Waypoints to nuvi 200

I bought a Garmin nuvi 200 last weekend. I put the SD card from my PDA into it that I had downloaded caches from GSAK to and they all popped up. I did the same thing today and couldn't get them to load. I called Garmin but they said it wouldn't work to do that because the unit wasn't made for geocaching. I'm confused, why did it work Sat but not today??? Anyone have an idea? I searched the forum for several hours & saw lots of helpful info but not the answer to this problem. Thanks!

I have a garmin zumo that I put caches on using mapsource . I make I file with gsak ,open map source ,then select open file in mapsource as waypoints .then send to my garmin .

Is this what you mean ? I cannot send from gsak to my garmin zumo which is made for motorcylcing .

But I can do it as I said . I also have a pocket pc with a gamin Ique on it and I have to do the same thing with that .I cannot send directly from gsak .

Hope this helps

Edited by LECTRAGLIDE

I bought a Garmin nuvi 200 last weekend. I put the SD card from my PDA into it that I had downloaded caches from GSAK to and they all popped up. I did the same thing today and couldn't get them to load. I called Garmin but they said it wouldn't work to do that because the unit wasn't made for geocaching. I'm confused, why did it work Sat but not today??? Anyone have an idea? I searched the forum for several hours & saw lots of helpful info but not the answer to this problem. Thanks!

I set up a folders on the sd card. "/garmin/gpx & garmin/poi"

I then take the geocaches downloaded and use Garmins POI load to convert them to a POI.

they show up under the extras in the nuvi!

PS: there are two files that you need to copy from the nuvi's Garmin folder to make the POI loader think the sd card is a Nuvi. fs_image.ver & GarminDevice.xml

Hope you understand

kattman

... snip .

PS: there are two files that you need to copy from the nuvi's Garmin folder to make the POI loader think the sd card is a Nuvi. fs_image.ver & GarminDevice.xml

Huh?

When you run Garmin's POI Loader software, the initial screen gives you the option of selecting the destination as either the nuvi itself (GARMIN drive) or the SD card. There are no other files needed. And there's no need to "trick" POI Loader about anything.

I load the caches into my Nuvi with GSAK. You need to export your unfound caches as a gpx file. I send the file directly to G:\garmin\gpx\notfound.gpx; where G: is the drive letter assigned by your computer and notfound.gpx is the name of the file I created/exported.

Additionally, I also create the same file on my hard drive and use Garmin's POI loader to send the cache information and hint to the Nuvi as a POI. POIs do not show up well on the Nuvi's map, which is why I do both.

I load the caches into my Nuvi with GSAK. You need to export your unfound caches as a gpx file. I send the file directly to G:\garmin\gpx\notfound.gpx; where G: is the drive letter assigned by your computer and notfound.gpx is the name of the file I created/exported.

Additionally, I also create the same file on my hard drive and use Garmin's POI loader to send the cache information and hint to the Nuvi as a POI. POIs do not show up well on the Nuvi's map, which is why I do both.

When you send the gpx file directly to the Nuvi, how is it treated; ie, how do you access it? Are the waypoints in "Favorites" or are they treated like a POI under "Extras"? Thanks.

Huh?

When you run Garmin's POI Loader software, the initial screen gives you the option of selecting the destination as either the nuvi itself (GARMIN drive) or the SD card. There are no other files needed. And there's no need to "trick" POI Loader about anything.

I agree - that's the way it works for me. I have the 660, so maybe there has been a change.

When you send the gpx file directly to the Nuvi, how is it treated; ie, how do you access it? Are the waypoints in "Favorites" or are they treated like a POI under "Extras"? Thanks.

Huh?

I agree - that's the way it works for me. I have the 660, so maybe there has been a change.

Sorry for my crappy explaination.

Sending waypoints directly from GSAK to the gpx folder of the Nuvi, the waypoints show up with the treasure chest icon as "Favorites". This is what I use for navigating. The treasure chests are large enough to be seen at a wide variety of zoom distances . . . which I like.

Using POI loader to send the same gpx file to the Nuvi will have them show up in the "Custom POIs". They are tiny dots on the map that only show up at the closest zoom distance, so they suck for navigating. I use them only because I have GSAK setup to show more info in the POI--including the terrain, size, and hint. I only use these if I get to the cache and need to look at the hint.