Garmin 660 vs ATT Tilt vs Iphone

I am literally looking for a vote on this. And I am looking for opinions. Assume that I already have a basic cellphone (no contract) with unlimited TEXT messaging. Assume I have a Palm TX PDA (can browse internet, etc.). Assume I have $350.

Garmin Nuvi 660 for $350 - has bluetooth, fm transmiter, mp3 player, GPS, picture viewer, proprietary software. lasts 4 to 8 hours on battery.

AT&T Tilt for $350 - has WIFI, bluetooth, GPS, WM6, email, etc. All software included. Lasts 4 to 8 hours on battery.

Iphone (refurb) for $350 - has wifi, bluetooth, GPS (sort of), email, etc. All software included. Lasts 10 to 20 hours on battery.

You forgot to state the question or what you are trying to accomplish.

But, with the Tilt you can dump the Palm.

With the iPhone...you have to take the iPhone data plan if you go with

AT&T. You can't dump the Palm. and you will have to jail break your iPhone to run applications. However you will have great mobile internet. You may or may not be able to dump the palm...except for the lack of caching applications for the iphone. I'm sure that will change, but not just yet.

The Garmin. It's certainly a beter GPS than the non GPS phones above. However for everthing else the other two beat it.

I have the Tilt, and I love it. It is my first GPS of any sort, though I have tried others. And as a PDA/computer it is AMAZING.

Personally, I think the iPhone is too limiting and "glitzy over function." Just my 2 cents... not trying to start a war. ;)

Edited by SeekerJBP

I've been geocaching with the Tilt (in the form of the TyTN II) for the last few months, and it's been great. You can be paperless and computerless: A single device to identify nearby caches, obtain walkers' maps of the area, navigate to the cache while listening to mp3s, read the clues, phone a friend, log the find and take photographs. If 3G or Wifi is available, you've got access to geocaching.com; and if you not you can use an offline database like Cachemate. There's loads of other great software applications for it too.

However, unlike some of the rugged dedicated GPS devices, it's not a device you'd want to drop on the ground or in the mud. So you might want to factor into the cost a protective case like an Otterbox 1900. The device is still usable inside the case, but also waterproof and drop-protected.

You forgot to state the question or what you are trying to accomplish.

But, with the Tilt you can dump the Palm.

With the iPhone...you have to take the iPhone data plan if you go with

AT&T. You can't dump the Palm. and you will have to jail break your iPhone to run applications. However you will have great mobile internet. You may or may not be able to dump the palm...except for the lack of caching applications for the iphone. I'm sure that will change, but not just yet.

The SDK must be close to being released. Maybe a week away? I can't wait. The iPhone is the most awesome phone I've ever had, and it just keeps getting better.

I vote Tilt.

On the other hand, if you are willing to wait - the IGO-8 for iPhone prototype was displayed at CeBIT. This will be a native GPS solution for the iPhone.

With the SDK launch today, the iPhone (and the coolness) keeps getting better. Soon there will be a cache manager software for iPhone. :rolleyes: