60CSx firmware 3.60

jotne

Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.60:

Correct German translation of 'delete all waypoints'

Fix data card unlock failure when 2 cards of the same map set are used in one device

Improve sun times for polar regions

Fix issue where ETA in non motor vehicle modes can be unreasonably short

Improve robustness of compass when it would appear uncalibrated until a power cycle

Increase precision of distance measurement to the cursor on the map page

Allow backlight adjustment on the track back point selection page

Fix shutdown when editing Estonian Grid coordinates

Correct daylight saving time for New Zealand

Improve selection of the names of cross roads with NT maps

Correct potential shutdown when viewing a vertical profile

You can upgrade using Webupdater or download image using following links:

60CSx

http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1245

60Cx

http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1225

76CSx

http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1249

76Cx

http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1247

Edited by jotne

Oh, yeah - I got a noticeable change in performance. It went from a typical 60Cx to an expensive Garmin-branded paperweight.

Holding down the power button elicits a brief flash on the LCD screen, then nothing.

I've tried tips 'n' tricks as listed here, but to no avail. Obviously I'm not the first one on the planet to have had an issue during a firmware update, but I couldn't find a thread about it here - maybe I'm using the wrong search terms. At any rate, if anyone has any pointers beyond "Hah, dude, yer screwed!" I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Dred

I had updated to Ver. 3.60 some time ago, and when I was using the 60CSx recently, it was taking forever to boot up even if it was off for an hour. When I got home, I noticed that the tracklogs started out saying Mar 31, 2005 each time I started up the GPS. Each time the GPS was turned on, there was always a 2 or 3 point tracklog at the start, before it recorded the main tracklog, and this little tracklog on each startup would say Mar 31 2005. I reflashed the firmware, and it seems to boot up ok, but time will tell, if it gets sick again. Don't know if the problem is with the coding of the firmware, or the hit and miss of Internet downloading.

Oh, yeah - I got a noticeable change in performance. It went from a typical 60Cx to an expensive Garmin-branded paperweight.

Holding down the power button elicits a brief flash on the LCD screen, then nothing.

I've tried tips 'n' tricks as listed here, but to no avail. Obviously I'm not the first one on the planet to have had an issue during a firmware update, but I couldn't find a thread about it here - maybe I'm using the wrong search terms. At any rate, if anyone has any pointers beyond "Hah, dude, yer screwed!" I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Dred

The telephone is your friend in this case. Garmin support: 1-800-800-1020

Don't waste time on email. CALL them.

My 60 cx seems pretty much the same as before. I always pull the card out before doing updates. My theory is that that aviods some of these problems.

Sounds good, I guess I will try removing the card first, like I did with my Magellans, and do a reset all from the reset screen, when updating the 60CSx in the future.

Well, the email didn't go through anyway - their support page with all it's drop-downs and such netted me repeated hits on the "submit" button with no joy. Stupid coders.

And the phone was an approximate 1 hour wait time.

I called the Garmin store on Michigan Ave, and they said "sure, we can help you out, bring it down..." but before I did that, I wanted to make sure I wasn't being a moron about something. I rebooted the Mac as a PC and ran XP natively, made sure XP knew the GPS was there (even though it was dead, I could still hold down the power and the UP button on the 4-way pad to get it to be visible). It took a few... okay maybe 10 tries, but with the right combination of holding down buttons and letting them go at the proper time, I was able to get it to return to version 3.30. Whew!

I then ran WebUpdater again, and there were no issues. It may well have been some shenanigans with running XP-within-a-window on the Mac, so from now on I'll just boot it up as a Windows box when I have to do software updates. Map transfers go smoothly enough using VMware, though.

Thanks, y'all

Well, the email didn't go through anyway - their support page with all it's drop-downs and such netted me repeated hits on the "submit" button with no joy. Stupid coders.

And the phone was an approximate 1 hour wait time.

I called the Garmin store on Michigan Ave, and they said "sure, we can help you out, bring it down..." but before I did that, I wanted to make sure I wasn't being a moron about something. I rebooted the Mac as a PC and ran XP natively, made sure XP knew the GPS was there (even though it was dead, I could still hold down the power and the UP button on the 4-way pad to get it to be visible). It took a few... okay maybe 10 tries, but with the right combination of holding down buttons and letting them go at the proper time, I was able to get it to return to version 3.30. Whew!

I then ran WebUpdater again, and there were no issues. It may well have been some shenanigans with running XP-within-a-window on the Mac, so from now on I'll just boot it up as a Windows box when I have to do software updates. Map transfers go smoothly enough using VMware, though.

Thanks, y'all

Maybe you should try the Mac WebUpdater if you are running a Mac.

For software version turn on the unit,wait till the welcome screen goes off,press menu twice,select setup-press enter,select system-press enter,press menu,select software version-press enter ...software version 3.60...below GPS SW Version 3.00 ie chipset..below unit ID/serial #

For software version turn on the unit,wait till the welcome screen goes off,press menu twice,select setup-press enter,select system-press enter,press menu,select software version-press enter ...software version 3.60...below GPS SW Version 3.00 ie chipset..below unit ID/serial #

Thanks. I had tried everything but the that last menu, select software version-press enter step. Mine reads Software Version 3.50 and GPS SW Version 3.00 so I guess a little updating is in order. Interesting that Garmen lists the GPS Chipset Type G version at 2.90 on the web site.

I just got my 60CSx this week and did the update- no probs. I do find it interesting it was running version 3.4... the site doesn't list a 3.4 version!

I've not used it enough to know if there are any changes in how it performs. At this point it's a lot faster to start and acquire than my Vista was.

Are the patches cumulative? In other words, does version 3.60 include all of the fixes in subsequent patches as well? My friend has a 60Csx that is about a year old, or so...not sure what version his software/firmware is. It would be nice to know if only one download is necessary. He doesn't have internet access where he lives.

Also, maybe I missed something from the earlier post...but did anyone actually explain what the "GPS Chipset Type G Ver. 2.90 as of Nov 27, 2006 " update is? or, if it is even necessary.

If I remember correctly,after you upgrade to 3.60 it will ask you if you want to upgrade the chipset to 3.00.

It's interesting that Garmin's website only lists version chipset software 2.90, while using webupdate you can get software 3.00. So if you updated without webupdate, do a web update and select yes for the GPS chipset update, power-off, and after rebooting it will show 3.00 instead of 2.90.

Perhaps the speed improvements people have bee noted is in the 3.00 version of the chipset software.

I am running the Taiwan 2.50 version of the firmware (equivalent to 3.50 english firmware), and it seems to work with 3.00 chipset.

If I remember correctly,after you upgrade to 3.60 it will ask you if you want to upgrade the chipset to 3.00.

It's interesting that Garmin's website only lists version chipset software 2.90, while using webupdate you can get software 3.00. So if you updated without webupdate, do a web update and select yes for the GPS chipset update, power-off, and after rebooting it will show 3.00 instead of 2.90.

Perhaps the speed improvements people have bee noted is in the 3.00 version of the chipset software.

I am running the Taiwan 2.50 version of the firmware (equivalent to 3.50 english firmware), and it seems to work with 3.00 chipset.