Can't afford

Sioneva

... to geocache anymore.

Okay, that's not exactly true. But the price of gas is seriously crimping my chances of completing the Nebraska County / Delorme Challenges. This is making me extremely cranky!

Maybe I'll get that motorcycle I've been thinking of... it might be cheaper in the long run!

Saving money often costs more than you save!

A mid-price motorcycle is what, $6k?

Insurance on it is more expensive.

The don't call them donor-cycles for nothing, so figure in at least the potential for huge financial risk... if you're married or have kids it's only right that you add plenty of long-term disability and life insurance.

How long until the gas savings pays for these things?

My guess is never!!

Sorry, you'll have to find another way to justify that crotch-rocket that we'd all really rather be driving!

... to geocache anymore.

Okay, that's not exactly true. But the price of gas is seriously crimping my chances of completing the Nebraska County / Delorme Challenges. This is making me extremely cranky!

Maybe I'll get that motorcycle I've been thinking of... it might be cheaper in the long run!

Car pool caching? :anitongue:

We are taking motorcycles to do Oklahoma Delorme Challenge on Spring Break. Mine gets 35 mpg pulling camping trailer, and wife's gets 50 mpg. We would probably be better off taking the Expedition at 15 mpg, but the bikes are more fun. It's worth it.

I'd still ride the bike if gas cost $5/gal

Don't think about buying a motorcycle...just do it. Then you can grin from ear to ear as you are having the time of your life while someone else is sitting at home too afraid to enjoy life. I get almost 50 mpg with mine but that's not why I bought it. It's just plain fun!!! You can also get some great deals on used bikes that have hardly been ridden. Lot's of nice folks buy one and ride it for a couple thousand miles then the novelty wears off and the resale is not so great. GO FOR IT!!!

Suzuki 650 - best bike on the market right now. If you prefer you can get a smaller bike, on you can take off road, or a Harley - it all depends on what you like. I suggest checking Auto Trader and Craigslist for ideas. Go out and educate yourself, hop on as many bikes aas you can, look into the write ups and try and find a bike someone else got before his wife okayed the purchase....low miles, good condition, good price. DONT FORGET THE HELMET AND THE LEATHERS. Good Luck

What are the best semi-inexpensive models?

Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda all make a great line of bikes to fit your size and experience. Check out a few motorcycle forums like the one I hang out at. www.thesabrehood.org. You have to look pretty hard or be very lucky to find a deal on a Harley. They are way overpriced.

Edited by saginawmike

"I'll save enough money on gas to make the payments" is a mythical economic premise.

Motor vehicles don't last long enough and the savings margin is not sufficient. By the time you get to the break-even point the vehicle will be ready for replacement.

Simple math:

gas = $4 / gallon

15 mpg = $0.26 / mile

50 mpg = $0.08 / mile

gas savings = $0.18 / mile for 50 mpg over 15 mpg

A $6000 motorcycle would pay for itself in gas savings compared to driving your 15mpg car provided you DID ride it whenever you needed transportation. Break-even is approx 33,000 miles, which is a LOT for a motorcycle as they are generally ridden.

Trying to justify a new car for gas savings doesn't work nearly as well:

Cost of car (cash) $21,760 (KBB for 2008 Prius) Total of payments $25000-28000 (depends on credit terms). for the sake of argument we'll go with the cash price and good buying skills and we get the car for $20,000 ($494 below "invoice")

The break-even point (gas savings = $20,000) is 111,000 miles (assuming you really GET 50MPG).

It WILL "pay for itself," but only by the time you are ready to trade it in. And this assumes that there will be no other costs of ownership.

But the "free car" gas saving myth remains a great justification for buying something new just because you want something new. Often spouses don't do math. :anitongue:

(of course as the price of gas skyrockets the margin improves... perhaps soon this "myth' won't be "busted" anymore)

I think by Memorial Day we'll probably see $4/gallon gas (here in the NY area some places are already over $4 for diesel fuel, though not for gasoline, though I know a couple of places approaching $3.80 for premium) and depending on what part of the country you're in maybe even close to $5/gallon (note: we are "cheap" though compared to the UK and most European countries, though some of the difference is higher gas taxes there). Too bad a lot of it is greedy speculators and not the laws of supply and demand at play.

I hear from the Europeans that gas is more expensive over there than over here Maybe that is the reason for the sudden rise in German armchair cachers.

Armchairs get terrible gas mileage...

... sorry, couldn't resist. :unsure:

I've been reading all the posts - I drive a 2001 Honda Civic right now, which is supposed to get 25 mpg, but it hasn't been lately. Maybe after I take it in and find out what's wrong, I'll feel less motorcycly.

Too bad a lot of it is greedy speculators and not the laws of supply and demand at play.

This myth will never die.

Oil company profits are low when compared to many other industries.

There are two primary factors that effect the price of gas:

Supply and demand- supply and demand both vary widely throughout the year due to availability of crude, refining capacity, amount of voluntary driving, etc.

Government intervention and taxes- every time the government wants to increase its "drunken sailor" spending (perhaps to "ease the gas crisis?") one of the places it looks is gas taxes, because they are essentially hidden from public view and gas tax increases will not result in lower consumption as is the case with other regressive taxation. Also government can't keep it's know-nothing head out of the regulating business so changes are mandated to the industry that cause price increases.

Another linky

I hear from the Europeans that gas is more expensive over there than over here Maybe that is the reason for the sudden rise in German armchair cachers.

Armchairs get terrible gas mileage...

... sorry, couldn't resist. :unsure:

I've been reading all the posts - I drive a 2001 Honda Civic right now, which is supposed to get 25 mpg, but it hasn't been lately. Maybe after I take it in and find out what's wrong, I'll feel less motorcycly.

With that car to start with, you're probably looking at 100,000 miles of riding before comparative motorcycle "break-even."

So go get your MC, it's a blast. No need to "justify" it by gas savings. :D

After I picked up my motorcycle I found I was using more gas. It suddenly was a lot more fun to drive 300 miles of curvy roads to find a cache a few states over.

Must be nice to live in RI! :unsure: Depending if I go 300 miles east or 300 miles west, I either end up in the middle of Iowa, or in the middle of Nebraska. No 'a few states over' here (okay, maybe two, if I'm lucky)!

Get a tune up. Preventative maintenance can make a big difference.