Original Artwork

Cornerstone4

Although derivative works are considered copyright violations, a parody can be protected from claims by the copyright owner of the original work under the fair use doctrine. The US Supreme Court ruled that parody 'is the use of some elements of a prior author's composition to create a new one that, at least in part, comments on that author's works.' That commentary function provides some justification for use of the older work.

A prime example is the coin idea I've been tossing around on the forums (look for 'My wife's geocoin idea'). It uses Grant Wood's American Gothic, probably the most parodied piece of American art. I figure if Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie can parody this painting for their show 'The Simple Life' under the fair use doctrine, then I've got nothing to worry about! :P

Edited by E&Cplus3

Although derivative works are considered copyright violations, a parody can be protected from claims by the copyright owner of the original work under the fair use doctrine. The US Supreme Court ruled that parody 'is the use of some elements of a prior author's composition to create a new one that, at least in part, comments on that author's works.' That commentary function provides some justification for use of the older work.

A prime example is the coin idea I've been tossing around on the forums (look for 'My wife's geocoin idea'). It uses Grant Wood's American Gothic, probably the most parodied piece of American art. I figure if Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie can parody this painting for their show 'The Simple Life' under the fair use doctrine, then I've got nothing to worry about! :P

parody is one thing, copying is another.

besides, if one is a widow, shouldn't she be all in black? i think what you have put together is funny.

lara

my DesertUSA.com story on macro photography and the hunt for wildflowers

http://www.desertusa.com/mag08/apr08/intim...landscapes.html