GPS 10 Bluetooth question

Hello all,

I currently have a laptop that I has Mapsource City Nav Nt and N'Route installed on it. I also have a 60 CSx that I'll use with this setup and I use the 60CSx as my antenna when using the N'Route software on roadtrips.

I'm thinking about buying a GSP 10 so that I don't have to have my 60CSx connected to the laptop. What I would like to know is if i buy just teh GPS 10 unit by itself will it work with my current setup or do I need an uinlock code for the GPS 10 to be able to work with my Mapsource/N'Route products?

I did call Garmin to ask them this question and the rep said it would work as is without an unlock code. I had another question later and called Garmin back and the rep I talked to the second time said no it wont work, I need an inlock code for the GPS 10 to use the mapping programs. Basically two separate phone calls to Garmin with 2 opposite answers so now I'm not sure if it will work or not.

Does anyone know for sure if I buy the GPS 10 unit by itself whether or not it will work without an unlock code?

Thanks for the help!

JetMonkey

Edited by JetMonkey

Hello all,

I currently have a laptop that I has Mapsource City Nav Nt and N'Route installed on it. I also have a 60 CSx that I'll use with this setup and I use the 60CSx as my antenna when using the N'Route software on roadtrips.

I'm thinking about buying a GSP 10 so that I don't have to have my 60CSx connected to the laptop. What I would like to know is if i buy just teh GPS 10 unit by itself will it work with my current setup or do I need an uinlock code for the GPS 10 to be able to work with my Mapsource/N'Route products?

I did call Garmin to ask them this question and the rep said it would work as is without an unlock code. I had another question later and called Garmin back and the rep I talked to the second time said no it wont work, I need an inlock code for the GPS 10 to use the mapping programs. Basically two separate phone calls to Garmin with 2 opposite answers so now I'm not sure if it will work or not.

Does anyone know for sure if I buy the GPS 10 unit by itself whether or not it will work without an unlock code?

Thanks for the help!

JetMonkey

The GPS10 is a bluetooth puck, right?

I got one to replace the TomTom puck that some nere'do-wells relieved from my truck.

Using Nav.5 on a LifeDrive good combo, works as well or better than the TomTom one.

Only codes were the pairing, pretty straight forward.

Norm

Both reps are right, depending on the value of "10".

The "GPS 10 Deluxe" includes a copy of City Nav and an unlock code. (I just walked to my lab closet and verified that's what came in the box.)

The "GPS 10" doesn't include an unlock, which is needed for Nroute with Garmin's locked map sets. It works out of the box with competitor's map products.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=158&pID=272

Honestly, unless you have some wild love for Nroute/Mapsource, I just can't see that being a $214 solution. $60 will get you a large choice of BT GPS receivers with receivers _way_ better than the Garmin 10. (I've used it in a car. I'm not impressed.) Add less than that again for Streets & Trips or Delorme or a similar program and you're good to go.

The disadvantage of this combination is that it's not Mapsource. You will have another program installed, with a different UI.

The advantage of this combination is that it's not Mapsource. The maps will be different. ("It's a mall, no, it's a cornfield....") You won't be bound to a specific GPS. You can shop and find a program that includes features you care about. Need multi-point route optimizations? S&T is pretty sweet. Need integration with Topo? Delorme rules that roost. Want both? Be a big spender, run something like Franson's GPSGate to multiplex the port and run both programs. Both programs + GPS + GPSGate is still < $214.

I drink freely of the Garmin kool-aid; I just think in this corner of the market their competition has a very strong footing.

P.S. If your laptop doesn't already have BT (that's like $10...but it's a klunky little dongle if you don't) you might realize you're not really free from the problem of cables anyway (a hobnob hanging off the laptop and yet more drivers and configuration points of failure, yay!) so you can go even further down the price scale and look at cabled products like http://www.semsons.com/mousgpsrec.html and stay out of the battery business. GPS 10 is like iPod; the batteries are not meant to be consumer replaceable. Even if you have the skills to do it yourself, LiIons aren't cheap in three years when it's time to replace it.

BT GPSes just aren't right for everyone.

Disclaimer: Customer of Semsons, no affiliation. Prices in USD. Experience with most products named above.

Both reps are right, depending on the value of "10".

The "GPS 10 Deluxe" includes a copy of City Nav and an unlock code. (I just walked to my lab closet and verified that's what came in the box.)

The "GPS 10" doesn't include an unlock, which is needed for Nroute with Garmin's locked map sets. It works out of the box with competitor's map products.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=158&pID=272

Honestly, unless you have some wild love for Nroute/Mapsource, I just can't see that being a $214 solution. $60 will get you a large choice of BT GPS receivers with receivers _way_ better than the Garmin 10. (I've used it in a car. I'm not impressed.) Add less than that again for Streets & Trips or Delorme or a similar program and you're good to go.

The disadvantage of this combination is that it's not Mapsource. You will have another program installed, with a different UI.

The advantage of this combination is that it's not Mapsource. The maps will be different. ("It's a mall, no, it's a cornfield....") You won't be bound to a specific GPS. You can shop and find a program that includes features you care about. Need multi-point route optimizations? S&T is pretty sweet. Need integration with Topo? Delorme rules that roost. Want both? Be a big spender, run something like Franson's GPSGate to multiplex the port and run both programs. Both programs + GPS + GPSGate is still < $214.

I drink freely of the Garmin kool-aid; I just think in this corner of the market their competition has a very strong footing.

P.S. If your laptop doesn't already have BT (that's like $10...but it's a klunky little dongle if you don't) you might realize you're not really free from the problem of cables anyway (a hobnob hanging off the laptop and yet more drivers and configuration points of failure, yay!) so you can go even further down the price scale and look at cabled products like http://www.semsons.com/mousgpsrec.html and stay out of the battery business. GPS 10 is like iPod; the batteries are not meant to be consumer replaceable. Even if you have the skills to do it yourself, LiIons aren't cheap in three years when it's time to replace it.

BT GPSes just aren't right for everyone.

Disclaimer: Customer of Semsons, no affiliation. Prices in USD. Experience with most products named above.

The GPS 10 I bought is the 'GPS 10x, it uses a removable lithium-ion battery for cell phones

Garmin #010-10840-00 or Nokia BL-5C. It's allegedly good for 22 hrs.

I got them from TigerGPS for way less than the TomTom replacement even w/ the 110 volt

power supply, and the Nuvi USB-b cord. the accessories may come in handy if I decide to pop

for the Colorado after April, that's the deadline for Maggie to SOGOTP.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Thanks for the info robertlipe,

Actually no real love affair with Mapsource or Nroute but I guess there is a method to my madness, I should explain a bit.

I have a 60CSx and a personal laptop that I use for everything.

I'm buying an HP tablet for travel since it's smaller and I don't want any personal info such as banking data on a travel laptop. I went with a tablet because using it on a plane or while driving somewhere should be much easier than a regular laptop.

Since I'm thinking about replacing my 60CSx (which has City Nav NT 2008 installed on it) with a 400t I wanted to secure a couple of things. I want to be able to use a routing program and do a clean install of City Nav since I'll probably sell my 60CSx. If I sell it I would include the current City Nav software with all codes associated with the unit so the new owner could access maps that are "locked" to that unit.

Buying a GPS 10 would give me the wireless Bluetooth routing feature (the tablet will have built-in Bluetooth so I wont have a USB thingie hanging off the side) and since the GPS 10 comes with City NAV I would get a clean full install so that it could be unlocked with the GPS 10 and the Colorado. I would be covering both bases (live routing and having City Nav). I know I can use the GPS unit instead of the GPS 10 puck but I'd prefer not to especially if I'm geocaching. That's really the reason for using NRoute I guess, hope this makes sense.

The GPS 10 can be bought online for $149 and since the City Nav costs about $129 alone it's like getting the bluetooth receiver for $20.

You're comment about other software and options has me looking a bit now. I wish Microsoft had free trials of their mapping software available. It looks like the Garmin GPS 10 puck would work with their program. So I may go the route I'm thinking but also buy something like Streets and Trips to play with , I think I saw it for something like $39.

Not sure yet if I'll replace the 60 CSx with a Colorado but if I do then the City Nav software that comes with the GPS 10 would cover it.

Sorry for the long post, hope this makes sense, i appreciate your comments.