Etrex Legend with corroded battery

A friend gave me a Garmin Etrex Legend that they obviously hadn't used in a very long time. They had left some alkaline batteries in it. Unfortunately, one of those batteries corroded the contacts. I went to put in new batteries, and when I did, the contacts had actually fallen apart and were stuck to the battery. Is there anyway to put new battery contacts in this unit? It works well when plugged into the cigarette lighter in the car, but I cannot use it unplugged right now. Any ideas on what I can do?

A friend gave me a Garmin Etrex Legend that they obviously hadn't used in a very long time. They had left some alkaline batteries in it. Unfortunately, one of those batteries corroded the contacts. I went to put in new batteries, and when I did, the contacts had actually fallen apart and were stuck to the battery. Is there anyway to put new battery contacts in this unit? It works well when plugged into the cigarette lighter in the car, but I cannot use it unplugged right now. Any ideas on what I can do?

1. Call Garmin to see if it can be repaired or replaced economically (as suggested by others).

2. If its not economic to repair, if you can still see some remaining clean metal for BOTH contacts, try getting a couple of bits of aluminium foil and wedging that in between the battery contact and the remaining piece of the GPSr contacts.

3. If you can't see any remaining contact metal, you can try opening the unit up, and soldering a bit of wire or similar to make a new contact - but it can be pretty easy to destroy the unit if you don't know how to go about this sort of work.

If all of the above fail, contact Mouser Electronics. You will be able to get a contact from them that you can bend and solder in place (providing you are comfortable soldering or know someone who is). It's a very inexpensive fix if you're willing to put in about 20 minutes of time.

Edited by Source_GPS

Good suggestions above. If you are lucky, it is the contacts at the bottom of the unit that just connect the + with one battery with the - of the other. Than can be fixed easily. If the top contacts that go into the unit are bad, not so easy to fix, but can be done.

What brand were they?

From Duracell site: http://www.duracell.com/care_disposal/care.asp

All DURACELL Batteries are guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship. Should any device be damaged by these batteries due to such defect, Duracell will repair or replace it (at Duracell's option) if it is sent with the batteries, postage prepaid to:

Also Energizer:http://www.duracell.com/care_disposal/care.asp

On the bottom of page two it has a similar statement to the Duracell one.

Not sure if this might be of some help or not?

What brand were they?

From Duracell site: http://www.duracell.com/care_disposal/care.asp

All DURACELL Batteries are guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship. Should any device be damaged by these batteries due to such defect, Duracell will repair or replace it (at Duracell's option) if it is sent with the batteries, postage prepaid to:

Also Energizer:http://www.duracell.com/care_disposal/care.asp

On the bottom of page two it has a similar statement to the Duracell one.

Not sure if this might be of some help or not?

Not sure that you will get far with a warranty claim against the battery maker. From the Duracell site:

Remove batteries from a device when it is not expected to be in use for several months.

Hmmm ... Isn't that where the problem started from in the first place - not removing the batteries?!

All DURACELL Batteries are guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship.

What evidence is there that there was any defect with the batteries? (Especially when the manufacturer clearly states that you should remove the batteries when they are not in use for extended periods.)

No harm in trying I guess, but if anyone wants a $5 bet on the outcome, I know which way I will be tipping! :)

It was just a suggestion, I see I have stumbled on yet another forum that is full of people who take delight in picking apart others suggestions to make themselves look clever.

Or you stumbled on a forum that doesn't expect posters to be ultra sensitive. Look at the times both posts were being added at the same basic time.

Sheesh, lighten up Francis. Both posts were just adding to what you said. They were helpful not attacks.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'm going to see about getting new contacts put in it. I'm currently in Bolivia, so I think that is my best option here. Thanks again.

if it are the botom contacts then you can make out of a sheet from a thin can a kind of replacemand cut out wit some sharp sisors, if you are not so handy someone who makes some arts and craft jewels can do the job it is just a mater of cuting and bending a tin sheet of metal.before you place the new contaks in make sure al the acit from the bathery is cleand away.