Crossover/2200T-NA Map Update V2

Below is an email I sent Magellan re: their Promise to communicate, as well as website discrepancies and the V2 Map Update for the Crossover/2200T-NA. I believe the more people that report the injustice the more chances we have of receiving satisfaction. I also plan on posting this on as many GPS forums that touch base on Magellan.

I plan on sending written notification to their H.O. as well.

I would appreciate your support by voicing your opinion to them as well - Please use your own words when submitting yours.

Letter:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Big problem with the Website and a Big problem with the V2 Map upgrade for the Crossover/2200T-NA

Below are statements taken from your website when I purchased My Magellan 2200T-NA

Reason to create an account!

"If you have not created a personal profile, please take a few minutes to provide the necessary information, which

will allow you to complete your order, register your Magellan products, or sign up for the latest news and product

tips."

Communication methods! All ticked in "My AccounT"

I want to receive email regarding product enhancements and software/firmware updates

I want to receive special offer information for new Magellan products and services via email

I want to participate in surveys and research projects that will enable the company to identify trends, product

features, new products and other GPS-related issues

Benefits of Registering my Purchase!

"Thank you for purchasing your Magellan product.

Registering your product will ensure prompt, effective technical assistance and customer service and allow you to

receive notification of product updates, new products and other valuable information to help you make the most of

your Magellan GPS system."

I have yet to receive any communicques concerning the Crossover/2200T Map Update!

Furthermore your website under "My Account" and "Legacy Products" for my device as well as the Product Page for the

CRossover does not include a link to the current New Map offerrings V2 for the Crossover/2200T.

This has lead customers to purchase the wrong type of upgrade. I know this because of what I have been reading in

the forums and Online Blogs (Groups). I myself have been actively involved in promoting the Crossover/2200T-NA to

my peers and feel very bad about people being misslead by the website by not being directed to the latest offerings

for these units when they access the above mentioned locations.

If you select the "Maps & Software" link provided in the Crossover product description page - you will notice that

the new update is not listed - yet if you select the "Maps & Software" links on the left of the page or in the

middle of the "Product" page you will be directed to the new offering. Please tell me that this is an oversite!

Comment on the New Map Upgrade Kits V2 for the Crossover and the 2200T-NA

The Crossover/2200T-NA New Map Upgrade kits V2 do not produce the normal outcome one would expect from a Vehicl Map

Update and that is to overlay the internal Veh Nav Maps of the unit with the new version. If any map should be

ported to reside on or to SD Card it should be the Topographical part of the Lower 48 USA states. In this type

of a setup the customer could then choose which external maps they want on their device. You would still be

providing them the Topographical map as originally advertised. The benefit would be ease of operation as well as

less wear and tear on the unit swapping cards in and out of the device. Also the IPX-4 rating would also be

maintained for a longer period of time due to the infrequent manipulation of the rubber boots protecting the access

points.

----------------------------------------------------------------- :laughing:

Can you tell me if this map update applies to a 2500T (NA Crossover)?

From Magellans sad excuse of a website it appears that it does... But if I look under "map updates" in the support section, it says there are no map updates available. I'm going to be even more pissed about ever getting one of these if they want another $70 for the map update. (On a < 3 month old product, that has loads of other problems)

(And WTF is with the update requiring a SD card? Does that mean I can't have the USELESS topo west canada I bought on the same SD card? How convenient.)

I will undoubtely write to Magellan again later tonight. I also have no doubt I will get the same useless canned response they always give me. (Either that, or one written in broken English that isn't even related to the questions I will ask.)

What a horrible, horrible company.

Thanks

PS.

Anyone want to buy a 2500t with Topo West Canada? :laughing:

Can you tell me if this map update applies to a 2500T (NA Crossover)?

From Magellans sad excuse of a website it appears that it does... But if I look under "map updates" in the support section, it says there are no map updates available. I'm going to be even more pissed about ever getting one of these if they want another $70 for the map update. (On a < 3 month old product, that has loads of other problems)

(And WTF is with the update requiring a SD card? Does that mean I can't have the USELESS topo west canada I bought on the same SD card? How convenient.)

I will undoubtely write to Magellan again later tonight. I also have no doubt I will get the same useless canned response they always give me. (Either that, or one written in broken English that isn't even related to the questions I will ask.)

What a horrible, horrible company.

Thanks

PS.

Anyone want to buy a 2500t with Topo West Canada? :laughing:

There are 2 updates one for the 2500t and one for the 2200t. Both have the same map data. Yes you have to use the SD card for the new maps. JetSkier got the update and stated that there is 500 MB free on the SD card so maybe you can put your topo on there. If you remove the SD card it reverts to the old mapset. I just got off the phone with magellan tech support. They stated that no Pro-Rated or free of charge updates will be given out. I asked him what if I bought this unit 2 weeks ago. He repeated that no pro-rated or free updates would be given out. I told him thank-you and that I would be passing the information on, which I am. And it's not $70 it's $79 plus $6 shipping plus $6 tax. I live in California where magellan is based so if you live outside of California you may not have to pay tax.

Edited by sanramonhunter

I upgraded my 2200t-na with the crossover upgrade last fall, and now they want $80 for the maps. I have an e-mail saying the new maps would be free when they came out.

I did get an e-mail saying the upgrade was available.

I like my gps, but there is no way I am spending another $80!

Their customer support is abysmal; I have sent three e-mails from my registered user about getting the roadmate tools to work since my upgrade (I use an sd card now) and no response. Phone is a waste.

HGC

I was actually in the "checkout" line on the Magellan website and almost bought the upgrade and I just couldn't do it. With shipping and tax it was 97 dollars. I love having all in one with the Crossover but no way I'm plunking down a hundred bucks when there are newer, lighter, better versions sitting on the shelf at Costco.

Could this be why the entire Explorist series has been discontinued and why they are now limited to the Crossovers and a bunch of "car" GPS models?

They are a joke. I was at the GPS Maze Exhibit in CT last weekend which was jointly sponsored by Magellan and Trimble. The Magellan display of handhelds was all Explorists which I thought was funny since they don't make them anymore......