Colorado: differences between internal memory and SD card?

In a previous thread I noted strange boot behavior on my Colorado 400t that I have traced (on a preliminary basis) to gpx files placed on the SD card (SanDisk ultra 2gig). Bootup time of roughly 1 minute was observed when 4 files (total of 12MB) were on the card. This time was duplicated consistently with successive power cycles.

I moved the files to the internal memory. The first reboot took the usual minute. Subsequent reboots now take 21 seconds.

Has anyone else noticed this type of behavior? It is as though the files placed into the internal memory are re-saved in a binary format vs. xml once they are parsed. Since the gpx files are not changed in any manner by logging activities (found, not found, etc.) in the geocaching profile, it makes sense that they would be converted into a more machine readable format. Why this doesn't happen with files on the SD card, I don't know. I'm just speculating here. I don't have any block diagrams or source code to examine to confirm my hypothesis.

Your thoughts?

George

In a previous thread I noted strange boot behavior on my Colorado 400t that I have traced (on a preliminary basis) to gpx files placed on the SD card (SanDisk ultra 2gig). Bootup time of roughly 1 minute was observed when 4 files (total of 12MB) were on the card. This time was duplicated consistently with successive power cycles.

I moved the files to the internal memory. The first reboot took the usual minute. Subsequent reboots now take 21 seconds.

Has anyone else noticed this type of behavior? It is as though the files placed into the internal memory are re-saved in a binary format vs. xml once they are parsed. Since the gpx files are not changed in any manner by logging activities (found, not found, etc.) in the geocaching profile, it makes sense that they would be converted into a more machine readable format. Why this doesn't happen with files on the SD card, I don't know. I'm just speculating here. I don't have any block diagrams or source code to examine to confirm my hypothesis.

Your thoughts?

George

I'm wondering if the algorithm that determines whether a gpx file is new or has changed has to take into account the fact that the file is on the SD card. Maybe since the file is on a removable media they always have to assume a reload at startup since the card could have been swapped since the last read of the card (i.e. it might have the same name/timestamp as the previous gpx file but actually might be a different file because the SD card was swapped).

Or it just might be a bug!

BTW, your numbers match mine for the internal memory, see the Performance section of the FAQ in my sig.

GO$Rs

Your thoughts?

George

I'm wondering if the algorithm that determines whether a gpx file is new or has changed has to take into account the fact that the file is on the SD card. Maybe since the file is on a removable media they always have to assume a reload at startup since the card could have been swapped since the last read of the card (i.e. it might have the same name/timestamp as the previous gpx file but actually might be a different file because the SD card was swapped).

Or it just might be a bug!

BTW, your numbers match mine for the internal memory, see the Performance section of the FAQ in my sig.

GO$Rs

This is something I suggested Garmin add support for - SDHC cards which have a much faster read/write time, similar to that if its own non-volatile memory.

This is something I suggested Garmin add support for - SDHC cards which have a much faster read/write time, similar to that if its own non-volatile memory.

SDHC is supported (or at least it works) on the CO. I've been using an 8GB SDHC card for a week or so with no issues. I've loaded maps onto the entire card.

GO$Rs