Very cheap GPSr

I've never used (or even seen) a Navigo, but the specification is incredible for the price.

You should be able to get one for £50.

Sirf Star III

Micros SD

Tom Tom and Memory Map compatible.

Plays movies and MP3's.

Sounds too good to be true. :laughing:

Don't take my word for it though, do your own research as I haven't looked into it in much detail.

are you sure its memory map compatible? It doesnt say Pocket PC. It does say Win CE.NET 5.0 Operating System but does that mean Pocket PC?

If you read the thread all the way back to 14:17 today you'll find this quote from fred box.

I agree, i have unlocked the satnav and I have all three, plus memory map and a few maps for that on a 1GB card . but to be honest i quite like mio map so will, get rid of the other two, and use the additional space for memorymap files.

Crikey if you can hack it about to make it a pocket pc and install TomTom and Memory Map thats a real bargain. I guess the only issue will be the battery life. If its intended for in car use the battery life wont be too long but you could probably resolve that with a battery extender, they are cheap if it charges from USB.

Crikey if you can hack it about to make it a pocket pc and install TomTom and Memory Map thats a real bargain. I guess the only issue will be the battery life. If its intended for in car use the battery life wont be too long but you could probably resolve that with a battery extender, they are cheap if it charges from USB.

Admittedly, the Tiger has one. The battery is rubbish.

Oh no!!!!...I couldn't resist another gadgety type thing! :laughing:

Now all I need is to find a way to mount it on my motorcycle. ;)

And if you look at the forum pages for the Ebuyer website you may get some good mapping info too. ;)

Just run Tomtom on it if you're that bored.

I'm sure the miomap and the other one (IGN?) run on it fine.

But there's nowt better than Tomtom for caching IMHO

Stu

Let us know how it is to use, milvus-

Well, it worked straight out of the box. :) Punched in the postcode where I was collecting my son from the other side of Northampton, and she (female voice, so it must be a she) took us straight there. Well, we had a little argument about the quickest route at one point - but she soon saw the error of her ways and re-calculated according to my better knowledge... :) The journey home was more interesting... I don't think I properly "acknowledged" that we'd reached our initial destination, so in spite of programming in my home address she was suggesting taking the 4th or 5th exit off of every roundabout all the way back, and every opportunity to do a U-turn was brought to our attention... :) But probably just operator error. :)

I've no previous experience of Satnavs to compare it against - but if you want a cheap device that works, then I'd say it's ideal. I'm hoping to have more of a play by unlocking it and installing some alternative software later this week - so it'll probably be broken beyond repair by Friday... B)

Baz.

6 work collegues have ordered one, my neighbour and myself (for the wife). Those that have received them think they're great. :)

Please post any upgrades / hacks you implement. I'll try to do the same, but as I've just ordered the TyTN II, I guess my time will be spent playing with that for now. :)

Battery life is reportedly 3.5 hrs, which isn't bad for a device like this.

I would only recommend this for geocaching if

• you're gadget savvy
  • you like hacking things
  • you want it as a back up.

For a first cheap device I would go down the normal route of eTrex H (see all the normal threads).

Unfortunately the arrival of my TyTN II means I have spent little time on this, though I did stick TomTom on it without any problems. Mrs. SidAndBob uses it for sat nav, mp3's and Will watches the odd Simpsons epispode on it.

The various comedy TomTom voices are a hoot for about 5 minutes too. :D

are you sure its memory map compatible? It doesnt say Pocket PC. It does say Win CE.NET 5.0 Operating System but does that mean Pocket PC?

For future reference PocketPC and CE.NET are seen as separate Operating Systems as far as running applications are concerned. It's unlikely you can just 'make it into a PocketPC' as the hardware specifications for PocketPC are predefined (screen size, CPU type etc) where as for CE.NET they are not (provided the CPU is supported). FYI Windows CE 5.0 has been superceeded by Windows Embedded CE 6.0.

Just wondering if any of you have tried hacking this navigo? We bought one for car sat nav purposes for my Insignificant Other, but have found the navigation software to be not nearly as good as Route 66 which I have on my Mio p350. Therefore, we were thinking of hacking it so we could install Route 66 from my cd. Any suggestions?