Best GPS software for Windows Mobile?

I'm geocaching with a setup I haven't heard anyone else mention. I've got an ATT 8525 Windows Mobile PDA/phone and an external, Bluetooth-connected Holux M-1000 GPSr. The receiver is a black box a little bigger than a box of wooden matches with 3 LEDs on it that transmits the data to my PDA. It's surely less-accurate than a dedicated GPSr with a larger antenna, but it's allowed me to find what I've looked for. It has the added benefit that it can also send its location data to a Bluetooth-enabled notebook computer.

I don't use the data connection from my cell provider. I just don't use the mobile internet often enough to pay the monthly charges. If I need the internet on the phone, I can go to a WiFi hotspot and get it for free. Thus, software like GoogleMaps won't work for me, because it expects to always have a data connection.

So, what I've been using is BeelineGPS. It displays the GPS info, allows me to load .gpx files, and lets me keep track of caches pretty well. I looked around a bit before downloading it, and it seemed at the time to be the best thing for my situation. It doesn't provide map overlays, but I wouldn't expect a shareware product to do that. So far, I've only been geocaching in places I know well, and haven't needed maps. I can always use paper maps when I need them, and will probably eventually buy something like Streets & Trips (which comes with a Windows Mobile version).

I've got a couple weeks left on the trial period for BeelineGPS, and I thought I should ask if I've overlooked something better before I go ahead and send in the registration fee. Though I might reg it anyway, since I've gotten good use out of it already.

I used to use a setup similar to yours when I started geocaching. I used a Dell Axim X50V with a GlobalSat BT338 Bluetooth receiver. I tried various GPS softwares for the PocketPC (BeelineGPS, Vito Navigator, GPS Tuner etc.). I personally liked GPS Tuner the best.

However, after a few months of caching, it became obvious to me that this setup is too fragile and I didn't want to risk losing other important data on the PDA.

I have sincel then switched to a "real" GPS :huh: ... I use the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx and Vista HCx now.

Edited by chuntu

I'm geocaching with a setup I haven't heard anyone else mention. I've got an ATT 8525 Windows Mobile PDA/phone and an external, Bluetooth-connected Holux M-1000 GPSr. The receiver is a black box a little bigger than a box of wooden matches with 3 LEDs on it that transmits the data to my PDA. It's surely less-accurate than a dedicated GPSr with a larger antenna, but it's allowed me to find what I've looked for. It has the added benefit that it can also send its location data to a Bluetooth-enabled notebook computer.

I don't use the data connection from my cell provider. I just don't use the mobile internet often enough to pay the monthly charges. If I need the internet on the phone, I can go to a WiFi hotspot and get it for free. Thus, software like GoogleMaps won't work for me, because it expects to always have a data connection.

So, what I've been using is BeelineGPS. It displays the GPS info, allows me to load .gpx files, and lets me keep track of caches pretty well. I looked around a bit before downloading it, and it seemed at the time to be the best thing for my situation. It doesn't provide map overlays, but I wouldn't expect a shareware product to do that. So far, I've only been geocaching in places I know well, and haven't needed maps. I can always use paper maps when I need them, and will probably eventually buy something like Streets & Trips (which comes with a Windows Mobile version).

I've got a couple weeks left on the trial period for BeelineGPS, and I thought I should ask if I've overlooked something better before I go ahead and send in the registration fee. Though I might reg it anyway, since I've gotten good use out of it already.

Check out CompeGPS. www.compegps.com.

They have some nice Windows Mobile based products.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try out most or all of the suggestions.

However, could you tell me why you think these programs are the best for what I'm doing? I installed a trial version of GPS Tuner just now, and on first glance I'm not crazy about how it loaded the .gpx files. All the caches came in as plain waypoints, rather than being marked as geocaches. I also don't see a way to access the additional information a .gpx has--the info seems to be just what you'd get from a .loc.

I'll keep messing with it, because some of its abilities are pretty snazzy. But could those who post be a little more descriptive, so I don't have to guess why your favorite program is good?

I have a windows mobile 5.0 Smartphone. All I do to get ALL my cache queries is to use GSAK to export the query to an html folder which is named "cache". Then I transfer the file folder "cache" from my pc to the smartphone.

I can view each and every cache in living color by opening the "cache" file folder in my smart phone and clicking on "index."

It's very simple and clean and easily viewed on the smartphone/PDA. And the GSAK program is free if you can get along with the nag screen. Give it a try!

I used WM5 PPC and garmin 10x:

For geocaching software: Cachemate, spoilerSync for paperless geocaching and seaching the caches with cacheNav.

Used Garmin Mobile XT for driving.

A good point was Garmin Mobile XT and cachemate was fully integrated and worked smoothly.

Paperless caching: http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopi...?f=6&t=7133

Cachemate and Garimin Mobile XT: http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopi...?f=6&t=4540