Cache need maintenance notification

Backup

I regularly go jogging or out for evening walks within 2 miles of my home. Though I often go past caches that I’ve found in the past, I generally ignore them. Every once in a random while I’ll check on a cache and a couple of times I discovered that the cache was in need of maintenance. In every case, when I checked the cache page, the problem was already noted in the logs, it was simply a matter of the cache owner had not yet gotten around to doing the maintenance because it was out-of-the-way from their normal routes. Fixing the caches, it has occurred to me that had I known about it when first noted I would have gladly done the repairs right away.

My suggestion is to have a voluntary notification option, much like the new cache notifications, that notifies individuals that a cache within selected criteria is in need of maintenance. It does not obligate anyone – and vastly increases the chances that a cache will be repaired quickly.

In other words, when a finder makes a log entry and chooses “needs maintenance” the log goes out as usual to the cache owner AND also to anyone who has selected a “Cache needs maintenance notification” option for a given area.

Sounds like a good idea!

Also, what I would like is that if I HAVE maintained someone's cache, is that I could remove the "needs maintenance" attribute for them.

We routinuely put in new log books, new baggies, sharpen pencils, dry out caches , clean out anything that has gone mouldly etc (and wonder why the person before us didn't do the same??) and then when logging that cache, would love for the owner not to have that nasty ole "needs maintenance" attribute showing anymore, because we have fixed what ever the issue is.

Annie

Sounds like a good idea!

Also, what I would like is that if I HAVE maintained someone's cache, is that I could remove the "needs maintenance" attribute for them.

We routinuely put in new log books, new baggies, sharpen pencils, dry out caches , clean out anything that has gone mouldly etc (and wonder why the person before us didn't do the same??) and then when logging that cache, would love for the owner not to have that nasty ole "needs maintenance" attribute showing anymore, because we have fixed what ever the issue is.

Annie

The cache is still in need of maintenance, even after you replaced the log book. It lacks an attentive owner.