PDA Etiquette

Whilst I don't own an PDA and am unlikely to do so I am wondering what the protecol should be for logging caches and in particulat FTF's.

Access to a FTF is easier with a PDA and fruitless attempts to grab a FTF is eliminated with up to date information .

Should it be considered to be unacceptable NOT to log a cache 'in situ' on a PDA ?

What do you think everyone?

:huh:B)B)B)

Whilst I don't own an PDA and am unlikely to do so I am wondering what the protecol should be for logging caches and in particulat FTF's.

Access to a FTF is easier with a PDA and fruitless attempts to grab a FTF is eliminated with up to date information .

Should it be considered to be unacceptable NOT to log a cache 'in situ' on a PDA ?

:huh:B)B)B)

you've bought the gear so why should you then limit the functions when its use

I think you'll find most people don't log in the field as its just as easy or easier to do it from a desktop

:laughing:;);):D

FTF has nothing to do with when you log the cache. Being the first to sign the log does.

Maybe the use of a GPS is wrong also! But seriously Ithink I should be able to use whatever I like.

Sorry, but I feel you have all lost the point here. Obviously FTF is also FT sign the log ! What I am saying is that if you have all the gear then USE IT !

If you are after a FTF [and it is very competitive down here in Surrey/Sussex] you do not want to go searching at all hours of the day for a cache if you know it has already been found. Those with PDA's who already get early notification [a real advantage] should I feel log their find 'in the field' as soon as they have found the cache.

I for one cannot afford one of these luxuries and would have difficulty in justifying it's cost unless work related.

You don't need a PDA to log caches in the field. I do so on my very basic WAP mobile phone if I've left a travel bug or geocoin in a cache. I don't get up early enough for any FTFs these days but if I did get an FTF I probably would put a very brief note via WAP and edit it when I returned home.

Sorry, but I feel you have all lost the point here. Obviously FTF is also FT sign the log ! What I am saying is that if you have all the gear then USE IT !

If you are after a FTF [and it is very competitive down here in Surrey/Sussex] you do not want to go searching at all hours of the day for a cache if you know it has already been found. Those with PDA's who already get early notification [a real advantage] should I feel log their find 'in the field' as soon as they have found the cache.

I for one cannot afford one of these luxuries and would have difficulty in justifying it's cost unless work related.

So I think what you're saying is that people with PDA's and are FTF should log the FTF 'in situ' so that other FTF sharks who are on their way can see that it's been found and so not bother! There's method in the madness somewhere ;)

I'm not a FTF shark BUT occasionally I will dash out if I think I've got a chance of FTF, usually I've been beaten to it which doesn't matter I still get to log.

It's all about the numbers :laughing:

Edited......I have a WAP phone but still wait until I get home to do the logs......it's a hell of a lot easier and quicker

Edited by The Lavender Hill Mob

Owning a PDA, it does not really give any more advantage than seeing the cache listing come up and printing out the page. Yes you can log on the internet for the latest info but then as has been mentioned you could use a WAP phone. As for logging in the field we do not do generally do it as it can cost too much and can be too slow. It can take days if we are away from home.

Why should it make any difference? The fun is in the chase: if you do not enjoy not knowing that you may or may not be FTF then why bother chasing them? For us it is the excitement of the chase and the realisation that the first page is blank when you open the logbook :laughing:

Helen

Edited by T-girls

Edited......I have a WAP phone but still wait until I get home to do the logs......it's a hell of a lot easier and quicker

You're right... it is a bit laborious. The only time I use WAP in the field is if I've left a bug or coin because there appear to be a lot of 'impatient' cachers around these days and if I've been out all day or away for a weekend, it's not unusual to find that the T/B or coin has been 'grabbed' before I've had time to get home and log it into the cache. By the time I've grabbed it back, e-mailed the impatient cacher and sorted it all out, a simple bug drop turns into a week long exercise. I feel it's better to invest 10 minutes on a simple WAP log and get the bug or coin onto the cache page immediately after dropping it.

I remember having a FTF which I wasn't able to log until the following day as my net connection went down, which was a bit inconvenient for those following me. I think its all just part of the game though - you could just as easily be beaten by a couple of minutes and still had what for some would be a wasted journey.

Edited by muttoneer

PDA etiquette? We usually cock our little finger in the air as we are using it, as one does when drinking tea from fine china!

Seriously, we haven't a clue how to log anything using our PDA - we gave up trying to do that with GPXSonar years ago as it just doesn't work (for us). You might as well argue that using a GPS gives you an unfair advantage.... go right ahead and log your FTFs ASAP..

Now off with our clockwork GPS, parchment notebook and quill pen to do some caches.

I think you're getting your pda's and your xda's mixed up.

My pda's got no dial up facility on it at all - it's got wifi but that's not an awful lot of use in the middle of dartmoor.

I've got a personal mobile and a work mobile - both with internet access (whose hasn't, nowadays?) - but I'm not going to run up my phone bill just to log a find online when it could wait until I get home.......

Well from all your answers I guess i'm not missing much by not owning a PDA !

Agree that the fun is in the chase, but down here in Surrey we have an individual who will not think twice about going out for a cache at 1.00 am then up again at 6.45 a.m to get a FTF leaving us mortals to pick up the scraps at a more reasonable time in the morning!

The attraction of a warm bed, a few glasses on a Friday night and decent shuteye is always more appealing!

Thanks for your contributions.

You don't need a PDA to log caches in the field. I do so on my very basic WAP mobile phone if I've left a travel bug or geocoin in a cache. I don't get up early enough for any FTFs these days but if I did get an FTF I probably would put a very brief note via WAP and edit it when I returned home.

Using a WAP mobile doesn't send an email notification that a log has been made. The owner of the cache or TB will only find out by chance if they happen to see it whilst browsing through their caches or TB's.

Agree that the fun is in the chase, but down here in Surrey we have an individual who will not think twice about going out for a cache at 1.00 am then up again at 6.45 a.m to get a FTF leaving us mortals to pick up the scraps at a more reasonable time in the morning!

The attraction of a warm bed, a few glasses on a Friday night and decent shuteye is always more appealing!

some of our new RTB caches have remained unfound for an hour or two Nutter! Keep your eyes peeled this weekend...

Using a WAP mobile doesn't send an email notification that a log has been made. The owner of the cache or TB will only find out by chance if they happen to see it whilst browsing through their caches or TB's.

Sorry, Dave.... That's the best I can do. I figure I've done my bit, so from then on... it's their problem :laughing:

some of our new RTB caches have remained unfound for an hour or two Nutter! Keep your eyes peeled this weekend...

B****y bad timing again! Off to test drive out new geocars this Sat :anitongue:<_< . How about Sun a.m say @ 10.30 - That would be fine !!! My 'special equipment' is ready and waiting !