Oh No! Small Ziplock Bags Outlawed in Chicago!

Next Chicago will outlaw eating in a place that is on fire.

Oh, wait, they did. Loony Laws]

I dunno, I kind of like this one:

A state law in Illinois mandates that all bachelors should be called master, not mister, when addressed by their female counterparts.

:huh:

I am going to try that one on my Girl Freind this weekend. B)

Think she'll still be your Girl Freind come Monday? B)

They outlawed these in Ca. for cake decorating, on my next trip to Nevada Hmmm. $$$$

They may not be allowed to ship to CA due to CA's 'take' on what causes cancer or other health risks. I work for a chemical company and we have special labelling for chemicals that CA considers to be cancer causing or otherwise a danger to the health of a person exposed to the chemical (birth defects etc).

Just a thought...

Two possibilities occur to me:

Seems to me that banning small ziplocks will worsen the drug problem. They'll have to start using gallon size baggies...and those'll hold a lot more.
In forcing the increase in quantities of drugs, anyone found carrying the smallest legal bag possible could be arrested for possession with intent to sell. They are looking to increase the penalty for possession, in a backward sort of way. :laughing:
Ald. Robert Fioretti (2nd) persuaded the Health Committee to ban possession of "self-sealing plastic bags under two inches in either height or width," after picking up 15 of the bags on a recent Sunday afternoon stroll through a West Side park.
Perhaps the alderman is looking for a discount on his drugs. Rather than paying $XXX for 15 small bags, he could save up to 20% on the "bulk" packaging. ;)
The stupidity of elected officials never ceases to amaze me.

One word:

"CHICAGO"

Let's leave the birthplace of Obama's political career out of this...

:D

;)

Citizens should demand all new laws carry a mandatory budget provision providing adequate funding for enforcement.

I'd prefer to see any law proposed demonstrate that it is constitutional, then make it retroactive. That should eliminate about 90% of them.

I am SO with you on that one!

A state law in Illinois mandates that all bachelors should be called master, not mister, when addressed by their female counterparts.

:laughing:

Ahhhh. You've hit on the very reason that I got my MBA. ;)

Citizens should demand all new laws carry a mandatory budget provision providing adequate funding for enforcement.

I'd prefer to see any law proposed demonstrate that it is constitutional, then make it retroactive. That should eliminate about 90% of them.

It would be a neat trick to have everyone agree on what's constitutional and what's not though. You've got folks out there that want to include international law in making a constitutional determination. Our fore-fathers are rolling around so much in their graves, we could probably use it as a source of generating power.

It would be a neat trick to have everyone agree on what's constitutional and what's not though. You've got folks out there that want to include international law in making a constitutional determination. Our fore-fathers are rolling around so much in their graves, we could probably use it as a source of generating power.

That's just the thing. Many people want to try to apply what the framers meant when they wrote the Constitution, rather than simply applying what is written. This gets people far afield and tends to invite consideration of other matters, such as international law.

;)

I've always preferred to be called Mister.... Something about being called Master has never sat well with me... Just my 2 cents

Shawn Baiter (AKA ReadyOrNot)

;):D:laughing:

They're clowns with no brains. As if outlawing thge bags will stop drugs!! Sounds like time to impeach the retarded city council.

I agree totally. It's a deadly combination of two things-1) Incompetent people being elected or given a post to satisfy the PC requirements in communities, 2) We are losing the war against drugs, and rather than city councils putting in effect resources (i.e. spending more money), that law enforcement needs to fully combat (and it is combat) drug manufacturing and trafficking, they instead pass useless legislation that will enable them to say to the public that they are committed to stopping it. Outlaw bags??????? Don't forget to outlaw spoons,mirrors and glass,aluminum foil,matches/lighters/bunsen burners. I have a better idea.....make all city blocks go circular in structure. No more 90 degree corners on sidewalks anymore. If there are no corners for dealers (or ladies for hire for that matter), then they we all become confused,lose income,have to get an education,get real jobs, and become upstanding members of their communities. With the money saved from combating drugs, the money can be used to build more parks which will lead to massive expansion of geocaching.

:unsure:

I am going to try that one on my Girl Freind this weekend. :huh:

Think she'll still be your Girl Freind come Monday? :blink:

Didn't work. I just got a real dirty look.

---Lt. Kevin Navarro, commanding officer of the Chicago police Department's Narcotics and Gang Unit, said the ordinance will be an "important tool" to go after grocery stores, health food stores and other businesses.

Yeah! Let's get those subversive grocery stores and health food stores! And... and... other businesses!

Yeah! Let's shut 'em all down!

Perhaps (perhaps) somewhat back on topic. While the concept makes no sense to me either, it appears that they're going to have to prove intent:

"Burnett was reassured by language that states "one reasonably should know that such items will be or are being used" to package, transfer, deliver or store a controlled substance."

So before coming to any conclusions about what was clearly meant to be a sensational (or at least eye catching) news story, it might be good to see just what this proposal actually says.

OK -- so only if your geocaching jones reaches the point of addiction would logs represent a controlled substance. Beyond that...

As the councilman correctly noted, all kinds of things are packaged and shipped in these containers. Next time you buy some lawn furniture (some assembly required), beware that the hardware may be packaged in such bags -- along with about a zillion other products.

:anibad:

I am going to try that one on my Girl Freind this weekend. :laughing:

Think she'll still be your Girl Freind come Monday? :huh:

Didn't work. I just got a real dirty look.

Then she probably wouldn't like living in Jasper, Alabama where this law is still on the city code:

Jasper

It is illegal for a husband to beat his wife with a stick larger in diameter than his thumb

Baggies are the least of their worries! :lol:

Yup! Drug possession, sales and distribution are already illegal in Chicago, as is littering, but being true to the nature of politicians everywhere, they'd rather create a new law than enforce existing ones.

Is there really anything to be concerned about?

If they are not enforcing the OLD laws, why would they enforce a NEW law?

At worst, we'll get our baggies back when this NEW law becomes an OLD law...right?

Perhaps (perhaps) somewhat back on topic. While the concept makes no sense to me either, it appears that they're going to have to prove intent:

"Burnett was reassured by language that states "one reasonably should know that such items will be or are being used" to package, transfer, deliver or store a controlled substance."

So before coming to any conclusions about what was clearly meant to be a sensational (or at least eye catching) news story, it might be good to see just what this proposal actually says.

In the quote you refer to, Burnett is concerned about items that come with small baggies used to package small bits...
Prior to the final vote, Ald. Walter Burnett (27th) expressed concern about arresting innocent people. He noted that extra buttons that come with suits, shirts and blouses -- and jewelry that's been repaired -- come in similar plastic bags.
...not to small baggies in the quantities that geocachers (or people who use them for crafts, hobbies, etc) would have.

The truly silly thing is, if these are outlawed, they'll just start using saran wrap, or just ignore the law. I'd think that possession of the drugs they want to put the baggies in would be a bigger offense than possession of the baggies. If they are already breaking one law, what's one more, after all?

At worst, we'll get our baggies back when this NEW law becomes an OLD law...right?

It's easier to enforce such laws against a law-abiding citizen than a dangerous criminal.

Here in Arizona it's gotten so hard to purchase Sudafed for a runny nose that we buy meth and cook it to make decongestant.

It's easier to enforce such laws against a law-abiding citizen than a dangerous criminal.

Here in Arizona it's gotten so hard to purchase Sudafed for a runny nose that we buy meth and cook it to make decongestant.

:laughing::P

truer words were never spoken

:D:laughing:

I have a funny example for you in this regard. Sue and I drink only raw milk and eat only raw dairy products for health reasons; we purchase them from organic farms up in PA, as raw dairy is totally illegal in MD, so much so that if the state even suspects that a farmer is selling raw milk products to consumers (that is, consumers who have asked specifically for raw dairy), armed agents arrive on the farm with drawn guns and arrest everyone in sight. Yet, if I wish, I can go to any street corner at the north end of my town and watch people purchasing crack cocaine, heroin and crystal meth on the street with impunity. Go figure! Strange world! :P

Hrm. So if they couldn't make an arrest on drug charges they'll instead make an arrest on baggie charges?

What actual problem is going to be solved by this new law? Nothing.

Arrest the people distributing/selling illegal drugs and be done with it. If I were a police officer and it came out that I needed a baggie law to help me do my job I'd down right embarassed.

:drama::anicute:

I have a funny example for you in this regard. Sue and I drink only raw milk and eat only raw dairy products for health reasons; we purchase them from organic farms up in PA, as raw dairy is totally illegal in MD, so much so that if the state even suspects that a farmer is selling raw milk products to consumers (that is, consumers who have asked specifically for raw dairy), armed agents arrive on the farm with drawn guns and arrest everyone in sight. Yet, if I wish, I can go to any street corner at the north end of my town and watch people purchasing crack cocaine, heroin and crystal meth on the street with impunity. Go figure! Strange world! :huh:

Are you allowed to milk your own cow?