Are you ever worried about your safety?

Andy73

My question is have you ever found yourself in a dangerous or uncomfortable situation. Your doing a suburban cache and stumble across a group of teens or a homeless person in a wooded area. Now you realize you are carrying about $700 in electronics between your GPSr, Palm, Cell phone and who knows what else. Or your doing a very long hike through a rural area and all of a sudden come across someone in the woods who just doesn't seem right to you. How do you make sure you are safe when out Caching alone or with your kids?

This isn't restricted to Geocaching.

Running a trail above the seven sacred pools near Hana on Maui and come across several locals skinning a dog they have hung from a tree. Solution was to keep running - fast.

Walking back to the hotel after dark in (name your city) and finding yourself in a less than great part of town. Solution (many times) was to walk briskly and avoid walking near alleys and around blind corners.

Searching for a cache in an urban area and encountering occupied campsites ( several times). Solution was to abandon the search and get the heck out of Dodge.

Hiking several miles to attempt a cache rated as a 3 star terrain only to discover that the last 150' requires a scramble across and down a talus slope to find a rope that has the container hanging over a several hundred foot high cliff and the rope is only a few feet from the edge. Solution was to abandon the search and stay alive. Cache since raised to a 4 terrain due to wimps.

There have been others but these are a few of the more memorable ones.

This should always be at the top of your mind no matter what the activity. Carry some form of protection at all times. If you cant/dont carry a firearm, it is amazing how much better you feel once you have an ASP in your pocket. Never put your guard down.

Whats an ASP?

This should always be at the top of your mind no matter what the activity. Carry some form of protection at all times. If you cant/dont carry a firearm, it is amazing how much better you feel once you have an ASP in your pocket. Never put your guard down.

Whats an ASP?

Anti-slime protection?

I believe he is referring to the ASP collapsible baton.

http://www.asp-net.com/batons.html

I still prefer my glock 23 (or my glock 20 when in the woods) though, why let them get close enough to where you would need a handheld weapon.

I have been lucky though, have had a CCW for almost 8 years and never once had to draw it on someone, and hope I never do. Its there just in case though.

No weapon though will make up for good common sense and knowing when to make a quit exit out of an uncomfortable situation.

I still prefer my glock 23 (or my glock 20 when in the woods) though, why let them get close enough to where you would need a handheld weapon.

I have been lucky though, have had a CCW for almost 8 years and never once had to draw it on someone, and hope I never do. Its there just in case though.

No weapon though will make up for good common sense and knowing when to make a quit exit out of an uncomfortable situation.

CCW = cache collecting wand?

So far I am happy to report that I have not needed to inflict violence on anyone since I was in grade school. Why is it that "regular" people think they need to armed at all times?

So far I am happy to report that I have not needed to inflict violence on anyone since I was in grade school. Why is it that "regular" people think they need to armed at all times?

Smart people are prepared. Whether that means a firearm or something else is completely up to you, your abilities and your local laws. Refuse to be a victim.

DCC

dotn most cachers carry a regular knife with them. I have a butterfly knife that i carry for protection. I was mugged once when in a bad part of minneapolis after dark i wasn't a cacher at the time but since then i have left home with out a knife. When you get as messed up as i did you never want to get into that situation with out something to guard yourself.

Here in suburbia, we often find ourselves hunting the urban micro in their native environments. While there have been several occasions where we may come across seedy people, I was caching with a buddy in one city where the hide was in an alley way - well, just as we got out to make the grab, we found ourselves amidst several obvious gang bangers. Fortunately, we went fairly un noticed but none the less, I would have felt a lot better with my 92SBF to protect my 60CSx.

The problem here in the left coast is that if you're a good guy caught with a gun or any concealed weapon for that matter, you suddenly become the bad guy. Getting a CCW in this area is impossible unless you make serious financial contributions to the local government officials - under the table.

In the past I would carry a knife but I decided I was only kidding myself. I find it more effective to be aware of my surroundings and thereby minimize my danger levels. Of course I try not to venture into unsafe areas alone and I try to be careful about my choices as to time of day.

I'm not Rambo but I AM still alive so I must have made a few correct decisions along the way.

I normally cache with other people. The Caching is more fun and it tends to keep you safer.
Ditto. Even though I've run into trouble even with a group including having a couple of Indians ride up to hassle us with a loaded rifle in the back of their Jeep. We unknowingly crossed into their reservation by ~200 feet going for a cache.

There is an old saying, "It is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six", sometimes you may have to use every inch of your cunning and bs to get out of a bad situation, all too many people are lost in cell phone/gps/ipod land...and oblivious to the world around them , keep self preservation first and foremost.... I work alone most of the time in the inner cities of northern n.j., a sense of humor has got me out of a lotta jams, distraction, and putting the center of attention back on the aggressor or adjitater has worked too, your queastion is a tough one to generalize, thanks for letting me post and good luck...

"not only is the pen mightier than the sword, its also mightier than the wrench!" spoken like a true utility worker..._._

Edited by WA2RX

Welcome to this day and age. This isn't the "old days" anymore. The truth is, "regular" people are more often victims than ever before. There's a lot of bad people in this world. And if you are out carrying expensive equipment in places you don't know that well, bad things can happen. So, as someone else said, better to be prepared than sorry.

Maybe because some of us "regular" people are also realists?

Smart people are prepared. Whether that means a firearm or something else is completely up to you, your abilities and your local laws. Refuse to be a victim.

DCC

There is an old saying, "It is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six", sometimes you may have to use every inch of your cunning and bs to get out of a bad situation, all too many people are lost in cell phone/gps/ipod land...and oblivious to the world around them , keep self preservation first and foremost.... I work alone most of the time in the inner cities of northern n.j., a sense of humor has got me out of a lotta jams, distraction, and putting the center of attention back on the aggressor or adjitater has worked too, your queastion is a tough one to generalize, thanks for letting me post and good luck...

I agree 100%. I am a smaller female and I work nights so I know I make a good target. I am glad I live in a country that gives me the right to own a gun and a state that allows me to carry it to defend myself. I have never needed to draw my gun against anyone because I do pay attention to what is going on around me and avoid bad situations/locations, but I like knowing I have the right to defend myself if I do end up in a bad situation. Now I know that not everyone should/can carry a weapon. If you don't have the will to use it, don't carry it. It is a personal choice that each person must make based on their beliefs and the laws that govern where they live.

eek you Americans scare me :)

I had the gun chat once with a taxi driver in Miami, I was telling him how scared I am of them and could never touch one, and he calmly leaned over and opened his glove compartment and there was a HUGE hand gun.

I screamed like a girl while he nearly wet himself laughing.

I stuttered "is-is-is-is-is-is i-i-i-i-it loaded????" and he laughed and said "of course it is, what use would it be if it wasn't???"

Sometimes I'm glad I live in England :D

Sometimes I'm glad I live in England

Same here - although I almost always have my Gerber multitool on my belt when I'm caching (comes in handy more times than I care to think about), and if I'm on the Moor I've usually got a walking pole - having a pointy stick in your hand does wonders for your confidence if you're crossing a field full of frisky cows.

I had the gun chat once with a taxi driver in Miami, I was telling him how scared I am of them and could never touch one, and he calmly leaned over and opened his glove compartment and there was a HUGE hand gun.

I stuttered "is-is-is-is-is-is i-i-i-i-it loaded????" and he laughed and said "of course it is, what use would it be if it wasn't???"

Yeah it's nuts. They make it sound like there is someone around every street corner waiting to stick a knife into you. Crazy.

Seven and a half years in the Reserves as a military policeman (RMP(v)) taught me all-round observation, situational awareness, and the ability, at last resort[i/], to defend myself. The prime objective of Self Defence is never to allow yourself to get into the situation where violence is required.

Four simple guidelines for caching in an unfamiliar urban environment that I'd suggest:

1. Do it in daylight.

2. Do it in company of a friend or friends.

3. Avoid any place that strikes you as being an 'at risk' environment.

4. Practice situational awareness - the so-called '360-system'.

Weaponry is not required for these steps, obviously, and works whether you're in the UK, USA, or wherever.

How do you make sure you are safe when out Caching alone or with your kids?

I must give off a vibe that tells cops that I'm cool headed and (mostly) law abiding yet tells criminals that dude is packin' heat. (Even when I'm not.)

But then, the best way to NOT be prey for a predator is NOT to act like prey. :D The best way to not be suspicious to a cop is to not act suspicious or to tryyy to be overtly unsuspicious. :D:D:)

I get that mysterious vibe honest though. I work closely with police on occasion so the mystery is gone and I sometimes teach classes in conflict resolution/intervention, firearms, CHL, and the NRA's Refuse to Be a Victim course. B)

Whats an ASP?

An ASP is a brand name for a collapsible baton. You would be amazed at how they feel in your hand. You can buy the economy ones here. There are lots of other cheap knock-offs out there but you want to be sure that it will open when you want it to. While pretty useless against a firearm, this could seriously hurt someone.

As my wife is a little squeamish about carrying a firearm, she carries one of these along with real pepper spray (dont buy the cheap stuff).

There is an old saying, "It is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Absolutely.

In America we have the right to bear arms. Of course, many are trying to take that right away but that is another story. The police, in our country, have no obligation to protect anyone.

If they outlaw guns and say they are illegal, where does that leave us? The law abiding citizens that once had guns will no longer have them. Do you think the criminals ( :) ) will say "geez, we cant have these any more. I guess i will turn it in." Yeah right.

People need to remember that guns are just tools. They can be used for all sorts of purposes. My 5 yo daughter has a rifle and while fun at the rifle range, i am sure she doesnt think of shooting someone. She thinks of it as fun with the family when we go out there and shoot at paper targets. I am not training her to kill anyone.

hpim0166pg1.th.jpg

Better to be safe than sorry.

Whatever you do, always be aware of your surroundings. Wherever you are. Read some self defense books.

The most important factor is situational awareness. The "most powerful handgun in the world" will not be of any use if someone jumps you totally by surprise. Don't get tunnel vision and focus on watching the GPS, looking straight ahead towards the cache, or inspecting hiding spots. Look side to side and over your shoulder. Even if you don't see a crazed gunman, you will spot more birdies and animals and more muggles who might see you hunting for the cache.

When your instincts tell you "get out of here," then it is time to trust your instincts. The one time I ignored my instincts in favor of pushing on to the cache location is when things went very bad. No smiley is worth that much to me, so if a similar situation ever presented itself again, I am much more aware of my surroundings and I would hope that a confrontation would be avoided.

Whats an ASP?

An ASP is a brand name for a collapsible baton. You would be amazed at how they feel in your hand. You can buy the economy ones here. There are lots of other cheap knock-offs out there but you want to be sure that it will open when you want it to. While pretty useless against a firearm, this could seriously hurt someone.

As my wife is a little squeamish about carrying a firearm, she carries one of these along with real pepper spray (dont buy the cheap stuff).

Tell your wife to leave the asp at home and concentrate on aiming the pepper spray properly at the face and eyes and then RUNNING.

All an ASP can do for anyone who is untrained in how to use one in close combat is get them in trouble. Seriously. Blunt force is harder to wield effectively, besides the fact that most people lose at least 70% of their manual dexterity in a threat situation unless the muscle memory has been specifically trained for such occasions.

Also, a blunt force death implies intent to kill much more so than firing a gun in a stressful situation.

Bad, bad, Juju. Get some training or leave it in your gun safe to gather dust. :)

Welcome to this day and age. This isn't the "old days" anymore. The truth is, "regular" people are more often victims than ever before. There's a lot of bad people in this world. And if you are out carrying expensive equipment in places you don't know that well, bad things can happen. So, as someone else said, better to be prepared than sorry.

I wish someone could make our governor see that. He has vetoed every carry law that has came before him. I think there is just Wisconsin and one other state that doesn't have a carry law.

Also, a blunt force death implies intent to kill much more so than firing a gun in a stressful situation.

If someone is attacking her, i hope she has intent to kill. :)

Yeah. what Lep said. Pay attention!

Trust me. An asp baton in the hands of an untrained user is a bigger liability than a gun in my informed opinion.

I teach a little block of instruction about "Civil Penalties Not Withstanding."

I basically warn folks how much it could cost 'em to commit justifiable homocide and warn them to bravely RUN awayyy from danger if at all possible. Somewhat but not totally OT: Joe Horn of Pasadena, Texas had to learn the hard way and his ordeal is just starting. What a teaching tool that guy's situation is gonna be when it's all over. I hope he doesn't go to jail.

I was telling him how scared I am of them and could never touch one

Too scared that you couldn't even touch one?? Utter nonsense.

Contrary to what you read by the biased main stream media, most Americans aren't running around toting their guns. That's just plain fiction.

Too scared that you couldn't even touch one?? Utter nonsense.

Not utter nonsense, Please be more careful with your words. There IS a condition where the mere handling or thought of handling lethal weaponry causes tremendous fear in people. I don't know it's psychobabble name, but it's there, none the less. I've seen it, too. I used to be a Range Officer for both the military and a civilian gun club, and on a new members night in the gun club, one prospect, brought unwillingly by her relative, was actually physically sick in the presence of firearms. My partner at the time's father was a shrink, and he confirmed what the malady was called (this is something like fifteen years ago).

Now, can we get away from violence, please, and be a little more constructive? This is supposed to be a hobby for all ages and persuasions, not just the rabid right :)

Knight, see about getting her a taser. Two darts wont help in a gang situation, but one-on-one they are almost as good as firearms.

Funny you should say that. I was at a gun show last weekend and i heard what sounded like someone dropped something glass (shattered) and then an unmistakable sound of buzzing. Wow, it commanded your attention. It was a demonstration of the taser. I wasnt right there, about 25 feet away. It was really something. Also kind of irritating as many, including me, didnt know it was going to happen and it startled us.

BTW- My daily steal has them for $260 today.

My wife isnt afraid of shooting. I have seen her shoot an AR-15 and a .454 casull. :) She just doesn't want to carry at this point. We have kids, so it is always a concern. You cant teach them safety but you still have to be careful.

[...She just doesn't want to carry at this point. We have kids, so it is always a concern. You cant teach them safety but you still have to be careful.

I understand that. While my kids were little, I did not keep a loaded gun within reach like I used to before kids.

I think home invasion is the number one crime in the US. A loaded gun should be there at all times (if you can).

Regarding the OP's original comment.

I guess i can see the teen part, but all homeless people aren't bad. Just like all [insert race] aren't bad.

I would be careful with that ASP if I were you. One of my sons is CHP and, if you come to California and he catches you with the thing, you will get to learn what it's like to ride in the back of his car. Should you dispute his authority to arrest you for carrying it you will discover what an ASP can do in TRAINED hands. Don't fool yourself, it may make you feel safer but it isn't something you should think is going to save you.

Edited by Thrak

eek you Americans scare me ;)

Sometimes I'm glad I live in England :)

I would contend that it is your unfamiliarity with guns is what scares you, not us Americans.

Understanding the hard facts of concealed weapon carry and then researching the history of why this right was written into our constitution in the first place will help you immensely in this regard.

Perhaps you might even consider the day when your country needs some real help and what country will proudly be there by your side faster than you would ever imagine they could be. What if we showed up to protect you with sticks?

Along this journey you may even learn to appreciate us a little more. We promise to put a little effort into doing the same.

I would be careful with that ASP if I were you. One of my sons is CHP and, if you come to California and he catches you with the thing, you will get to learn what it's like to ride in the back of his car. Should you dispute his authority to arrest you for carrying it you will discover what an ASP can do in TRAINED hands. Don't fool yourself, it may make you feel safer but it isn't something you should think is going to save you.

Fortunately i dont live in CA as the laws are weird there.

Where i live the law is gray regarding them. I have never had any trouble with the law. I have never been arrested, or anything. I dont intend to either. I have asked more than one local LEO about them. Bottom line is anything can be viewed a deadly weapon. I don't carry it out in the open. It is in my pocket. I don't use it to attack people, i have it in case i need to protect myself and my family.

What is the world coming to when YOU become the bad guy for trying to protect yourself?

it was a tongue in cheek comment, I promise ;)

I have spent a lot of time in the states and I'm very fond of Americans, I have even dated a couple :D (neither of whom, to the best of my knowledge, brought any weaponry out with them, but of course it could have been concealed :))

but yes, my nervousness around guns stems from lack of exposure to them over here, and long may that state of affairs continue :)

I would contend that it is your unfamiliarity with guns is what scares you, not us Americans.

Understanding the hard facts of concealed weapon carry and then researching the history of why this right was written into our constitution in the first place will help you immensely in this regard.

Perhaps you might even consider the day when your country needs some real help and what country will proudly be there by your side faster than you would ever imagine they could be. What if we showed up to protect you with sticks?

Along this journey you may even learn to appreciate us a little more. We promise to put a little effort into doing the same.

Edited by The Chaos Crew

I feel pretty safe in my local community - nice mid west small city with low crime. But when cruising the back roads on my motorcycle I carry either a 9mm or 10mm hand gun. Never know when you happen to get close to a meth lab full of tweakers.

I believe in avoiding any situation where I would have to use a gun - ie I would much rather turn and run. But a gun offers good protection from 4 legged critters that one may run into out of town. Or no legged critters (snakes).

Either way, I live in a state that allows CCW so I take advantage of it.

My question is have you ever found yourself in a dangerous or uncomfortable situation. Your doing a suburban cache and stumble across a group of teens or a homeless person in a wooded area. Now you realize you are carrying about $700 in electronics between your GPSr, Palm, Cell phone and who knows what else. Or your doing a very long hike through a rural area and all of a sudden come across someone in the woods who just doesn't seem right to you. How do you make sure you are safe when out Caching alone or with your kids?

Fear of ANOTHER PERSON?? -- Never. Fear of falling or twisting an ankle or scraping my head on a branch - yes, quite often. (Opps, 1 qualification - I once was coming up a ridge in my vehicle and saw a hunter take down a buck right in front of me. But fear of an intention harm to my person - NO).

I never met an unkind soul in the backcountry. Period. In a back alley in the city, now that's different. If someone wants a few hundred dollars of hardware and is willing to fight over it, big deal. Material things can be replaced, I can put up with minor theft even if it an annoyance. Putting up with a knife in the gutt - well, now... THAT may be a consideration but a very small likely hood of something like that happening.

...So far I am happy to report that I have not needed to inflict violence on anyone since I was in grade school. Why is it that "regular" people think they need to armed at all times?

I tried my turn at being the bully a couple of times. The important one was in 4th grade. That era lasted a couple of days. It was fun right up until the moment of truth when I realized that I was obligated to kick the snot out of someone who really didn't deserve it. I remember the look in their eyes when they knew what was coming and that they were powerless to stop it. The moment I saw that look I had an epiphany, let the kid off the hook, and went back to being regular, leaving behind a confused victim. Being a bully lost it's appeal as soon as I understood the price and obligation it carried. At the same time being a regular person gives you another obligation. One to do your best to keep your friends and family safe and sound. The angle is different. Now you respond to bullies and evil people rather than actively engage in harming other folks physically and mentally. It's defensive, preventative, and not nearly as active as being the evil guy. Though you may not have really thought about it, the burden to be ready is higher. A nasty SOB can just grab a handy chair and whack someone. The element of surprise favors the SOB. The regular have a tougher job when their number is called. Ready means tools and tools means ways to stop SOB’s who have the element of surprise on their side.

What amazes me is how many regular folks really don't understand the world they live in.

...Funny you should say that. I was at a gun show last weekend and i heard what sounded like someone dropped something glass (shattered) and then an unmistakable sound of buzzing. Wow, it commanded your attention. It was a demonstration of the taser. I wasnt right there, about 25 feet away. It was really something. Also kind of irritating as many, including me, didnt know it was going to happen and it startled us.

You have to register them to actvate the tazer. They are worthless if that registration doesn't pan out. At least that's what I read in my most recent cheaper than dirt catalog. Since I have more than a couple pieces of software that were rendered worthless via that registration checking thing I can't say I'd ever put my faith in it, especially as a tool to save my life. The last thing I need to hear in a time of need is "I'm sorry, your tazer has not phoned home in the last 30 days, please cradle it and verify your registration status". Or so Thraks son can come knock on my door and remind me that Tazers are illegal in CA because I moved from a freedom loving state and neglected to check it at the border.

Edited by Renegade Knight

eek you Americans scare me ;)

Sometimes I'm glad I live in England :)

Yeah it's nuts. They make it sound like there is someone around every street corner waiting to stick a knife into you. Crazy.

Stereotypes. I dislike them immensely. I'm a fifth generation American, have never owned a gun (I only fired one once that a friend brought along to plink cans), and have never been in a physical fight.

Whats an ASP?

There is an old saying, "It is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Absolutely.

In America we have the right to bear arms. Of course, many are trying to take that right away but that is another story. The police, in our country, have no obligation to protect anyone.

If they outlaw guns and say they are illegal, where does that leave us? The law abiding citizens that once had guns will no longer have them. Do you think the criminals ( ;) ) will say "geez, we cant have these any more. I guess i will turn it in." Yeah right.

People need to remember that guns are just tools. They can be used for all sorts of purposes. My 5 yo daughter has a rifle and while fun at the rifle range, i am sure she doesnt think of shooting someone. She thinks of it as fun with the family when we go out there and shoot at paper targets. I am not training her to kill anyone.

hpim0166pg1.th.jpg

Better to be safe than sorry.

Whatever you do, always be aware of your surroundings. Wherever you are. Read some self defense books.

Dude, thats just disturbing that your 5-yr old has a pink rifle :)

Yes - attempted muggings, several black bear encounters at 20 feet, walking into occupied homeless camps - all while caching inside the city limits here - and in every incident I had lost situational awareness. No matter how well equipped you are to protect yourself, if you (through ignorance or self-deception) lose situational awareness you've given up defensive advantages and become an easy target. Tunnel vision (follow the arrow!) or simply failing to stop and assess the location before plunging ahead - either one can get you into trouble in seconds.

'Situational Awareness' is the best defense, and without it any 'offensive' defense tactic will be overwhelmed in a rush, no matter how well-trained you might have been. It's better to look over the cache site, assess the hazards, and pass on the smilie if it looks the least bit hazardous.

I was lucky in every case I mentioned - but I've been an assault victim once, and don't want to go through that again. After a handful of stupid near-misses, I'm now a very cautious guy. As for cache'n'carry - well, yes I often do - especially if I'm caching by myself. Both 'surprise' black bear encounters I mentioned were surprises for me - the bears knew I was there & were closing on me to further check me out. Now that's a dangerous AND uncomfortable feeling!

Dude, thats just disturbing that your 5-yr old has a pink rifle ;)

Maybe if my son had the pink rifle. That might be disturbing. She loves it. Why not? It's pink!

Its not like i got her the Hello Kitty AR-15 (although thats what she asked for).

ShootingKitty1.jpg

View it this way. This is just another family activity. We can spend time together doing something that we all enjoy. Due to our circumstances we cant go geocaching all the time. We usually only have short windows of free time which is not enough time for caching. An hour is just enough time to drive to the range and shoot some paper targets. No one is hurt. We are not teaching violence. We are spending quality time together as a family.

Guns aren't the problem. It is the bozos that don't use them properly.