Locating a Solved Mystery Cache

Hi All,

What is the best way to locate a mystery cache on a map once the puzzle is solve and you have the actual coordinates. As I recall plugging in the coordinates on the "Seek a cache" page used to have a pin show up on the google map. It doesn't seem to show up any more. Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions.

KMonster

Hi All,

What is the best way to locate a mystery cache on a map once the puzzle is solve and you have the actual coordinates. As I recall plugging in the coordinates on the "Seek a cache" page used to have a pin show up on the google map. It doesn't seem to show up any more. Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions.

KMonster

Yep, that's how I locate solved coords on a map. And you are right, the pin no longer shows up - highly annoying. But the location will be in the center of the displayed map, so you can eyeball it.

This site is amazing. This was my first post, and I can't believe there were 30+ views and 2 responses within a 1/2 hour. Thanks!

I've tried mapquest, but it's kind of a pain converting coordinates and plugging in the converted coord (call me lazy!).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

My method is to use the Corrected Coordinates in GSAK to store the solved co-ords, then I can export this to MS Streets & Trips or NG Topo! to look at. Or I can run a link from GSAK that puts those co-ords in to MS Live Search Maps (or just about any other online map site). Or I can just use the built in Google map function in the Split Screen to see that cache. All that, and I can export the corrected co-ords to CacheMate and my GPSr.

I click on the Google Maps link on the original cache page and then enter my corrected coordinates for the solution. I am not a techie when it comes to coordinates so I can't tell you how the coordinates are referred to. It is decimal minutes or some such. To convert the solved coordinates to the "Google" coordinates you simply divide the solution by 60, leaving out the degrees. So 47 40.182 would be 47.6697 after you ignore the 47 when dividing. I hope this makes sense and I am sure someone will provide a better explanation.

On the Google home page is a maps link. I just put the coordinates into that. I put them into the search box in the same format used on geocaching.com: N 39 42.765 W 121 55.906 (I just made up those coordinates). Don't use the ° sign or it won't work.

Here is the absolute easiest way, presuming you are looking at the webpage for the puzzle cache you figured out:

1. click on the "other conversions..." link that is right next to the fake coordinates.

2. put in the correct coordinates, then click the "Change Waypoint" box.

3. over to the right is a list of the various mapping options, click on your favorite one (I like Google Maps).

Good luck!

Here is the absolute easiest way, presuming you are looking at the webpage for the puzzle cache you figured out:

1. click on the "other conversions..." link that is right next to the fake coordinates.

2. put in the correct coordinates, then click the "Change Waypoint" box.

3. over to the right is a list of the various mapping options, click on your favorite one (I like Google Maps).

Good luck!

YES! I knew there had to be a way like this. Thank you very much! Thank you all for your replies.

KMonster

Note that MapQuest just changed their URL if you plan to map by coordinates. You need to change the "www" in the old URL to "atlas" (e.g., http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?... becomes http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?...). Kind of annoying that they would change the URL, but they've upgraded their website, and I guess that's "progress."

Now all we need is for GC to update their web pages with the new MapQuest URLs.

Edited by Grunriese