Replacing my magellan explorist 500

I just sold my explorist 500 because of small problems I had with it. I also did not like the small joystick. I have been looking at the garmin 60csx. First I would like to know is the maping software for it compatible with vista, can I copy over to it directly without having to convert it. I hate having to use different software for the same task. How does it stand up to time. Any isssues I should know about. Recomended software updates. Cheep battery compartment. How does the data cable attach to it, Is there any problems with it like on my old one. I was thinking about buying one on ebay because they are too expensive out here in canada so are there clone out there to watch out for. Basically what I'm asking is compared to my old magellan explorist 500 Am I going to see and impovement and are there any downfalls. I know I'm asking alot of questions but I don't want to buy crap again.

I can't speak to the vista being compatible with mapsource, but if it is you can do everything you need within mapsource and no other program will be needed. Some of the cool geocaching features of the 500 won't be there by just using mapsource, but if you wanted the custom Icons, and hint description on the 60csx it would be possible, you'd just have to use garmins POI editor and something like GSAK to parse your .gpx file. If you just want cache locations and names just drop the gpx file from geocaching.com into the waypoints section on Mapsource and voila. I can't think of any issues. I believe there are versions of topo canada where the streets are routable, so you just need to get a copy of that and all your map needs for canada are done. The pc cable is a standard mini usb jack, much easier than that screw on adaptor for the explorist. You just need to pop off a rubber cover and plug it in, it is really easy. I can easily say you will be very pleased with the 60csx It is a great unit. It is however quite a bit larger than your explorist. The explorist is more along the lines of an etrex as far as size goes.

So all in all there are a few niceties that you might miss from the explorist, but as far as hassle free goes you'll be light years ahead of the explorist with the 60csx.

Does anybody know if I can convert all my backed up routes and poi files from magellan format to garmin. Also what is the difference between the csx and the cs. They look alike but from what I have seen it there is a better antana in the csx. THNX

Does anybody know if I can convert all my backed up routes and poi files from magellan format to garmin. Also what is the difference between the csx and the cs. They look alike but from what I have seen it there is a better antana in the csx. THNX

The 60csx has the Sirf III High sensitivity reciever chip the 60cs is the older model. Both look identical on the outside and the screens are the same I believe. The 60csx also comes with an microSD slot for adding memory where the 60cs only has the small amount of built in memory. Can't say for sure on the tracks or the poi, but I imagine you could import them into GSAK or similar program then upload to the garmin.

Edited by sanramonhunter