New children's book about geocaching.

Followers 1

http://www.amazon.com/Watch-Found-Boxcar-C...0369&sr=8-1

Book Description

One day in the park, the Aldens' dog, Watch, comes across a mysterious box with a note inside. "Congratulations!" the note says. "You've found it!" The box is part of a fun new treasure-hunting game, and soon Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny are looking all over town for cleverly hidden boxes.

But they're not the only ones on the trail for clues! When several of the treasure boxes go missing, the game is ruined for everyone. Who would steal the boxes-and why?

http://www.amazon.com/Watch-Found-Boxcar-C...0369&sr=8-1

Book Description

But they're not the only ones on the trail for clues! When several of the treasure boxes go missing, the game is ruined for everyone. Who would steal the boxes-and why?

When I read that this book is about kids and geocaching the first thing that I thought was that the kids need to know that this sort of activity carries with it a lot of responsibility. They need to learn that people may take what's not their's and so on. Now I see that this is covered. Awesome!

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom

This book is #113 in The Boxcar Children Series. The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner was published around 1946 and she wrote many sequels. At some point, other writers continued the series. If you read this one or buy it for someone, I suggest that you read the original...it is a classic in children's literature. I teach second grade and always read the original book to my class. This spring I read them this one about geocaching and we discussed the things that have changed since 1946 (cell phones, computers, GPSr to name a few). I enlisted the help of my assistant principal and gave him my Garmin and the coordinates for an ammo box hidden on the school grounds and he led my students to this unofficial cache. It was a wonderful activity for all of us and it really helped my students understand more about my hobby. Of course, many of them went home and asked their parents to buy a GPS receiver. :D

OK. I'm going to raffle off my copy of this Boxcar Children book.

Here are the details:

- Go to the "LOOK AT ME!!!" travel bug linked in my signature.

- Watch my travel bug.

- Send an email to the TB's hotmail address listed in the logs. Put "BOXCAR" in the subject line of your email and send it before 11:59PM EDT on June 20.

- I will choose the winner at random and announce it on Saturday June 21, 2008.

- Winner will send me a self-addressed stamped envelope in which to ship the book.

I figure your chances of winning this book are about 1 in 5! :D

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

I received my book yesterday from an Amazon reseller,plus three others from the series at a cost of .01p each :D and £2.75 each p+p ;)

I read the one about the Geocaching in about 45 mins.,whilst my 7 year old daughter read another one about treasure finding.She finished that shortly after me then started on the geocache one,and finished it by bedtime.

She loved them, and I may well be ordering some more from this huge series.

We quite often have to explain to muggles about geocaching,especially Alex`s schoolfriends and teachers.I think we may lend them the book now ,as I am sure it would whet their appetite,and save the mystified looks.

The only thing the book didn`t mention was the about the hints and decrypting,I think that should have been included in the story ,as it part of the fun(for kids anyway).

I did wonder about how it could be so up to date ,but the above post explained that.

Followers 1