rethinking doing missions. If you follow the guidelines and send out the two coins you are supposed to, then you are disappointing someone because they didn't receive the box of goodies. To me if you want to do the missions everyone should follow the guidelines right down to sending the amount of coins required. Adding things to it wasn't a requirement and since reading people are disappointed in only receiving two coins then I am rethinking doing missions because I believe rules are meant to be followed not broken. That might also be a reason why people don't post they received their package, it doesn't compare to what others have received. If people want to add to their missions that is fine but the person should only post the coins they got.

The rules are there and adding more rules isn't going to make a difference. I do believe when someone wants to run a mission they should receive the list of those that got lost in the mail.

Everyone should follow the rules. If the decision is made for everyone to follow the rules then yes I will participate in more missions but I HATE shopping so if it is going to be seeing who can send the most stuff then I am out. I don't like to disappoint anyone.

I don't think anyone is overly "disappointed"...but I do understand what you're saying! Think of it more like Christmas morning and you're 10. You wanted the Barbie playhouse with the convertible....but got something else. The "disappointment" of not getting what you want was likely forgotten rapidly and you were likely happy with what you did get. For me, it was the BB gun...I got one of those soft pellet guns instead. How on earth can you break windows and scare the neighbor's dogs with those BB gun wannabe's?? BUT, being able to play with them IN THE HOUSE made up for that. I did finally get the BB gun and was soon relieved of it as well as my allowance....stupid costly windows!

As for adding on, well, I find that to be fine and dandy! I am one who sends out more than the recommended amount of coins....but haven't sent much in the line of extras. I TRY to find something that's on the person's seeking list (if available) and then send a few others as well. And I don't disappoint easily, as long as you put a little effort behind it, I'm golden!!

NOW, that said....I am late on both my Lep missions and my sunshines. The sunshines are because my Jeep took a dump (with the cards in tow) and I have no way to get anything until the Jeep is back to me (Tod MIGHT make his way here today, maybe we'll go out and buy some more cards...not holding my breath though as the weekends are spent with his kid) Those missions (sunshine) will go out Tuesday at the latest. My Leps are both waiting patiently for trades to come through. I expect the one by Wednesday and may have to send w/o on the other as I'm just not sure when. On ALL of these missions, I plan to make up for my slowness (seems only fair), so yes, these will likely be a bit bigger than called for!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

My last mission came from out your way...I assumed it to be you if I remember correctly (but with my memory...). I was thoroughly pleased with it! I can't recall what it was (again, my memory....it's bad lets just say), but I did think some thought was put into it as...and I remember making a concious effort to check who it was that sent them to me!! I deduced it to be you as the mission came quickly after the names were handed out...and the Maine postmark :) I wouldn't worry about the mission contents, you did GREAT!! Just give from the heart!!

As a mission host (Mission Mayhem 07) I can say that I tried very hard to get in contact with senders as to whether or not their packages were sent. There was one person who apparently did not send any of theirs and I was very surprised at who it was, but, I can't judge anyone as to why it did or did not happen, and I wouldn't feel right adding names to lists because you just never know. Now, that particular mission definitely lived up to it's name!

I know it is extra work for the mission organisers, but I think it would be really helpful if there was some kind of feedback that could be sent, this information could be shared by those organising missions. You can leave feedback on ebay - I think this could discourage those that are less giving !

I have had some brilliant missions and one that 'just' met the criteria - i.e. two trackable coins in an envelope - you might expect that from someone who hasn't 'missioned' before but not from someone who appears to participate in every one. It is not in the spirit of these missions - and it ought to be discouraged, even though we are meant to be 'not disappointed with two coins in a mailer' - it's not as bad as not receiving anything. :)

thanks for posting this! My first mission was the WEGE and man, I sure felt like a heel when I started seeing all the pictures posted of all the beautiful envelope contents...I had no idea we were supposed to get so fancy and I am guilty of sticking 3 coins in an envelope and mailing them...to someone who has never 'missioned' before it takes a while to catch on. unspoken rules like these are usually not on the 'mission announcement'.

Maybe that would help or if the organizer would ask to be told when you email that you are a newbie...they could get you up to speed on unspoken rules. Just a thought.

I do think it's better though, to get 2 coins in an envelope than none at all :) My WEGE has still not come but I did get a communication today so yay! I am not forgotten!

My last mission came from out your way...I assumed it to be you if I remember correctly (but with my memory...). I was thoroughly pleased with it! I can't recall what it was (again, my memory....it's bad lets just say), but I did think some thought was put into it as...and I remember making a concious effort to check who it was that sent them to me!! I deduced it to be you as the mission came quickly after the names were handed out...and the Maine postmark :) I wouldn't worry about the mission contents, you did GREAT!! Just give from the heart!!

I didn't get your name. I got Kaboom and loved the write ups about the maze. Sometimes reading this forum is as good if not better than receiving a coin. Sure does put a smile on my face most days. :)

I didn't get your name. I got Kaboom and loved the write ups about the maze. Sometimes reading this forum is as good if not better than receiving a coin. Sure does put a smile on my face most days. :)

THAT'S what it was!! I told you my memory was bad!! I thought you put great effort into that as you'd have to figure a youngster likes those mazes (hey, so do I)! Really made Kaleb's day! It impressed me so that I took the time to check who could have sent it!!

I agree with the reading the forums comment too...I really enjoy this most of the time!!

I have participated in most of the missions over the last year and I agree with a lot of the sentiment posted in this thread. Number 1 is that it is DEFINITELY NOT ok to not fulfill your end of the mission. I had one that was going to be late. They set up a freebie email acct just to email me to say they were waiting on a trade and not to worry. That must have taken only a few minutes but made me feel a lot better. :) So if you are not going to be able to send it on time a simple email goes a long way.

I put a lot of thought and effort into the missions I send out. I usually add a little extra coin and some goodies but the coins I send I try my darndest to be from their seeking list. If there isn't a seeking list then I try to figure out something else from their profile etc that they might like. For me some of the fun is trying to make the trades for get something they would like. In the heart's desire mission I bet I was just as excited as the receiver when I made a trade for a very special coin. There have been some coins that I REALLY would have liked to keep myself but they were sent on. It really disappoints me then when they don't even bother to post that it was received or that I see they sent out what I would consider to be junk with no thought put into what was sent just to fulfill their end of the deal. (I do understand though that one person's junk is another's treasure!) BUT that is MUCH better than not sending at all. In the Santa mission I know that one guy never even bothered to send out three missions but was able to sell coins on ebay. That one really grinds me. For this reason I believe that the names should be passed on for the next mission coordinator. I realize that life gets in the way but when someone makes no effect at all to make things right even a couple of months later I really don't want to send to that person or have them get my name. As Ladebear said having that happen takes the fun out of it for many and sends people away from what should be very fun.

I also love reading the write ups and seeing the pictures as I am amazed at the creativity that some are capable of putting into their missions. The missions don't have to be fancy but I do like how Rod put it--come from the heart....