Colorado's Insides, Kinda'

No' I didn't open up my new Colorado 300' but after my ill-fated experience with water un-proofness sometime back, I did open up this dealer's dummy unit just to see how certain parts were "sealed"(.http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=184669&hl=IXP7)

I realize this is a dummy unit and it isn't sealed at all points of vulnerability as a real unit would be. What concerns me most is the area where the back latch engages to the body. colorado300zz3.th.jpg

I had wondered if this opening commuted with the internal electronics. Apparently, there's some sort of gasket/O-ring that not present here, in this dummy, that goes into this open squarish hole that otherwise commutes directly into the units internal electronics. Even so, it would have to form a seal by pressing against the somewhat flimsy, thin metal sleeve into which the SD card fits. This looks like a rather jerry-rigged configuration to me. Maybe this is the problem with Colorado's leaking so easily?

Edited by Didjerrydo

Be warned.

After opening the image, it takes you to a site partypoker that is hard to get rid of.

The only placed where water can get into the unit is trough battery ad SD slot.

The slots are protected while cover is on the unit.

The hole for the latch does not give hole into the unit itself.

Be warned.

After opening the image, it takes you to a site partypoker that is hard to get rid of.

The only placed where water can get into the unit is trough battery ad SD slot.

The slots are protected while cover is on the unit.

The hole for the latch does not give hole into the unit itself.

You'd really have to see this area "in the flesh" to see exactly what I'm talking about here, but believe me, it looks like a pretty poorly done way of sealing this area.

That's odd that opening the image causes a problem on your computer. On mine, it simply opens full screen when clicked on, then closes completly when you close that window.

If you have posted an image on the battery compartment cover, you see the part where the latch to lock itself. It looks like there are 4 holes, but it's not.

I have not seen how the sealing between battery compartment and front part looks like. It may be that part you are talking about?

I was able to close gaming site, but it did hang open for more than a minutes and then you do get a new warning closing it. I do not lake page with popup at all. (there are lots of free image sites that are less annoying).

Here is the direct url to the image above (no poker [:-)]):

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6011/colorado300zz3.jpg

I have similar experience with my GPSMAP 60CSX. When I open the battery cover you see the green print plate through hole where the screw must come. On the battery cover there is no rubber so it worries me a bit that water can easily enter the unit through this hole...

If necessary I'll upload a picture too.

Therefor I don't 'test' my unit a by purpose.

Regards,

Hans

You guys are all worried about the battery compartment, when it will be the rubber 'cover' for the USB and external antenna that will most likely leak. I don't think they made the unit very waterproof -- splash resistant is more like it. We'll find out for sure the first time I hit rain on the motorcycle.

And by the way, display units are often very incomplete as far as assembly -- you can't really judge the product by taking apart a non-working mock-up. Kinda like trying to eat the fake deserts they show you at restaurants.

Edited by qlenfg