Micro Logbooks

Hi all,

I recently ordered some micro logbook's from cachebox.com, if they don't arrive in time, were can I buy the mini equivlent-size logbooks? (I've checked the staitionary section at my local shop-rite, its not there)

Thanks,

Phil

PS-Please don't suggest wal-mart, I have personal reasons for not shopping there (just search walmartwatch.com to see why)

Just out of curiosity - what is the real URL for cachebox.com? When I try to go to "www.cachebox.com", I get a web site that says the domain name is for sale and the listings have nothing to do with geocaching! I am always looking for new resources for caching stuff and like the others, I have gone to Staples or Office Depot and cut up the spiral bound notebooks - they work pretty well as long as you have the proper types of scissors to cut them.

Just out of curiosity - what is the real URL for cachebox.com? When I try to go to "www.cachebox.com", I get a web site that says the domain name is for sale and the listings have nothing to do with geocaching! I am always looking for new resources for caching stuff and like the others, I have gone to Staples or Office Depot and cut up the spiral bound notebooks - they work pretty well as long as you have the proper types of scissors to cut them.

You can use nearly any scissors. I just cut a few pages at at time. I find the fewer pages at a time that I try to cut, the smoother the cut will look at the end. If I'm using regular paper scissors I'll need wire snips to

cut the wire. If I'm using poultry shears , they are strong enough to cut through the wire.

You can go to TechBlazer.com This very classy gentleman has several different sizes of log pages that he has made available as free downloads. Just pick the size you need and dump them to your printer and use your scissors to trim them as needed. Hope this works for your application.

You can go to TechBlazer.com This very classy gentleman has several different sizes of log pages that he has made available as free downloads. Just pick the size you need and dump them to your printer and use your scissors to trim them as needed. Hope this works for your application.

There are many sources for log templates you can download and print out. Heck, even cachebox has that.

When I think of any logs for micros and nanos, that what I think of.

I use this method for both 35mm micros and also as the log book inside larger caches that will hold this clear 35mm with the log book in it. Waterproof both ways, as a cache or as a log book within a cache. For key holder mag micros, I don't roll the log up, I fold it twice (like you would a letter for an envelop) and place it in a bag in the keyholder. That would work for an altoids tin, too.

ef0c4218-6065-4df4-ae9e-b1caebcce1c8.jpg

I use this method for both 35mm micros and also as the log book inside larger caches that will hold this clear 35mm with the log book in it. Waterproof both ways, as a cache or as a log book within a cache. For key holder mag micros, I don't roll the log up, I fold it twice (like you would a letter for an envelop) and place it in a bag in the keyholder. That would work for an altoids tin, too.

ef0c4218-6065-4df4-ae9e-b1caebcce1c8.jpg

The bags in keyholders usually get ripped up pretty quickly. Its been my experience that keyholders make rather poor cache containers.

There's so many logsheets available on teh intarwebs it's kinda nertz! And so many different versions - I must've downloaded 2-3 dozen in everything from PDF's to RTF's.

Then one day I came across one I thought was a great idea....it was a whole set in one Excel file!

PDF's are hard to customize without the extra Adobe software....and I absolutely LOATHE trying to work in Word. But Excel is a breeze to manipulate, customize to your heart's desire, copy columns & paste to get several per sheet, any width & spacing you want, to fit any container, with cell framing so you can include lines for sigs, front AND back......and all saveable as a set of templates for future use - just open & click 'Print'!

And best of all - now instead of 30-some various files to search thru, it's all reduced to one convenient digital 'booklet'!

Here's my template for a pill fob micro that prints 1.6" wide. For the back, the cachename, 'FTF' spaces etc. are removed -- just the 'Date/Name' header & lines for sigs.

zLOG_ExcelSampler.gif

*^*

There's so many logsheets available on teh intarwebs it's kinda nertz! And so many different versions - I must've downloaded 2-3 dozen in everything from PDF's to RTF's.

Then one day I came across one I thought was a great idea....it was a whole set in one Excel file!

PDF's are hard to customize without the extra Adobe software....and I absolutely LOATHE trying to work in Word. But Excel is a breeze to manipulate, customize to your heart's desire, copy columns & paste to get several per sheet, any width & spacing you want, to fit any container, with cell framing so you can include lines for sigs, front AND back......and all saveable as a set of templates for future use - just open & click 'Print'!

And best of all - now instead of 30-some various files to search thru, it's all reduced to one convenient digital 'booklet'!

Here's my template for a pill fob micro that prints 1.6" wide. For the back, the cachename, 'FTF' spaces etc. are removed -- just the 'Date/Name' header & lines for sigs.

zLOG_ExcelSampler.gif

*^*

Thats a great idea. Do you share your Excel file?

Thanx Wayne. Re sharing - well, I haven't, (not sure how to in here), but that shouldn't be necessary cuz it's so easy to set up in Excel yourself.

Basically, just create one column - the trickiest part is getting it to the correct width to fit inside your chosen container, & best I can recommend is trial-&-error. Just print a few rows (to save both ink & paper while testing) trying a range of (close, but different) column widths, & measure them after printing or actually snip them apart & see how well they fit the actual container.

Once you get it right, copy that column & paste as many columns as will print on a sheet with 0 margins on Page Setup....make some reference notes just off the edge (like in my sample image), save it & good to go. You can copy one of the columns, open a new worksheet, paste it & start experimenting with widths again for another size container, save that one, etc., until you've built your own set.

Hi all,

I recently ordered some micro logbook's from cachebox.com, if they don't arrive in time, were can I buy the mini equivlent-size logbooks? (I've checked the staitionary section at my local shop-rite, its not there)

<snip>

why would you want to buy a logbook when you can download and print practically for free?

Jim

Hi all,

<snip>

why would you want to buy a logbook when you can download and print practically for free?

Jim

For one, the logsheets that you can download only have room for initials or a name. Some people like to have real logbooks, where people can write real logs.

Hi all,

<snip>

Jim

For one, the logsheets that you can download only have room for initials or a name. Some people like to have real logbooks, where people can write real logs.

well, most that I use have lines, just like note book paper and are a couple inches wide. Nothing says they have to limit themselves to one line. I suppose I could go buy something and then cut it up, but it seems simpler to put some rite in the rain paper in the printer and push the print button.

Jim