Help me identify this Lowarnce iFinder?

I know someone who has a Lowrance that they want to sell. They don't know which model it is and i have yet to see it.

They say that it looks like the Go2.

It is not color.

It takes the maps using the mapping software.

They said that they paid $179 on clearance at REI about 1.5 years ago.

Does this sound like the iFInder plus?

Thanks!

You don't have enough details narrow it down enough. Really, all the mapping units look the same except for the outside case color. The GO2 has a red outside case. None of the mapping models have a red outside case.

Since you can narrow the choices to B&W models, it could be: ifinder, ifinder pro, map & music, phd, hunt, h2o, or explorer.

The "plus" means that the receiver came with the MapCreate mapping software. So you could buy, for example, an h2o that would be just the receiver and its on-board basemap, or an h2o plus that would be the receiver and MapCreate along with the proprietary SD card reader. Likely, the older models (ifinder, ifinder pro, map & music, phd) "plus" packages would come with MapCreate 6.0 (non-topo). The newer models (hunt, h2o, explorer) would probably come with MapCreate 6.3 (topo).

To narrow down the models, I'd have to know more, but the iFinders do have their model name on them if you can ask the person or see it for yourself.

Generally: the ifinder is not waterproof and has a lower resolution screen than the others; the ifinder pro is not waterproof; the others are waterproof; the map & music is disontinued but is specs-wise the same as the h2o; the phd is discontinued but is specs-wise the same as the explorer.

You don't have enough details narrow it down enough. Really, all the mapping units look the same except for the outside case color. The GO2 has a red outside case. None of the mapping models have a red outside case.

Since you can narrow the choices to B&W models, it could be: ifinder, ifinder pro, map & music, phd, hunt, h2o, or explorer.

The "plus" means that the receiver came with the MapCreate mapping software. So you could buy, for example, an h2o that would be just the receiver and its on-board basemap, or an h2o plus that would be the receiver and MapCreate along with the proprietary SD card reader. Likely, the older models (ifinder, ifinder pro, map & music, phd) "plus" packages would come with MapCreate 6.0 (non-topo). The newer models (hunt, h2o, explorer) would probably come with MapCreate 6.3 (topo).

To narrow down the models, I'd have to know more, but the iFinders do have their model name on them if you can ask the person or see it for yourself.

Generally: the ifinder is not waterproof and has a lower resolution screen than the others; the ifinder pro is not waterproof; the others are waterproof; the map & music is discontinued but is specs-wise the same as the h2o; the phd is discontinued but is specs-wise the same as the explorer.

There's also the Hunt, but you can't mistake it because it has the camouflage case, and it is waterproof.

Thank you both. It was definitely more involved than i thought.

I know that it has some kind of card reader that comes with it. I am assuming that the card reader is to install the maps. I have yet to find out what kind of maps. I am waiting to hear back.

They did tell me that it is not the H2o unit.

Thanks again for the info. :huh:

Thank you both. It was definitely more involved than i thought.

I know that it has some kind of card reader that comes with it. I am assuming that the card reader is to install the maps. I have yet to find out what kind of maps. I am waiting to hear back.

They did tell me that it is not the H2o unit.

Thanks again for the info. :huh:

I have Freedom Map for my IFinder Pro.

It turned out to be an iFinder Pro.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the iFinders have the problem that the Magellans do regarding not picking up the new WAAS birds?

I have a Go2 and it picks up at least one WAAS. I have not used it enough to see if it will pick up both of them.

Thank you.

Edited by knight2000

I have one of the Go2 models and it puts me closer to the caches than anything else. For a very primative GPSr, it does a heck of a job. Just wish it was easier to enter coordinates, etc...

I bought the Go2 for my son to use while caching. I have only tried it on one cache. It put me at 27' when i found the cache. From using other units i think anything under 30' seems about right.

The Go2 is a neat little unit! (Especially compared to the huge eXplorist XL!) I like it. I have fat fingers so i agree about keying in the coords. My wife and son have small fingers so i think that they will be ok.

I am hoping that the iFinder pro will pick up the WAAS sats. I also hope that you can upload waypoints to it.

Edited by knight2000

I have one of the Go2 models and it puts me closer to the caches than anything else. For a very primative GPSr, it does a heck of a job. Just wish it was easier to enter coordinates, etc...

I bought the Go2 for my son to use while caching. I have only tried it on one cache. It put me at 27' when i found the cache. From using other units i think anything under 30' seems about right.

The Go2 is a neat little unit! (Especially compared to the huge eXplorist XL!) I like it. I have fat fingers so i agree about keying in the coords. My wife and son have small fingers so i think that they will be ok.

I am hoping that the iFinder pro will pick up the WAAS sats. I also hope that you can upload waypoints to it.

It will pick up WAAS sats and it handles waypoints a little different then the Garmins which I find to be an advantage because you can copy as many sets of waypoints to the SD card as it will hold under different file names and load them to the GPS when you need them, and if you delete all of the waypoints from the GPS you still have them on the card.

If you go to Lowrance's website you can download the manual.

I don't know about the WAAS. My iFinder Expedition C -- the latest model -- didn't pick up the WAAS satellites for some time, but it seemed to navigate me just fine without them. The last time I used it about a week ago, I noticed it was receiving and using the WAAS satellite information.

For transferring waypoints, be sure to read Airmapper's tutorial. It should be all you need.

Also, Lowrance has it's own program called GPXtoUSR that will do exactly what the name says -- convert a GPX file into a USR file to transfer to the iFinder. It's really simple to use as you input a GPX file and it spits out a USR file with no effort, but I prefer to use Airmapper's method so I can customize the output to my tastes.