What do you do when.....

I recently placed a cache in a rock slide. Having placed the cache there, I had no idea how hard or how easy it would be to find, so I guessed at a rating based on the fact that all my hides in the past have been much easier to find than I originally thought they would be.

I have had one phone call and one email regarding the location of the cache out of 7 finds for the cache. I was going to wait another log or two and then reevaluate the difficulty of the hide rating. I was actually going to alter the hint to make it easier as well, but just hadn't gotten around to it the last couple of days.

So....

The seventh finder took it upon themselves to put a rock arrow pointing to the cache.

What would you do?

Edited by bettsbugs

Make the arrow point in another direction :laughing:

Thank you so much for the humor. I really let it bother me too much and this made me laugh hysterically. So much as a matter of fact, I may just do exactly that!

In all fairness, you folks are right, I really should just go remove the arrow. The frustration lies in the fact that I could have spent that time looking for another find myself rather than fixing a relatively new cache.

And the really funny part about the whole thing is that I had to go back out to this cache once already because my husband kindly deleted my waypoints from the GPS before I had a chance to write this cache up to be published. Hopefully third time is the charm!

Buggette of Bettsbugs

Edited by bettsbugs

You already got good advice for the cache but there is more fun to be had. Several options come to mind.

Submit the arrow as evidence in a vandalism case.

Use it as a gravemarker for some unknown cacher should they happen to be bopped soundly upon the head with said arrow rock.

Drill a hole in it, insert a cache container, and turn it into a cache called Arrow Rock.

Kindly return the favor by dropping the rock on top of one of their own caches to point the way. Done correctly the rock itself will mark the cache by having crushed it beneath. The real art would be to also have it land such that the arrow points down at the same time.

Hold the arrow rock event cache with displays telling the story about your caches plights. Place the revered caching artifact upon a black velet pillow next to the display of all the creators caches that didn't rely on arrow rocks to illistrate that they are not always needed.

Hold an Arrow rock cache even where everone brings several rocks and through the prodigiuse use of certain encribing tools create a local tradtion of Arrow Rocks pointing this way and that at random caches.

Make it into a Travel Bug that travels hither and yon telling it's sad tale of woe whever it goes.

Listen to some Stones and just Paint it Black.

Walk up to the cacher's car and illistrate the "fly and be free" concept over their hood.

Mark it with other arrows pointing all directions and leave it in place. Thank the cacher for their enligtened use of clues and direct everone to read their log.

Use it as a door stop to remind you about "Some people"

Attach a note to it that reads "Honey I'm home!" then toss it through their front window.

Plact it in the toilet tank to help conserve water.

Inform them that someone vadalized their rock and they should go maintain it. Add the replacements one by one to the rock path in your garden.

I'm sure there are other creative things that can be done. That's just a starting list.

archive it. Leave a notes explaining why. Then if that cacher has any caches, go out grab them all and throw them in the nearest dumpster (unless its an ammo can, then reuse it on your own cache).

No need to stoop to the finders level. I agree with the other posters on this, remove the arrow (or set it in a different direction, I like that :laughing: )

Make the arrow point in another direction :laughing:

Thank you so much for the humor. I really let it bother me too much and this made me laugh hysterically. So much as a matter of fact, I may just do exactly that!

In all fairness, you folks are right, I really should just go remove the arrow. The frustration lies in the fact that I could have spent that time looking for another find myself rather than fixing a relatively new cache.

And the really funny part about the whole thing is that I had to go back out to this cache once already because my husband kindly deleted my waypoints from the GPS before I had a chance to write this cache up to be published. Hopefully third time is the charm!

Buggette of Bettsbugs

I don't know what the difficulty rating is but in general I have found caches hidden in large piles of rocks very difficult. There are so many potential hiding places, and if the container is very small, one could turn over a lot of rocks, and make a mess of the location pretty quickly.

I have see a lot of listings which indicate that the cache should be replaced exactly as found, and one local cacher has a canned bit of text which asks that cachers refrain from providing any hints in the logs or pictures which will give an indication as to it's location. You might add something similar to your listing.

The seventh finder took it upon themselves to put a rock arrow pointing to the cache.

What would you do?

Remove the arrow then delete the log (I also REALLY like the idea of making the arrow point in a different direction :laughing: ). I would let the finder re-log without the encrypted hint.

But as for "helpful vandalism", this is nothing. I've personally seen or heard of cases where someone "bushwacked" a path to the cache using a machete (clearing a path several feet wide) and where someone spray-painted an arrow pointing to the cache on a boulder (or the ground, or a tree, etc.).

Make it into a Travel Bug that travels hither and yon telling it's sad tale of woe wherever it goes.

Mark it with other arrows pointing all directions and leave it in place. Thank the cacher for their enlightened use of clues and direct everyone to read their log.

Ostracism and sarcasm sometimes work very well. They are particularly gratifying when you can innocently bat your eyes and ask: "Who? Me?" and then respond with righteous indignation.

You are evil, RN...................... I admire that.

I like the idea of, if an arrow is painted on a rock, of painting oh, say, 100 or so (employ the kids in this endeavor) rocks and setting them all about. Then, place a note in the cache page thanking the individual for such a creative idea! Instant 4 for difficulty to boot!

I recently placed a cache in a rock slide. Having placed the cache there, I had no idea how hard or how easy it would be to find, so I guessed at a rating based on the fact that all my hides in the past have been much easier to find than I originally thought they would be.

I have had one phone call and one email regarding the location of the cache out of 7 finds for the cache. I was going to wait another log or two and then reevaluate the difficulty of the hide rating. I was actually going to alter the hint to make it easier as well, but just hadn't gotten around to it the last couple of days.

So....

What would you do?

I had a similar thing happen to two of my caches by the same cacher. He left a marker on top of each of them. On one I moved the marker and left the cache where it was & on the other I elevated the cache 5 ft above it's previous position and left the marker but made no note about either on the cache page. I really do like making the arrow point another direction but that kind of punishes future cachers for someone else's arrogance.

As Trinity's Crew mentioned, the log doesn't say he made the arrow.

While I don't agree with adding hints to someone else's cache page, the arrow itself may be something in the area and not something added. The finder may have just wanted to add a hint. Bad enough in itself but not as bad as putting some kind of marker out.

I would contact the person whose log it is and clarify what he meant and what he did, before I would get too upset.

Had someone move downed tree to find one of our hides today. The cache page states there is no need to move anything. To make it all even better they left the downed tree across the (urban) trail! They didn't even bother to put things back the way they were before they showed up!

At least they didn't leave any rocks pointing to the cache as far as we know. Maintenance run tomorrow.

I am in it for the hunt, and to me that is cheating. If it was me I would just leave the log the way it was, and remove the arrow. If people want to cheat make it doubly hard on them by having them out there looking for a cheaters arrow that is not there instead of a cache that is. :D

To make it all even better they left the downed tree across the (urban) trail! They didn't even bother to put things back the way they were before they showed up!

Now this is just uncalled for :) . We should be making the area better by removing trash instead of trashing the area. This is the kind of idiot that makes all of us look bad. If people start trashing the area’s around my caches I am going to remove the caches and deactivate them. Especially after you specifically said you don’t have to move anything :D:DB) .

Now this is just uncalled for mad.gif . We should be making the area better by removing trash instead of trashing the area. This is the kind of idiot that makes all of us look bad. If people start trashing the area’s around my caches I am going to remove the caches and deactivate them. Especially after you specifically said you don’t have to move anything

Relocating a down tree is not exactly trashing an area unless he came in with a front end loader. If it is I guess I'm trashing the area every time I camp and gather wood.

It's the woods. There are plenty of down trees. Does it really matter if it decomposes where it fell or 50 feet away?

Now placing it across a trail is just plain inconsiderate, both to hikers and the person who is responsible for maintaining the trail.

I wouldn't be concerned about it. I have seen more than a few caches in which the hider purposely put such a clue near the cache, and 80% of the logs usually say "couldn't find the clue"... :)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
Relocating a down tree is not exactly trashing an area unless he came in with a front end loader. If it is I guess I'm trashing the area every time I camp and gather wood.

Very true, I regress. I was just thinking about where I have mine.

You already got good advice for the cache but there is more fun to be had. Several options come to mind.

Submit the arrow as evidence in a vandalism case.

Use it as a gravemarker for some unknown cacher should they happen to be bopped soundly upon the head with said arrow rock.

Drill a hole in it, insert a cache container, and turn it into a cache called Arrow Rock.

Kindly return the favor by dropping the rock on top of one of their own caches to point the way. Done correctly the rock itself will mark the cache by having crushed it beneath. The real art would be to also have it land such that the arrow points down at the same time.

Hold the arrow rock event cache with displays telling the story about your caches plights. Place the revered caching artifact upon a black velet pillow next to the display of all the creators caches that didn't rely on arrow rocks to illistrate that they are not always needed.

Hold an Arrow rock cache even where everone brings several rocks and through the prodigiuse use of certain encribing tools create a local tradtion of Arrow Rocks pointing this way and that at random caches.

Make it into a Travel Bug that travels hither and yon telling it's sad tale of woe whever it goes.

Listen to some Stones and just Paint it Black.

Walk up to the cacher's car and illistrate the "fly and be free" concept over their hood.

Mark it with other arrows pointing all directions and leave it in place. Thank the cacher for their enligtened use of clues and direct everone to read their log.

Use it as a door stop to remind you about "Some people"

Attach a note to it that reads "Honey I'm home!" then toss it through their front window.

Plact it in the toilet tank to help conserve water.

Inform them that someone vadalized their rock and they should go maintain it. Add the replacements one by one to the rock path in your garden.

I'm sure there are other creative things that can be done. That's just a starting list.

Note to self: Have a beer with this guy someday.

archive it. Leave a notes explaining why. Then if that cacher has any caches, go out grab them all and throw them in the nearest dumpster (unless its an ammo can, then reuse it on your own cache).

No need to stoop to the finders level. I agree with the other posters on this, remove the arrow (or set it in a different direction, I like that ;) )

You are robably right, but I'd do it anyway :)

If that person in return trashed my caches, well at least I wouldn't have to maintain them anymore! Kind of a win-win for me. :)

Any word from the cacher as to whether they made a rock arrow or they were just referring to a natural formation of some sort? I'm just curious. Either way they overstepped their bounds, but IMHO there is a clear distinction between an encrypted hint that utilizes something in the vicinity to help locate the cache and a neon sign pointing to it. :huh:

I had someone find my cache, then forgot where it was located at (in a dead stump with lots of holes). He wrote in his log that he was not sure if that was the actual hole or not. I went out there and looked around for it for about 30 minutes before I found it and his hiding spot was much better than mine. So, there it stayed. Doesnt really give you an answer to your rock question, but it made me think of this cache. I vote to have the arrow point in a different direction. That there is just funny.

Edited by kw_jw174

I am totally appalled that someone would actually go to the lengths to make a cache easier to find! They are ruining the caching experience for others. It sucks that you would have to take the time to go remove the arrow, but I would say that it is necessary. I would also put a note on your cache page for future cachers asking them not to alter your cache or the difficutly of it in any way. As a last little thing, I would send the cacher an email explaining to them that what they did was not kosher!

You have every right to be livid!

Altering someone else's cache is definitely bad form and reflects either ignorance or a lack of class. I'd give the arrow maker the benefit of the doubt and assume it's ignorance. Maybe he/she thought they were making your cache "better". That's the kind of help you probably don't need but don't let it get under your skin. Act, don't react... just remove the stupid arrow and move on to other things.

Altering someone else's cache is definitely bad form and reflects either ignorance or a lack of class. I'd give the arrow maker the benefit of the doubt and assume it's ignorance. Maybe he/she thought they were making your cache "better". That's the kind of help you probably don't need but don't let it get under your skin. Act, don't react... just remove the stupid arrow and move on to other things.

I still think that I would point the arrow 90 degrees away from the cache. Let the cheaters look in the wrong spot. Myself I never trust anything that is not on the cache page. When I was in the Navy we had a group that did our own Geocaching. (long time ago) during the week we would hide our treasure, and on the weekends we would go find them. (remember there was no rules so things got ugly sometimes.) we would gather up the numbers from each other, make a list, and head out. The first one to bring their log book with all the stamps on it was the winner for the week. (Prize was you didn't buy your own beer that week, and we could drink a lot of beer) so anyhow back to the posting. We would do nasty stuff like purposely cut a trail away from the treasure from the road in a circle back to the road. Move a marker sign, or add a bunch of them all over the place. (remember this was for beer) so you learned to not trust anything but your own trail to the treasure.

Now that it is all in fun, I would never try to make a cache easer, or harder than what it was intended to be.

So in conclusion, You can remove it, add more pointing everywhere, or just leave it. It is your cache, and your choice.

Good luck.

I'd give the arrow maker the benefit of the doubt and assume it's ignorance. Maybe he/she thought they were making your cache "better".

As there has been no definitive answer to whether the finder made the arrow, or was referencing a natural feature, I will give the benefit of doubt to the later.

I still contend it would be much worse to mark the cache, than to just add your own hint. One is ignorance the other is arrogance.