Claddagh Geocoin

CinemaBoxers

Hi folks...

I've been working on a coin design for some time now, and wanted to get a feel for interest before I moved into the 'serious' phase of producing the coin.

Many of you are familiar with the Irish Claddagh rings, and what they represent.

For those of you who are not.. I'll explain a little.

From About.com: The Irish Claddagh Symbol is named for the Irish coastal town of Claddagh (pronounced "clah-dah"), where the ring design is attributed to an ancient local legend. The now famous tale, about a townsman kidnapped into slavery, who returns to present a ring to his true love, is one of the most popular romantic tales of Ireland.

Despite the romantic story, Claddagh rings are a traditional token of loyalty and friendship as well as romantic love. The hands in the design represent friendship, the heart, love, and the crown, loyalty.

Well... due to the connection to friendship and love, (And the fact that I collect these!) I thought for a long time it would translate well into a coin. Of course, I would put my own personal spin on it, and I have a few ideas on something a little unique to make this a 'friendship' or 'love' coin - if you wanted to set it loose to travel.

Is this something everyone might be interested in? I've had the art in the works for some time now, and was getting ready to send it off fairly soon to the mint. Not quite ready to share it yet :rolleyes: but I do think that no one would be disappointed with my take on the concept and what I've done with the art.

Id love to hear everyones thoughts. And, I'll keep you posted. <_<

~P

I think it could really have potential, especially if it's done with the Claddagh symbol and then original artwork around it more than just celtic symbols.

Ireland is a beautiful country with many symbols and history that could really go into a coin like this making it truly beautiful!

Naomi :rolleyes:

Wow P, you continue to amaze me with your creativity. I would get some of these coins just from reading your description of your concept. Way to go! I anxiously await further info on the development and progression of this coin on it's journey to fruition.

Edited by Team FIREBOY

I'm very interested in seeing how this will be conveyed. I love the whole meaning behind the Claddagh rings and the eternity knots. Would you be tying this into geocaching the love and friendship aspect or would it simply be a Claddagh coin? Either way I would definitely be buying a few, your designs are always beautiful.

-SCYoli

Thanks everyone... yeah.. a little tease. Its a concept I loved, and have been working on for some time... but I just didn't know if the interest ranged past my own personal 'likes' of the subject!

Im glad to hear that many of you seem interested.... if the response is positive, you might be seeing this art - and coin - sometime soon.

:rolleyes:

~P

Celtic? - I LOVE Celtic! Any Celtic or Japanese art really thrills me!

The idea behind this coin is beautiful. Hey, I'd want some! I'd be wanting some to travel too - which is almost unheard of for me!

I am neither Irish or Japanese though - I'm a mixture of Scottish/German with some Norwegian and English thrown in for good measure.

Make the coin! Let us see the art! ;) Just do it!!! ;):laughing: I trust your art will be brilliant no matter what.

Image isnt showing up... which coin is it?

And.. honestly - if theres room for a different take on a concept - Im still pretty sure people would enjoy it.

I'm guessing the other isn't an easily available coin - I haven't seen it yet, but am getting ready to post my initial art.

It doesn't seem that many folks know about the other - if theres another out there.

We'll see!

Edited by CinemaBoxers

Ok... well, I'll share...

This is my initial art.

Versions would be available in a selection of Antique AND Polished metals with different enamel color.

I wanted the focus to be on the meanings, and look rather than putting too much color into it.

I went with an 'Antique' style Claddagh, rather than something too clean and finished.

3D front, 2D back.

:laughing:

claddagh.jpg

Being Irish/German myself... :laughing:

Us Irish/German mixes must be pretty common.... ;)

We must be

We are. ;) One of the largest self-identified ethic groups in the US per the Census.

Of course we are the largest self-identified ethic groups, both side are good for fighting and being right up in your face. thus we are counted easier. BTW can't wait to get me hands on the coin. MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT....................... :D

Mike

Ok... well, I'll share...

This is my initial art.

Versions would be available in a selection of Antique AND Polished metals with different enamel color.

I wanted the focus to be on the meanings, and look rather than putting too much color into it.

I went with an 'Antique' style Claddagh, rather than something too clean and finished.

3D front, 2D back.

:laughing:

Wow, that is truly a stunning coin! I'm definately going to order a couple of them!

gold and dark forest green enamel, or shiny silver and dark green. You could also do a Cobalt Blue and it would be gorgeous. This is a lovely coin. I am a fan of celtic knots. Thanks for the lovely idea. Please put me on the list when you are taking orders. Thanks. Ps. Our family is Irish as well. (one side of the family, anyway).