Puzzle caches

Hello fellow cachers,

There are a few puzzle caches in my area that I would like to solve. One of them (supposedly easy) should be solvable here at my computer....or so they claim. The waypoint is coded. I have no frigging idea how to crack this code.

Is there anyplace to turn to for help or ideas just to give me a little hint? Or must I contact the cache owner and admit my utter failure as a cracker of codes? :rolleyes:

At least a few people admitted in their logs to also needing help so maybe it's not just me. <_<

:(

That's the problem with puzzles. They're always easy for the guy who made them. What you need is a mind reading device. Get into the cache owners brain and ask, "What the heck is this?!"

Seriously, not every puzzle is for every person. Take a look at it, and if you don't recognize the coding pattern, just keep it in the back of your mind. Maybe you'll encounter something similar along the way that might give you an idea...and maybe not. Every puzzle is different, and none have any guarantee that you'll be equipped to solve it.

Check out this cache. It gives lots of tips for solving Puzzle caches. :rolleyes:

Awesome description. I have starter notes for creating a cache with that theme... but mine probably wouldn't have been as good as rjbloom's.

My usually process for solving hard puzzles is to try for a while, then set it aside. Then try a few days/weeks later, then set it aside. Maybe recruit friends or co-workers with other interests to help out (like the HAM radio buff, or the web guru, or the surveyor). Occasionally mull it over in my spare time. I've had the "AHA! moment while driving down the road, while in the shower, and while daydreaming during meetings.

Also, after I've tried and failed to solve a puzzle on my own, and especially if it's a long way from home and I'm going to be in the area soon, I have no problem with emailing owner and asking for non-spoiler hint. They're usually happy to give me a nudge in the right direction.

In IE, view the source using menu View->Source. You have to scroll way down to get to the user-editable stuff like descriptions, but I've also seen information hidden in code in the hider's name.

Edited by J-Way
Hello fellow cachers,

Is there anyplace to turn to for help or ideas just to give me a little hint? Or must I contact the cache owner and admit my utter failure as a cracker of codes?

There are lots of links around, searching the forums might turn up something, but asking the CO for guidance it the best option.

As a CO or many puzzle caches, I never view an inquiry to one of my caches as failure.

In fact, I find the feed back very helpful.

I think you'll also find that greater respect is given to cachers that communicate with the CO, over those that contact other players to pry out hints and answers. (At least that's been the vibe in these forums over the last few months)

My usually process for solving hard puzzles is to try for a while, then set it aside. Then try a few days/weeks later, then set it aside. Occasionally mull it over in my spare time. I've had the "AHA!" moment while driving down the road, while in the shower, and while daydreaming during meetings.

This is the way I have solved many puzzle caches. Sometimes it has taken over a year for this back-burner method to work, but it's always a very pleasant surprise when it does. :huh:

I can't view the cache as I'm not yet a premium member (soon if I get what I want for Mother's Day!).

But thanks one and all for the tips. I'll check into that book and drop the CO an email.

As for daydreaming about caching during meetings? I already do that. :huh:

I will await the lightbulb moment. It seems these get fewer and far between with age....but hope springs eternal. B)

I think you'll also find that greater respect is given to cachers that communicate with the CO, over those that contact other players to pry out hints and answers. (At least that's been the vibe in these forums over the last few months)
Isn't that the truth... I HATE it when other cachers bug me for hints on other people's puzzles. I always start off polite in my replies, but sometimes people just won't go away.

Just email or PM the cache owner. I've NEVER received a rude reply when I've done this, although the answers have ranged from very helpful to no use at all.

My usually process for solving hard puzzles is to try for a while, then set it aside. Then try a few days/weeks later, then set it aside. Occasionally mull it over in my spare time. I've had the "AHA!" moment while driving down the road, while in the shower, and while daydreaming during meetings.

This is the way I have solved many puzzle caches. Sometimes it has taken over a year for this back-burner method to work, but it's always a very pleasant surprise when it does. :anitongue:

We're in good company, it turns out, as it appears that Einstein agrees with us. <_< I just noticed this quote in Rattlebars' sig line:

"The intellect has little to do on the road to discovery. There comes a leap in consciousness, call it intuition or what you will, and the solution comes to you and you don't know how or why." -- Albert Einstein

Hello fellow cachers,

There are a few puzzle caches in my area that I would like to solve. One of them (supposedly easy) should be solvable here at my computer....or so they claim. The waypoint is coded. I have no frigging idea how to crack this code.

Is there anyplace to turn to for help or ideas just to give me a little hint? Or must I contact the cache owner and admit my utter failure as a cracker of codes? :unsure:

At least a few people admitted in their logs to also needing help so maybe it's not just me. :D

B)

See if this helps, if it doesn't it's interesting anyway: http://www.simonsingh.com/The_Black_Chambe...uencypuzzle.htm

:unsure::blink::huh::):D:D:blink::huh::) Can any one tell me the code that the above is? Here it is on this page:

GOSDS OBOCB OYLOY DOVDT JUEEH

ENROO CUTWF OMWGO SBOOR TENTT

YEFET DEYPN ESFOI GFIIN RIVNE

ENOND IIRER GNTHE HEHUD TNONT

WFEST EOGEP NURIO TREGI YDEHN

TFEEX ZOVSX EUETX RRNXX OSWXX :D:D:wacko:

It's highly unlikely that anyone will just give you the solution to a puzzle cache because you've asked in the forums (of course, now that I've said that, someone will go behind my back and do just that). Have you tried emailing/PM'ing the cache owner for a hint? Most owners can be quite helpful, at least after someone manages the FTF on their own.

:laughing::anibad::huh::o:o:o;):DB) Can any one tell me the code that the above is? Here it is on this page:

GOSDS OBOCB OYLOY DOVDT JUEEH

ENROO CUTWF OMWGO SBOOR TENTT

YEFET DEYPN ESFOI GFIIN RIVNE

ENOND IIRER GNTHE HEHUD TNONT

WFEST EOGEP NURIO TREGI YDEHN

TFEEX ZOVSX EUETX RRNXX OSWXX B)B):lol:

Is it ciphered and also in a foreign language?

::shrug::

I suck at puzzles but I'm getting better.

The puzzle that I was having the hardest time with was bothering me so bad and I finally just quit trying. The hint just said "round". A few weeks later, I was on my way to another cache and saw a sign post that said "Round Top". I screeched to a halt and guess what I found? :-) I still wish I could have solved the puzzle.

I have a system for puzzles.

If the page is in code

If the page is in code with no hint

If the page is just a photo with nothing else

If the page is full of information that I do not understand

If the page requires inforation on a subjuct I have not interest in

I just do not do the puzzle.

As some one else mentioned. The people the make up the puzzles think they are easy, to them maybe.

About the only time I will make an exception to my list above is when I am trying to hide a cache

an there is a puzzle cache in the area.

Recently I decided to put puzzle caches into my ignore list.

Thanks redtech, TrailGators, and J-Way. And J-Way, you were right, someone did do it behind your back. And never mind those post, that person gave med hints to figure it out.

I would of thought you could figure that one out without any help, plus you took all the fun out. <_< I will doing that cache soon, once I get moved a little closer south.

So I put one of the puzzles away and came back to it last night. It is a page with numbers on it that you cut out and fold to get the waypoint. I had an idea of what it should come out looking like but I couldn't figure out how to fold it properly. An email to the cache owner has as of yet gone unreplied to.

So I'm looking at this thing and my 11 year old goes, "Oh I know how to do that!" and proceeds to pull up a youtube of a boy teaching how to fold the paper - step by step.

I was laughing my butt off. I've been struggling for weeks and my kid solves it in about 2 minutes. <_<

:unsure:

I am one of those fiends that sets puzzle caches from simple ones to horrendous ones. The hardest to set are actual the simple easy ones: it's always easy to bamboozle.

If you are going to use a 'coding system' then you must give a clue either in the title or elsewhere to what the coding system is. For instance (not mine) "Top Spot" in Berkshire is quite obviously a palindromic cache and with the rest of the cache description there are only two or three possible locations.

Chizu's Box Clever in Scotland is a good example of a solvable and clever puzzle cache. If a cache needs 'google research' then there must be 'phrases' or 'clues' to aid the research.

Coding system caches such as Highclere Binary Cache must must allow the cache to be unravelled without guesswork. This is where the clue helps. In this cache nothing was transparent but it all fell out quite easily.

Setting Puzzles is fun and generally I want my caches to be visited so I try really hard for them to be solvable.

I hate puzzle caches, as I can NEVER solve them! Except two, one was just a online puzzle you put together to get the coordinates. The second one was a simple algebra problem so it was easy too.

But being an engineer, I am thinking of doing one related to either calculus or physics, my two favorite subjects in college...hmmm...maybe one where you have to solve a integral, or something like that? Would that be too hard?

i Probably have the easiest puzzle cache out there, all you gotta do is find three caches with the coords in the logbook....................... all in the same park.................. and all three are my caches

i probably should have done that in a much larger park. and i just might

I am new to the hobby, but in the two weeks that I have been caching, there is a cacher in my area that has a series of nine puzzle caches that give tips on solving puzzle caches or puzzles in general (be warned - the lessons are lengthy). I would imagine that there are similar puzzle caches out there like his. I have started working on the puzzles and they seem to be useful for me. Maybe his lessons will help you.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=ePeterso2

Edited by dday25

So I put one of the puzzles away and came back to it last night. It is a page with numbers on it that you cut out and fold to get the waypoint. I had an idea of what it should come out looking like but I couldn't figure out how to fold it properly. An email to the cache owner has as of yet gone unreplied to.

So I'm looking at this thing and my 11 year old goes, "Oh I know how to do that!" and proceeds to pull up a youtube of a boy teaching how to fold the paper - step by step.

I was laughing my butt off. I've been struggling for weeks and my kid solves it in about 2 minutes. :)

:)

This sounds like an interesting puzzle. Could you provide a link or name so I could check it out?

At an event last year, and at the Mid-West GeoBash, one of the local cachers (who has since also become a reviewer) put on a presentation about how to solve puzzles. There was a Power Point presentation, and there's a video of the presentation, too. I'd love to say it helped me, but it didn't, really. :P I do know it helped several others, though.

But as noted, one of the best sources for information is to talk with the cache owner. I just got an e-mail tonight about two puzzles from a cache owner who likes 'our caches to be found.'

One puzzle type is the 'odd font' method. That's what I just got big hints for. Now, I just need to spend the time to break the puzzles.

I have managed to solve a few puzzles on my own, but most of the time, I don't even bother. My brain isn't geared for it.