Premier Geocoin Race III

Shilo

Time to start planning the 3rd edition of the PGR!!!!

Click on the PGR III link here for the latest updates.

Changed a race category and tweaked the rules a little to allow more activity. After all, the purpose of the race is to get geocoins out in the wild and moving around.

Please post questions here. No launch site or day is set yet but hoping to have it before Geowoodstock so racers can have a chance to go.

From the website....

Race Categories:

Greatest Overall Distance Traveled:

This is based on the valid mileage value on the geocoin page indicated on the line that says

"Travel Bug History (#.#mi)".

Placements By Different Geocachers:

This is based on the total number of different geocachers who place your racing geocoin.

Pre Race Rules:

--A geocacher may enter up to a maximum of 5 geocoins in the race.

--All geocoins must be trackable on geocaching.com.

--All geocoins entered must be registered by the coin owner (the person who entered the coin into

the race), have 0 miles logged and contain no log entries prior to the start of the race.

--Prizes will be awarded to the top racer based on greatest distance traveled and for most

placements by different geocachers.

--If the same coin wins both categories, then the prize for most geocachers will go to the 2nd

place coin in that category.

--In case of a tie in either of the categories, a tie breaker criteria will be established.

--All race winners will be contacted for there mailing information so I know where to mail there

prizes to.

--The race will begin TBD.

--Racer standings will be updated on a regular basis.

--The race will go for exactly one year.

--I will include a custom metal tag(donated by Oakcoins), see image below, to each coin with a

holed pre-drilled or drilled in them. Otherwise, the race owner is responsible for all race materials

attached to their racing coin. I will drill racing coins upon request.

Race Rules:

Prizes will be awarded in 2 categories as follows: Greatest Overall Distance Traveled and Most

Placements By Different Geocachers.

1. If you find a geocoin in a geocache and take it, please move it along to another geocache in a

timely manner(generally within 2 weeks).

2. Only log the geocoin into a geocache in which you get a smiley face for except if it is the only

geocache you place it in or it is the final geocache you leave the geocoin in. Example: geocacher A

does 4 caches, the first 3 must accompany a smiley face log on the cache page while the last can

be a note or smiley face log. Even though there is no limit set to this rule(yet), use common

sense and be courteous to other geocachers who would enjoy moving a racing coin.

3. If any of these rules are not followed, the owner of the geocoin may be asked to remove the

violating log entry. If the violating log entry is not removed, then the geocoin's race standings will

not be updated.

4. In the rare situation where an owner of a geocoin finds their own geocoin, they may move it on

to another geocache, but it may not be more than 50 miles away and you are limited to a

maximum of two movements for the duration of the race.

5. Please post rules 1,2 and 3 on your geocoin page. Send me a private message and I will send

you the html coding for your page.

I'm asking a dumb question because I didn't know anything about this - sounds really fun, BTW!

But how exactly are the coins launched?

Well several ways. The idea is to release all the coins at the same time. Last year's race I used a event just for releasing all 148 racers. I handed out all the coins to everyone at the event and they went and placed them all in caches.

I might do that this year again or I can put them all in caches myself. I could just get a big ammo can and make a cache to put them all in.

Hope you join the fun.

I know it is still early but a question... will you be mailing out the racer tags or will we send coins to you to have them tagged. I like the idea of all coins starting at the same event (if you are looking for some feedback.)

All coins will need to be sent to me so I can start them all from the same place. I will tag them and will even drill a hole for you if you want. I drilled several last year. Another reason I want them all is so I can put a watch on your racer and put them in the standings page.

Late arrivals will lose time because the race will start at the event time and go for year from that point. Like this year's race started on July 15, 2007 and will end July 15, 2008. I will start late racers in a local cache.

Well several ways. The idea is to release all the coins at the same time. Last year's race I used a event just for releasing all 148 racers. I handed out all the coins to everyone at the event and they went and placed them all in caches.

I might do that this year again or I can put them all in caches myself. I could just get a big ammo can and make a cache to put them all in.

Hope you join the fun.

Again, this is probably a dumb question but do they need to be released from the same place? I mean, couldn't we release them on the same pre-selected day but from our home area and track the miles traveled that way? If you hand them out at an event and then people start them from various caches, what's the difference?

The thought of putting all the coins into one cache makes me nervous, BTW. Even though holes would make selling them on ebay next to impossible, I could still see someone keeping the whole thing. Don't people steal coins from caches in Georgia? B)

I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm just trying to envision how it works and I tend to ask a lot of questions. :huh:

It does sound like something I'd like to take part in though! B)

Can racers from previous years tell me how they think it's worked for them?

Again, this is probably a dumb question but do they need to be released from the same place? I mean, couldn't we release them on the same pre-selected day but from our home area and track the miles traveled that way? If you hand them out at an event and then people start them from various caches, what's the difference?

Well I could let everyone release them from where ever but this is the way I chose to do it. For one it's just easier for me to keep track of the coins if I have them in hand and can then set up a standings page. 75+ e-mails is just to much for me to work through. And to answer your last question there is no difference.

The thought of putting all the coins into one cache makes me nervous, BTW. Even though holes would make selling them on ebay next to impossible, I could still see someone keeping the whole thing.

I'm working on an event launch like I had last year. The cache idea was an option and not my first choice.

Don't people steal coins from caches in Georgia? B)

Yes and cars, GPSr's and radio's and anything else. In Calif they steal catalytic converters off trucks. Geocoins get stolen from everywhere but I guess there seems to be a bigger problem here. BTW...my event option looks to be in Alabama, if that helps.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm just trying to envision how it works and I tend to ask a lot of questions. :huh:

You're not being difficult at all.

I have to go to work soon so I'll answer any other questions in the morning.

Hmm. July, eh? I've just started working on a coin design. Hopefully it will be finished by then and I can send one to the races!

I'm not sure I understand rule 2 (the smiley face rule). Do you mean that the coin can be 'dipped' into caches, as long as it is the first time the cacher has logged that cache? But they can leave the coin in any cache regardless whether they have logged it before?

Just a suggestion, but you might want to set up another thread on the forums, or add a section to your race website to start a list of volunteers who will move lagging coins in their area.

I'm not sure I understand rule 2 (the smiley face rule). Do you mean that the coin can be 'dipped' into caches, as long as it is the first time the cacher has logged that cache? But they can leave the coin in any cache regardless whether they have logged it before?

Correct :anitongue:

I was hoping I made sense of it all. I read it so many times I began doubting what I wrote.

Looks like I will release the racers from an event in early May. More details as I get them finalized.

Just my 2 cents. I hope you keep the idea of passing them out to people that attend the event. While even though a few never made it pass the start last year I think by passing them out to individuals at the event gives them a better chance to start the race moving.

Keep up the good work! I've been enjoying watching my racers in this years race. I look forward to the next one.

I don't know if I missed it as I only glanced through this thread. When will you start taking entries?

Edited by Eric K

Just my 2 cents. I hope you keep the idea of passing them out to people that attend the event. While even though a few never made it pass the start last year I think by passing them out to individuals at the event gives them a better chance to start the race moving.

Keep up the good work! I've been enjoying watching my racers in this years race. I look forward to the next one.

I don't know if I missed it as I only glanced through this thread. When will you start taking entries?

Yes I am planning on handing them out at an event. May 10th to be exact.

Also, I'm taking entries now :laughing:

With the assistance and idea from dflye, I'm going to use wire rope and ferrules to attach the metal tags and anything else you wish to the racers.

So make sure you specify that you want a card attached or anything else when you send your coins to me so I don't forget please!!!!

I think this will hold up better than the chains that usually come with the travel bugs tags.

With this, I need all racers sent to me BEFORE the event even if you plan on attending so I have time to do this and get your racer to the starting line. Last year 73 racers showed up within the 5 days prior to the race. I can't handle that again. My work week starts on Thursday night and I work weekends so no time will be available to prepare racers. If your racer is late it will be started late in a local cache.

With the assistance and idea from dflye, I'm going to use wire rope and ferrules to attach the metal tags and anything else you wish to the racers.

So make sure you specify that you want a card attached or anything else when you send your coins to me so I don't forget please!!!!

I think this will hold up better than the chains that usually come with the travel bugs tags.

With this, I need all racers sent to me BEFORE the event even if you plan on attending so I have time to do this and get your racer to the starting line. Last year 73 racers showed up within the 5 days prior to the race. I can't handle that again. My work week starts on Thursday night and I work weekends so no time will be available to prepare racers. If your racer is late it will be started late in a local cache.

Can we still drill them before sending?

If everyone needs to put rule 1,2 and 3 on the racer's page can we reword it? I think I know what your saying but I would clean it up a bit for a clearer understanding, especally if the coin ever got to another county and translations are needed.

"2. Only log the geocoin into a geocache in which you get a smiley face for except if it is the only geocache you place it in or it is the final geocache you leave the geocoin in. Example: geocacher A does 4 caches, the first 3 must accompany a smiley face log on the cache page while the last can be a note or smiley face log. Even though there is no limit set to this rule(yet), use common sense and be courteous to other geocachers who would enjoy moving a racing coin."

If everyone needs to put rule 1,2 and 3 on the racer's page can we reword it? I think I know what your saying but I would clean it up a bit for a clearer understanding, especally if the coin ever got to another county and translations are needed.

"2. Only log the geocoin into a geocache in which you get a smiley face for except if it is the only geocache you place it in or it is the final geocache you leave the geocoin in. Example: geocacher A does 4 caches, the first 3 must accompany a smiley face log on the cache page while the last can be a note or smiley face log. Even though there is no limit set to this rule(yet), use common sense and be courteous to other geocachers who would enjoy moving a racing coin."

Sure. If you come up with a better way to say what I meant let me know as well. All I'm trying to do is allow dipping this year as long as the cacher is actually out finding caches and not at home virtually logging racing coins into caches they already found. I can't stop the cacher who wants to sit at home a log virtual finds and dip coins either. Let me know what you come up with.

Edited by Shilo

I believe I have responded to everyone via e-mail. If not, please let me know.

If you have any questions or comments let me know as well.

Also, do NOT put your racers into the event. I will once I get them and put them on the website and get them ready to race. It's just easier for me to keep track of everything this way. It worked well last year with 149 racers. Thanks :laughing:

I'm leaving for Denver after work in the morning and won't be back until Thursday so there wont be any updates until then. :)

While I was gone racer's from Lazer, TazDevil091102 & LZ33 arrived. I will get everything caught up in the next few days.