Garmin - 60CSx or Vista HCx

Looking to update my current GPSr (Magellan SporTrak Map) not sure which Garmin model to go with the GPSMAP 60CSx or the eTrex Vista HCx. They look pretty comparable (on paper anyway), any advice? Pro's or con's to either?

kcomeara

I chose the Vista HCx for these reasons:

1) Crisper, brighter screen (although a little smaller)

2) Easier to mount to handlebars (smaller unit)

3) Satellite reception is FANTASTIC (6 sats indoors)

Welcome to the Forums! ;)

I chose the Vista HCx because I like the smaller size for hiking. I have used the Map60CSx, but really prefer the buttons on the Vista HCx and the navigation with the "click stick."

Hello Miragee.

From past posts that I have seen, it would seem that you have used both the Vista HCx and the Map60CSx extensively. Have you encountered any notable differences in the in-built screen displays between the 2 units (for the same functions) and whether or not one has certain functions / screen displays that the other doesn't ? Does one unit require more steps to get to a certain screen for any function (that might be worth noting) ? I only want to use a GPSr for hiking (will include very remote forest / national park areas). I'm not interested in Geocaching or auto use.

I know the comparison between the 2 units has been discussed any number of times in this forum, however I would appreciate your advice as I am located in Australia and it isn't just a simple matter of returning a unit if I need to if I buy one direct from a USA supplier.

Thank you very much in advance Miragee for your time.

I have had the Garmin Vista, Vista C, and Vista HCx. Friends of mine have the 60 Series GPS units I have occasionally used. I can use my Vista HCx in the dark because the buttons have specific functions, and the "click stick" is used for Navigation, as well as for "Enter." I cannot use a Map60C Series in the dark. There are too many buttons, too close together, and there is an "Enter" button that has to be hit to complete a function. That is awkward for me, although if I used that model exclusively, I guess I would get used to it.

I have both the auto-navigation maps, and Topo maps, on my Vista HCx. I believe for auto-navigtion there is another screen on the 60 Series the Vista doesn't have that shows upcoming turns, but for hiking, I think the screens are the same. Each can be customized to include the data important for you. On the map page, I have the Arrow and Distance. On the Compass page, I have the Distance, Accuracy, and Name of Waypoint.

I hope this helps. ;)

I have both units and you will not go wrong with either one you pick. Most of the time, especially on hikes, I carry the 60 CSX as my primary unit and the Vista as my back up GPS.

I find the Odometer to be more accurate on the 60 CSX than the one on the Vista but no real difference in navigation. Both are great units..

I have had the Garmin Vista, Vista C, and Vista HCx. Friends of mine have the 60 Series GPS units I have occasionally used. I can use my Vista HCx in the dark because the buttons have specific functions, and the "click stick" is used for Navigation, as well as for "Enter." I cannot use a Map60C Series in the dark. There are too many buttons, too close together, and there is an "Enter" button that has to be hit to complete a function. That is awkward for me, although if I used that model exclusively, I guess I would get used to it.

I have both the auto-navigation maps, and Topo maps, on my Vista HCx. I believe for auto-navigtion there is another screen on the 60 Series the Vista doesn't have that shows upcoming turns, but for hiking, I think the screens are the same. Each can be customized to include the data important for you. On the map page, I have the Arrow and Distance. On the Compass page, I have the Distance, Accuracy, and Name of Waypoint.

I hope this helps. ;)

I have both units and you will not go wrong with either one you pick. Most of the time, especially on hikes, I carry the 60 CSX as my primary unit and the Vista as my back up GPS.

I find the Odometer to be more accurate on the 60 CSX than the one on the Vista but no real difference in navigation. Both are great units..

Thanks Miragee / big rick

I think it might be best for me to have 2 units anyway as a backup unit is really a "must" for where I intend going. So I think I'll end up having purchased one of each.

...I only want to use a GPSr for hiking (will include very remote forest / national park areas). I'm not interested in Geocaching or auto use.

In that case it's a no brainer, unless you intend on packing an external aerial then the HCx wins hands down on every count. Better battery life, brighter screen, easier to use with one hand, more ergonomic.

If you need two gps then you are better off with 2 HCx's because the 60CSx buttons are very clumsy, unergonomic and illogical. One can get used to it, (although I still haven't) but switching between the two will send you crazy. After a very short time the HCx feels like it's a part of you.

Regarding the buttons on the front, for use in a car, that's a red herring.