Ordered My First Coins Tonight

Tlehman1

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't put that in there. I bought two tonight.

1. Cryptic Newton geocoin - antique copper

2. Air Force Geocoin

and thank you for the welcome.

I originally purchased them to put out into a cache, now that I'm looking at them, I'm not sure if I want to. maybe stash them away with my collection of challenge coins.

Thank you, I think I'll be sticking around for a while. I'm hooked!!!

More like doomed! B) ...Trust me Doomed is better fitting :D Last time I went to take count I decided to weigh my coin collection instead, just seemed easier :D When I grabbed all my coins and placedthem on the scale I couldnt believe my coin collection weighed a whopping 75 lbs!!! I can only estimate it has plumped up to 85-90 lbs by now :D Guess my coin collection gains weight as I do! :)

But dont worry...Doomed aint so bad, except on your wallet B) ...I love my coins, just gotta figure what to do with em all now!!! Got a whole slew ready to update my trades list soon!

Welcome and enjoy all that these forums and these little shiny inademate objects of joy has to offer!

More like doomed! B) ...Trust me Doomed is better fitting :D Last time I went to take count I decided to weigh my coin collection instead, just seemed easier :D When I grabbed all my coins and placedthem on the scale I couldnt believe my coin collection weighed a whopping 75 lbs!!! I can only estimate it has plumped up to 85-90 lbs by now :D Guess my coin collection gains weight as I do! :)

But dont worry...Doomed aint so bad, except on your wallet :D ...I love my coins, just gotta figure what to do with em all now!!! Got a whole slew ready to update my trades list soon!

Welcome and enjoy all that these forums and these little shiny inademate objects of joy has to offer!

I am pretty new to this geocoin collecting, but am getting into it more and more. B)B):)

Where do people post their "trading lists"?

More like doomed! :D ...Trust me Doomed is better fitting B) Last time I went to take count I decided to weigh my coin collection instead, just seemed easier :D When I grabbed all my coins and placedthem on the scale I couldnt believe my coin collection weighed a whopping 75 lbs!!! I can only estimate it has plumped up to 85-90 lbs by now B) Guess my coin collection gains weight as I do! :)

But dont worry...Doomed aint so bad, except on your wallet :) ...I love my coins, just gotta figure what to do with em all now!!! Got a whole slew ready to update my trades list soon!

My thinks you're right about the "doomed" part Since I think most of us has an addictive personality- We must since we're addicted B):D

Welcome back Dave, hope you are getting some sleep :D

My thinks you're right about the "doomed" part Since I think most of us has an addictive personality- We must since we're addicted B):D

Welcome back Dave, hope you are getting some sleep :)

Sleep...whats that??? Actually I found an old fashion remedy for that...Its called Morphine :) ...Just kiddin, actually Ive sleeping on the couch, not because I get better sleep, but because sweetpea puts little Emerald in the middle and wont let me sleep next to her :D ~ hey Im a big guy and tend to thrash around at night! It sucks but at least I get sleep and little Emerald is safe from the Mad Thrasher!

B):DB)

I am pretty new to this geocoin collecting, but am getting into it more and more. :D:):D

See the link at the bottom of my post? You can go there (geocoincollection.com) or cointracking.com, just sign up and start your trades list. There is a yearly fee though

I am pretty new to this geocoin collecting, but am getting into it more and more. :D:):D

See the link at the bottom of my post? You can go there (geocoincollection.com) or cointracking.com, just sign up and start your trades list. There is a yearly fee though

There's Also Cointracking ( Sorry, I Don't know how to link B) )

007BigD . . . at least the couch is probably closer to the computer :DB)

I'm new to caching and collecting as well. I received my first coin yesterday (Four Elements Coin) and was so in love, putting it in my first cache this afternoon was PAINFUL! So instead I ordered a second one as soon as I got home. [:)] That should ease the heartbreak... until I receive my next order, cuz of course I couldn't get just one.

I'm new to caching and collecting as well. I received my first coin yesterday (Four Elements Coin) and was so in love, putting it in my first cache this afternoon was PAINFUL! So instead I ordered a second one as soon as I got home. [:D] That should ease the heartbreak... until I receive my next order, cuz of course I couldn't get just one.

And a Big WELCOME to You, Princepesa :D . That's the spirit . . . If you want to collect And set forth, one needs to buy 2 of each (just kidding :) )

I purchased my first coin on February 6th and as of today I have/will own 19 22 coins. But shhhh...don't tell my husband! :D

Actually I've figured out that buying several coins at once will help me a) feel good about releasing one b ) still allow me to hold my coin whenever I want to feel reassured and c) give me something to hopefully trade or sell in the future.

And since the subject of trading has already been brought up here - do many of you trade successfully very often? When I look at the trades list it seems that more people are holding coins than trading them. I'm just curious as to how that all works. You just pick someone who lists a coin for trade that you would like and then see if they'd like one of yours in exchange?

[edit] I just saw the post about the Wonderful Discoveries!! OMG this is addicting! :D

:)

Edited by ThePetersTrio

I purchased my first coin on February 6th and as of today I have/will own 19 coins. But shhhh...don't tell my husband! :)

Actually I've figured out that buying several coins at once will help me a) feel good about releasing one b ) still allow me to hold my coin whenever I want to feel reassured and c) give me something to hopefully trade or sell in the future.

And since the subject of trading has already been brought up here - do many of you trade successfully very often? When I look at the trades list it seems that more people are holding coins than trading them. I'm just curious as to how that all works. You just pick someone who lists a coin for trade that you would like and then see if they'd like one of yours in exchange?

A good place is the thread that is first in the top box called geocoin trading. And If there is a coin or 2 that really strikes your fancy, "What does your Geocoin heart Desire?" is an excellent thread. because we cachers ARE Very Nice People :D

Oh, another excellent thing to do would be to participate in a "mission" I'm sure there will be a new one popping up soon :D

Thanks - I've actually been considering doing the next mission but I think there is usually a requirement about the number of posts on the board before being eligible to participate.

I'm working on that - right now in fact! :)

I will do some more reading on the trading rules and etiquette.

Yes, a lot of times it's "30", But You are almost there :D . There is an ongoing mission with the "birthday" thing!

I am doing the same thing. Some coins I am just buying one, but if I want to set some free into caches, I am buying at least two, and in a couple of cases 4, 6, 10. :) I am not sure I am going release any that I have only one of (though I did get some cool singles in a Geoswag grab bag yesterday that I might let go just for fun).

I am doing the same thing. Some coins I am just buying one, but if I want to set some free into caches, I am buying at least two, and in a couple of cases 4, 6, 10. :D I am not sure I am going release any that I have only one of (though I did get some cool singles in a Geoswag grab bag yesterday that I might let go just for fun).

There you go, You're on your way to this wonderful world of geocoin madness :):D

Firstly - Tlehman1, ThePetersTrio, UncleJimbo, Princepesa and anyone else lurking out there - a big welcome to the world of Geocoin Collecting.

I have to agree with 007BigD and Fairyhoney - you're all doomed, doomed I say! Run now before it's too late!!! This geocoin collecting is highly addictive (which ='s expensive). I am trying very, very, very, very, very, very, very hard to have a coin buying budget and to stick to it... but, I'm not very good at that B). Actually it was OK until a number of evil people all brought out really cool coin designs all within days of one another :D. Bye bye budget :D. Seriously though - unless you're loaded, set a budget and try to keep to it.

Now to the missions. Secret Missions happen through out the year... Secret Santa, Secret Valentine, Secret Easter Bunny, Secret Leprachun, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Dig Days of Summer, Geocoin's Birthday, Secret Birthdays, White Elephants, Sunshine... OMG - WHAT HAVE WE BECOME!??? :)

Anyways, these missions are run by various people out there who will advertise an upcoming mission in a new thread. People post in the thread they are interested in taking part and email certain details to the person running the mission. You will then be sent a name and address of someone who is your mission person. Usually missions involve sending 2 unactivated geocoins to that person. Someone else will send you 2 unactivated geocoins. Some send a way lot more... people are encouraged to go the distance and do nice things in the mission. I usually include in a few New Zealand themed items such as key rings, fridge magnets, soft toys and other goodies. Some people put in chocolates. Some put in all sort of other things.

Here is a list of recent or current missions:

MISSION: Secret Leprachun

Zazth's 1st Annual Easter Mission

MISSION Geocoin: Heart's Desire

Operation Sunshine

White Elephant Geocoin Exchange

As for trading lists - these can be quite helpful if partaking in missions as you can see peoples seeking lists and get an idea of the sorts of coins that interest them. You can see their keeping lists and see what coins they already have. And similarly they can see your lists.

There are several good sites for which you have to pay a fee to use, including Geocoin Collection and Coin Tracking. Both have their good points and I think both have a short trial period that you can sign up for and try it out. Take advantage of these and use them to their max to get work out which you like. Throw heaps of coins in (even if you don't have them) and move them around to get a good feel for functionality, etc.

There is also some sites that you can list your coins on for free, but these don't tend to have a database to select coins from, or photo, etc. They're fairly basic, but they do the job just as well if all you are wanting to do is list coins somewhere where others can find it. The site that comes to mind here is Utah Geocachers GeoCoinTrading.

Good luck, and may to Geocoin Force be with you!

[/VERBOSE] :D

I'm one of them lurkers you just welcomed... thanks keewee!

I've only just begun to start a collection. It currently stands at 3 coins and all have been released. But I have 10 in the mail, and at least 4 of them are already spoken for -- three for missions and one as a prize for my very first cointest (have patience ShmilyNMe... any day now!)

Now I'm even thinking of designing a coin! Am I going too fast? What's this budget thing you speak of?

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by E&Cplus3

I've only just begun to start a collection. It currently stands at 3 coins and all have been released. But I have 10 in the mail, and at least 4 of them are already spoken for -- three for missions and one as a prize for my very first cointest (have patience ShmilyNMe... any day now!)

Now I'm even thinking of designing a coin! Am I going too fast? What's this budget thing you speak of?

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi Chuck - I could see you lurking silently over to the side so I thought I'd draw you in :);)

Welcome.

Too fast? Nah - I suspect there are people around whose first coin was one they minted! (I don't know that for sure, but it would not surprise me in the least). As for the budget thing... yeah... well I still not too sure of it myself, but I've been spending way too much so I absolute have to cut back... unless of course I win the lottery!

Cheers,

Craig

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi Chuck - I could see you lurking silently over to the side so I thought I'd draw you in :):)

Welcome.

Too fast? Nah - I suspect there are people around whose first coin was one they minted! (I don't know that for sure, but it would not surprise me in the least). As for the budget thing... yeah... well I still not too sure of it myself, but I've been spending way too much so I absolute have to cut back... unless of course I win the lottery!

Cheers,

Craig

You did a tremendously Great job explaining.. You see, I know these things but get a brain freeze when time to explain :D

I Know what you mean about "budgets" :)

My first coin was from bought from e-bay ;)

There are plenty of traders with hundreds of coins available to trade, and in some cases with thousands of coins in their keeping collection. You might think that you wouldn't be able to EVER have a coin worthy of trading with such a prolific trader.

Well, truth is, there are so many obscure coins out there, especially on the international side for US based collectors, odds are you can hunt down a regional coin from a local geocaching organization or a local event that someone far across the globe would love to receive in trade for some coin you desire.

Heck, I should know after falling into this obsession just over a year ago, as now I have a little over a thousand activated trackable coins (harder to count non-trackables without taking a physical inventory), and just this week mailed out my 500th coin in trade! <_<

Just remember, it all starts with buying those extra coins that you think will later make a good trade. Some coins are instantly highly marketable in trade for older hard to find coins, but that is often a case of being in the right store at the right time when the cashier shows up to ring up your purchase. Other coins you could sit on for a year or more and STILL not be able to do much more than give them away. :rolleyes:

Thanks - I've actually been considering doing the next mission but I think there is usually a requirement about the number of posts on the board before being eligible to participate.

What is a "mission"?

A mission is like swap meet, but with a secret twist. You are assigned a person and you send them 3 coins from their want list. In return a person is assigned to you and you receive 3 coins from your want list... or there abouts. :rolleyes:

A hearty and warm welcome to Tlehman1, ThePetersTrio, UncleJimbo, Princepesa, E&Cplus3!

It's a lot of fun collecting all of the cool coins that come out, but then there are coins that come out that you can personalize in one way or another and you can't resist that either because, well, heck, it's fun seeing your name on a coin, and then the biggie-when you bite the bullet and make your own personal coin. The fun never stops-neither does spending LOTS of money! :anitongue: It sure is a lot of fun-that is until the bill comes in. <_<

Good luck or should I say run away-NOW.