International Cache Series - Peter Pan

Frodo_Underhill

Recently a series of six caches in the UK, Belgium, Canada and Australia were released to celebrate the seven Bronze statues of Peter Pan by Sir George Frampton which was first cast in 1912 for London. The statues are of J.M. Barrie's immortal character, Peter Pan atop a tree stump surrounded by fairies and various forest creatures.

The London statue was erected in secret during the night and 'magically' appeared on 1st May 1912, having been originally commissioned in 1910. There was no publicity before the statue's arrival and on the day, Barrie placed this announcement in The Times:

"There is a surprise in store for the children who go to Kensington Gardens to feed the ducks in the Serpentine this morning. Down by the little bay on the south-western side of the tail of the Serpentine they will find a May-day gift by Mr J.M. Barrie, a figure of Peter Pan blowing his pipe on the stump of a tree, with fairies and mice and squirrels all around. It is the work of Sir George Frampton, and the bronze figure of the boy who would never grow up is delightfully conceived."

297b8f9c-040a-475e-afb1-14180fb447bd.jpg

For those of us in Southern New Jersey, we are blessed with the seventh Peter Pan statue which was placed Camden, NJ in 1926. Not to be left out, a seventh Peter Pan cache has been placed in Camden and is currently in the approval queue.

Each of the Peter Pan caches is a multi cache. The cacher will be brought to each of the Peter Pan statues to view and enjoy. Then the work begins! You must collect some information or perform some task to find the coordinates of the next stage. At that stage you will find a micro cache with coordinates to the final stage. But here is the twist, you will find coordinates for Peter Pan caches in some other cities, not yours! To find your Peter Pan cache, you will need to network with other cachers in other cities and countries to obtain the coordinates for the Camden cache, which are in one of the other caches. This should be a fun exercise in international cooperation!

We are hopeful that our local reviewer will complete the reviews shortly. In the mean time, if you have been contacted by cachers in other countries regarding the Peter Pan cache, feel free to contact the CO “tinkerbell” through my account to discuss.

For further information on the cache series, check out the cache page for the Peter Pan (London) cache at:GC188J7 - Peter Pan (London)

And Pofe – if you are listening, please, please, please contact me regarding this cache. I have been attempting to contact you through various email addresses for a week now with no luck. Your e-mail address through your geocaching profile may not be correct or your email provider is not allowing the e-mail to get through as it is very unusual not to hear back from you. I would very much like to see this cache approved as it will be something special for the local and international caching community.

If anyone else knows how to contact Pofe, please drop me a line. We really would like to get the Camden cache live as soon as possible since its delay is causing frustration for cachers in other countries who are depending on information in the Camden cache to complete their caches.

And in the spirit of full disclosure, when the cache was originally submitted, I neglected to check the "cache is active" box on the cache page so it missed the cache reviews a week ago Tuesday (2/26/08). However the error was spotted and corrected then. It has been in the queue a week now and by my count over 20 caches where approved yesterday. So if there is a problem, please communicate with me Pofe so that we work it out. I feel bad about trying to contact you in an open forum like this but other channels are not working and I just don't know where else to turn. So apologies in advance for any ruffled feathers.

Regards,

Frodo_Underhill

Edited by Frodo_Underhill

In the meantime we received already a lot of reactions on this concept:

- "Great concept, we have really enjoyed it." (AusTrackers);

- "Superb idea this PP-set up ! We enjoyed a lot, as far on." (Maegdt);

- "Thanks for setting this up - a very novel cache." (Rodz)

- "Thanks for the great series" (R0gue)

- "We are having a super time participating in this series and really enjoy the contact with geocachers around the world." (Pip'n'Tif)

- "Thank you for the fun and the chance to work with an international team." (GeoMistrz)

- "I found this series to be very interesting and I would defiitely consider doing another one like this." (Boo Boo)

Edited by Barontoo

The Peter Pan (Camden) cache has just been approved and is now available to seek and find.

Thanks to our reviewer Pofe and the Peter Pan team for making this cache happen.

GV1899C - Peter Pan (Camden)

Wow, fast FTF's. :unsure: Did you mean to say "now available for armchair logging?"

7 smileys to find one cache?

I guess what we really need now is an International Lamp Post cache. Find one LPC and you get to log a find on 1,000 other LPCs! I understand lamp posts come in all sorts of different styles and designs so this should be awesome. Who's in?

Mopar, I will chase a lamp post skirt with the best of 'em, but I also follow a "one cache, one smiley" personal rule, and a "log only the caches where I've signed the logbook" personal rule. So, if you set up this series, there is only one button on your proposed cache pages that I would push, and it isn't "log your visit."

db63bbbf-6d09-4177-b9a6-56a71504a8f2.jpg

Folks, it is evident you don't care for the cache series. So by all means please ignore it.

There are however quite a few cachers that are enjoying these caches. Networking with other cachers in other lands to get the coordinates to find the local cache is a new experience and its fun. In the process cachers are meeting other cachers on line and learning a little about the history of Camden and some of the other cities that host the Peter Pan statues. To paraphrase one of the organizers, surely this type of collaboration fits in with the spirit and fun of a world-wide GPS based sport/game

As to how you log this cache or the series - well that's up to you. Log only what you find or log everything you participated in. Or ignore the series and let the rest of us have some fun seeking Pete Pan. What we are doing in this series is not intended to harm or diminish your caching experience in any way.

Peace,

Frodo

Mopar, I will chase a lamp post skirt with the best of 'em, but I also follow a "one cache, one smiley" personal rule, and a "log only the caches where I've signed the logbook" personal rule. So, if you set up this series, there is only one button on your proposed cache pages that I would push, and it isn't "log your visit."

db63bbbf-6d09-4177-b9a6-56a71504a8f2.jpg

I would just say that some people just need to lighten up on themselves and enjoy life no matter how it comes... being too tight on anything can cause the "No fun" syndrome...

I would just say that some people just need to lighten up on themselves and enjoy life no matter how it comes... being too tight on anything can cause the "No fun" syndrome...

This is terrific advice that might be taken to heart by those who organize a systematic drama campaign, whining across three different sections of the forums about how the terrible New Jersey cache reviewer is not pressing the "publish" button fast enough for their liking. Never mind that it was the cache owner's fault, not the reviewer's.

Moderator.

Would you please shut this thread down. It has served its purpose.

Thank you.

Frodo

Well, Mopar is certainly entitled to express his opinion, whether he ignores the cache or not. :)

It's been quite some time since Frodo's request to close the thread. The best way to insure the moderator see's that request is to hit the report button you can see on the bottom of any post, and they will be instantly notified. Otherwise, they'd just have to be reading every post in the forum, and stumble across it.