is it just me ?

novw.nl

I am located in Almere, the Netherlands. After a day of searching I finally figured out a way to locate any and all caches in my area. Searching is not the easiets thing to do here. Only half of the cache is actually searchable. Turns out there are 2687 within a 100km (mi?) radius. Now I am trying to have a look at these caches. I have to open 135 pages with 20 caches per page. When I am finally done crashing my computer I try to download the caches I like (say: 100 of them to get me started). I am forced to click 100 times on a "loc waypoint file", I have to rename 100 files because they all have the same name, and to top it off, I have to load 100 loose .loc files manually into my gps- software...

Why worry about loading 100 caches at this point in in your geocaching career???

or do a PQ if u become a premium member... that will give you 500...

it is only $30/yr... or a little less than 8.25 cents a day...

and if your PC crashes... then you have more problems than the geocaching site...

100 caches is a pretty ambitious immediate goal for someone with only 4 caches to his name...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

$1000 could probaly buy one of the many servers use.

Then electrical, wages, office space, and the cost of developing the new version.

It cost like $1000 a week.

Servers are 10's of $1000's. Wages probably exceed $1,000,000 / year. I imagine the database contractor is around $120-$150/hour. Makes the $30/year seem pretty meaningless doesn't it.....

PS - We just sold another premium membership! Start making plans for April because geocaching.com will be funded for another month.

I renew my yearly membership in a few days. You'll be able to have meat in the stew that night.

Jeremy will finally be able to get that new pair of shoelaces he's had his eye on.

Sad to say, but many of you are proving the point that this site is unfriendly to users.

Consider their point of view. They are trying something new and are frustrated. They come here to vent frustration and instead of helping them, many mock at their expense, including those that work for the company.

Maybe things should be thought out again. Sock or no sock, keep the site friendly.

Sad to say, but many of you are proving the point that this site is unfriendly to users.

Consider their point of view. They are trying something new and are frustrated. They come here to vent frustration and instead of helping them, many mock at their expense, including those that work for the company.

Maybe things should be thought out again. Sock or no sock, keep the site friendly.

As is often the case, it's not necessarily what you say, but how you say it.

Over in the general topics forum, the "If you could change one thing" thread has hundreds of wishes for changes to the site to make it easier to use. The website forum has thousands of threads with variations of complaints, requests, suggestions, bug reports, grumblings, questions, and frowny faces. Many of the same issues are raised over and over again without being addressed. This shows that there are certainly some parts of the site that many people find frustrating, confusing, or inconsistent... and yet most people are able to present their issues in a way that is not deliberately antagonistic, petulant, and know-it-all-ish. When they post their questions or complaints in a reasonable way, they get responses ranging from helpful advice, to sympathy, to possible workarounds, to markwells... and, as always, with the occasional "if you don't like it, leave" and/or "GSAK will solve all your problems" replies. With luck, they might even get a "We're workin' on it".

But when someone who has had an account for a few days comes storming as a self-described internet expert, proclaiming that this site sucks, without asking for help with anything issue in particular -- it's bound to ruffle some feathers. And it's not too likely to provoke many friendly replies.

Actually, many of the early posts tried to help the OP with his stated problems. Of course, the OP then made wild speculation regarding the site being run for $1000 and, I guess, Jeremy et al not actually needing salaries in return for their work, leaving them unable to feed their chinldren. After that post, who could imagine that the piling on wouldn't begin?

BTW, for the OP, I'm fairly positive that Jeremy some time ago posted a description of the server requirement and bandwidth purchased. Not being a techie, it all went over my head, but I'm sure a search could find it. Of course, this information would now be seriously dated, but it would give you an idea of just how off-base your post was.

Edited by sbell111

You make a valid point. However, this is not the type of "friendliness" the OP was talking about.

I think if the OP came here with polite questions about the problems he encountered he would have been overwhelmed with kind offers of assistance.

Instead he came here with an attitude, bashing the site and the staff and got a bit of his own medicine in return. We reap what we sow.

Edited by briansnat

If you notice, in my post I suggested starting new topics to try to get their specific questions resolved. This topic became an angsty one from several sides, indeed initially started by the tone of the original post and the OP's follow up post. I also tried to interject some comedy to try to lighten things up. It would be best if they started a new topic for their specific questions and would be best if this one started falling down the page.

I do hope Jeremy got the raise, by the way. He deserves at least $22,500 or so. ;)

Sometimes i try to think about what a non-geocacher would think if they saw these forums or anything related to geocaching.

That is all i meant. We dont want potential geocachers to get a negative vibe.

friends3.gif

I'm sure a non-geocacher whom saw the arrogance as displayed by the OP would have a general idea of what just happened. There is a big differenece with being rude and expecting to be treated like royalty and being polite looking for help.

I'm more inclined to help people who are polite in their approach than to help the ones that approach with a boat load of arrogance. Newbie or not, there is no excuse for not remembering their manners. So before we go all bleeding heart on this guy, remember he fanned the flames and then danced in the coals.

=-=-edited for grammar fix-=-=

Edited by TotemLake

If you notice, in my post I suggested starting new topics to try to get their specific questions resolved. This topic became an angsty one from several sides, indeed initially started by the tone of the original post and the OP's follow up post. I also tried to interject some comedy to try to lighten things up. It would be best if they started a new topic for their specific questions and would be best if this one started falling down the page.

I do hope Jeremy got the raise, by the way. He deserves at least $22,500 or so. ;)

Then he could buy potatoes to put in the stew.

I think that everyone has done a pretty good job, considering how it could have gone. Probably because some of the OP's comments were so funny, how could anyone really get angsty? The light-hearted humorous responses have been fun, and if the OP has a good attitude, they should be able to giggle along with the rest of us. ;)

I think if the OP came here with polite questions about the problems he encountered he would have been overwhelmed with kind offers of assistance.

Instead he came here with an attitude, bashing the site and the staff and got a bit of his own medicine in return. We reap what we sow.

He got a kind and gentle reply in his native language. Although, if he actually read it, he hasn't said so yet.

Sometimes i try to think about what a non-geocacher would think if they saw these forums or anything related to geocaching.

friends3.gif

QUOTE(Markwell @ Mar 5 2008, 11:58 AM)

The forums are not representative of Geocaching.com any more than Geocaching.com is representative of GPS gaming.

Fortunately geocaching.com and by extension Groundspeak has become the public face of geocaching.

I say fortunately because they do a great job with this listing site and I love having all of my geocaching info available from one site.

That being the case, however, with or witout intent, means that they DO represent the game to many people's mind... especially to newbies geocaching.com and geocaching are indistinguishable.

Again, unless one delves deep, a newbie would easily mistake these forums for the geocaching forum!

The OP finds, apparantly, the geocaching.com user interface somewhat difficult... I don't agree and find it very straight-forward and user-friendly.

Having posted he now finds this forum a bit difficult, and I have to totally agree!

Sure. he came here with attitude, but does that really have to determine our response?

"He started it!" sounds like children trying to justify their own bad behavior!

As has been pointed out, yes, what people read here DOES imbue their impression of geocaching.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

friends3.gif

The forums are not representative of Geocaching.com any more than Geocaching.com is representative of GPS gaming.

Fortunately geocaching.com and by extension Groundspeak has become the public face of geocaching.

I say fortunately because they do a great job with this listing site and I love having all of my geocaching info available from one site.

That being the case, however, with or witout intent, means that they DO represent the game to many people's mind... especially to newbies geocaching.com and geocaching are indistinguishable.

Again, unless one delves deep, a newbie would easily mistake these forums for the geocaching forum!

The OP finds, apparantly, the geocaching.com user interface somewhat difficult... I don't agree and find it very straight-forward and user-friendly.

Having posted he now finds this forum a bit difficult, and I have to totally agree!

Sure. he came here with attitude, but does that really have to determine our response?

"He started it!" sounds like children trying to justify their own bad behavior!

As has been pointed out, yes, what people read here DOES imbue their impression of geocaching.

I would tend to agree with this with the single exception the OP did come back just as arrogant and rude in his next post. In essence, he didn't learn from his first outburst. I'm not sure about you but I wouldn't stand for that in a face-to-face meet. It's just not acceptable social behavior to begin AND start with, regardless of how other people react to him.

...That being the case, however, with or witout intent, means that they DO represent the game to many people's mind... especially to newbies geocaching.com and geocaching are indistinguishable.

I think we're missing the point of what I was trying to say.

I did not say that Geocaching.com wasn't representative of geocaching. I agree with you - intended or not, Geocaching.com does seem to represent geocaching. My statement was that Geocaching.com is not representative of all GPS Games, and I believe the analogy stands in that light.

I play at least three different GPS-based games and only one has to do with hidden boxes with coordinates. Caches from Geocaching.com represent a small fraction of the waypoints in my GPS.

Much in the same way, there are many, many geocachers that use Geocaching.com that never once set foot in the forums, either by choice or by not knowing about the forums. There are also members that have been banned for one reason or another. I have heard it touted many times (and I believe it) that these non-forum cachers represent the lion's share of geocachers.

So my analogy is again:

...or stated the opposite way...

I don't believe the personality of geocachers can be generalized from from looking at these forums any more than all GPS Games can be generalized by looking solely at Geocaching.com.

okido. No, I am not a troll just wandering by, and stirring up a lot of dust. (at least, I don not want to be)

I am not, no, never attacking a community with people standing by to help ! This was never my intention, this is never going to happen. If I feel unwelcome in a community I will simple move on. I have learned "fighting" a community is a complete waste of everybodys time.

My "anger" comes from the difficulty in the geocaching.com site. I understood geocaching.com site is not this forum. I will refrain from further comments on the price of it all. I'll stick to saying somebody is making money on other mans's work. (hey, sounds like any CEO of any international company to me :) )

I am an old fashioned type of guy: anything and everything that is offered to the world should be as easy as possible. I have (honestly !) never ever in my life started anything by reading the guidebook. A microwave goes ping when you turn the knob, a TV gives an image when I press a button, a software program must be usable by just using it, and (tara !) a website should be understandable by anybody and everybody.

I have a PDA, with built in GPS, and a crap load full of software using the GPS. Plus an enormous memory card (heck, I have 2 full-Europe navigation softwares with maps and all on there, and am still at less than 50%)

What I want is simple (I think). Create a file (or several) with any and all caches that I am interested in (for now: the larger ones, I am an amateur !). Anywhere in my home country. I want to be able to get into my car, drive an hour south, and start caching. And if there is a traffic jam going south, I want to be able to move east. Without any form of preparation. The caching - program I use (GPS tuner) should warn me if there is a cache in my area at the moment I start the program. That means I want to have one (huge !) file with all the locations for all the caches in an area. I really don't care if that file is 1Mb or 100. That's a software problem.

what I want is (?) impossible on geocaching.com. I now go like this:

1-Since I am forced to know where I am going, I go to the google-map search option, and look around where I am heading.

2-I have to click any and all traditional caches 2.gif I like, just to see size. ()

3-If there is a cache the size I like, I have to click the name of the cache to get details.

4-(I read the description)

4a-click "loc waypoint" download button

5-rename the file to the name of the cache

6 -select and copy the text from the description

7-open the .loc file in an editor

8-paste the description in the loc file

9-save the (new) .loc file

-pause-

10-open all created locfiles in one go

11-select everything in between the <waypoint> tags

12-paste it in a newly created .loc (txt) file that holds all the <waypoints>

13-save the big .loc (txt) file

14-import the waypoints into my PDA.

phew.

Now, 1: I think (for the money I said I would not mention anymore) this should be possible. Be it for premiums ; 2: I am desperately trying to get done what I wrote above here. I am getting cramped fingers from the copy / paste / bla things. Any and all help would be appreciated.

And yes, I will search some more on the forum, and I promise I will read the guides :)

... snip ..

I will refrain from further comments on the price of it all. I'll stick to saying somebody is making money on other mans's work.

And you'd still be wrong.

I am an old fashioned type of guy: anything and everything that is offered to the world should be as easy as possible.
Why? Some people enjoy a challenge. That said, I would think that no one would disagree that the website shouldn't be easy to use. However, I believe that many would argue that it already is, but the user must be willing to learn the way it works.

I have (honestly !) never ever in my life started anything by reading the guidebook. A microwave goes ping when you turn the knob, a TV gives an image when I press a button, a software program must be usable by just using it, and (tara !) a website should be understandable by anybody and everybody.
You're proud of the fact that you never read the manual but think that it's okay to bash the owners/creators of the site (or product) when you don't understand. Seems rather illogical to me. Again, if you aren't willing to put in a little bit of effort reading the information and FAQs that already exist for the site, then you are likely going to be destined to be upset. The onus is on you since the information is readily available and easily understood.

What I want is simple (I think). Create a file (or several) with any and all caches that I am interested in (for now: the larger ones, I am an amateur !). Anywhere in my home country. I want to be able to get into my car, drive an hour south, and start caching. And if there is a traffic jam going south, I want to be able to move east. Without any form of preparation. The caching - program I use (GPS tuner) should warn me if there is a cache in my area at the moment I start the program. That means I want to have one (huge !) file with all the locations for all the caches in an area. I really don't care if that file is 1Mb or 100. That's a software problem.

what I want is (?) impossible on geocaching.com. I now go like this:

1-Since I am forced to know where I am going, I go to the google-map search option, and look around where I am heading.

2-I have to click any and all traditional caches 2.gif I like, just to see size. ()

3-If there is a cache the size I like, I have to click the name of the cache to get details.

4-(I read the description)

4a-click "loc waypoint" download button

5-rename the file to the name of the cache

6 -select and copy the text from the description

7-open the .loc file in an editor

8-paste the description in the loc file

9-save the (new) .loc file

-pause-

10-open all created locfiles in one go

11-select everything in between the <waypoint> tags

12-paste it in a newly created .loc (txt) file that holds all the <waypoints>

13-save the big .loc (txt) file

14-import the waypoints into my PDA.

phew.

Now, 1: I think (for the money I said I would not mention anymore) this should be possible. Be it for premiums ; 2: I am desperately trying to get done what I wrote above here. I am getting cramped fingers from the copy / paste / bla things. Any and all help would be appreciated.

And yes, I will search some more on the forum, and I promise I will read the guides :)

The solution to your request already exists and is simple. Become a Premium Member and you can get Pocket Queries of caches anywhere you want.

Your "impossible dream" is how many of us enjoy geocaching today. I could head out the door right now with up-to-date cache information for more than 10,000 caches in a 150-mile radius. But it's snowing, so instead I am using Google Earth and the "Caches Along a Route" feature to plan an upcoming roadtrip outside my home area.

If you want to learn how to do these things, I'd suggest asking for this thread to be closed, and then opening new threads in the appropriate forum with specific questions.

-

Now, 1: I think (for the money I said I would not mention anymore) this should be possible. Be it for premiums ;

Ja, het is allemaal mogelijk. Voor 2€ word je al lid voor één maand. Dan ga je bijvoorbeeld GSAK downloaden; dat kan je een paar weken gratis gebruiken, daarna moet je 13€ betalen of leven met een beetje vertraging.

Ik denk dat het redelijk is, dat je niet alles voor niks kan doen. Er zijn meerdere mensen die hun brood - belegd, maar niet met kaviaar - hieraan verdienen.

Google translation ....

Yes, it's all possible. For € 2 you are already a member for a month. Then you download GSAK for example, that you can use a couple of weeks for free, then you have to pay € 13 or live with a little delay.

I think it is reasonable that you can not do everything for nothing. There are many people who earn their living - invested, but not with caviar - deserve this.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Google translation ....

Yes, it's all possible. For € 2 you are already a member for a month. Then you download GSAK for example, that you can use a couple of weeks for free, then you have to pay € 13 or live with a little delay.

I think it is reasonable that you can not do everything for nothing. There are many people who earn their living - invested, but not with caviar - deserve this.

Hey, that's not bad. Only "belegd" - which can mean "invested" but in this case refers to applying something to bread - came out wrong.

something to think about. I am currently in Portugal on vacation (and caching ). I tried to log a find through the mobile phone (no pictures, fastest way I can do it). One log comes to 1.2 Mb ! Thats EUR12 in my rateplan (unlimited in Holland, rest of the world waaaaay expensive) for ONE visit log. With very short text. Wow !

This is (in my eyes) a prime example of bad website design. Over 1MB for 3 pages (search / log / done) !!! Wow again !

something to think about. I am currently in Portugal on vacation (and caching ). I tried to log a find through the mobile phone (no pictures, fastest way I can do it). One log comes to 1.2 Mb ! Thats EUR12 in my rateplan (unlimited in Holland, rest of the world waaaaay expensive) for ONE visit log. With very short text. Wow !

This is (in my eyes) a prime example of bad website design. Over 1MB for 3 pages (search / log / done) !!! Wow again !

The main geocaching.com site is designed to host ads, have lots of links, etc etc. It's clearly aimed at people who have a reasonably fast Internet connection which is not paid for by the megabyte.

On the other hand, wap.geocaching.com is designed to do exactly what you want. It is extremely fast to load and uses almost no bandwidth. I use it all the time for paperless caching and I pay the same price per megabyte for roaming data that you do, so I wouldn't be doing it for my 70-80 finds per month if I were downloading 1MB each time.

Now, if you had asked before you set out, perhaps something along the lines of "hello, I'm new so I don't know everything yet, and I was wondering if there was some way to log finds efficiently from a mobile phone", probably someone would already have told you about this.

Here's a suggestion: start again from scratch. Assume that of the 1-million-plus people who have created an account on this site, some of them may know just a little more than you have been able to find out so far. Assume that if you ask them politely, they will help you. Assume also that, if you walk into a dark room and complain about how dark it is without asking if there might be a light switch, so loudly that nobody can even tell you where to look, after a while, people will give up and just enjoy listening to you banging your head against the furniture.

Edited by sTeamTraen

Wow again is right!

It appears once again your reluctance to learn how to properly use the website is the root of your problem.

I just did a test log of a cache using wap.geocaching.com and only used a few thousand bytes of data to do so. A far cry from 1.2Mb.

Edited by Mopar

I don't have the patience to go through everything and read here, so I'll just post my beefs with the site and be done with it.

Registering/activating trackables is a royal PIA! Only one at a time, too many screens when it could be done all on one, just poor design that could be done one heck of a lot better, not to mention easier! It really discourages me from activating my personal coins because it's such a hassle to do.

Searching for caches is also a pain in the hiney. There HAS to be an easier way! I'd love the ability to search EASILY for caches in the neighborhood of another cache, For example, you find a cache in an area you are visiting and check a box to find caches within a specific distance from that central cache, without having to go back to search and put in the coords and such again.

I just don't like how you have to just about go to "home" every time you want to do something different, the links to different areas should be a step or two easier to get to!

HOWEVER, I love caching and coining, so I'll put up with it <_<.

I just wish it could be a bit easier!

Naomi <_<

Searching for caches is also a pain in the hiney. There HAS to be an easier way! I'd love the ability to search EASILY for caches in the neighborhood of another cache, For example, you find a cache in an area you are visiting and check a box to find caches within a specific distance from that central cache, without having to go back to search and put in the coords and such again.

I just don't like how you have to just about go to "home" every time you want to do something different, the links to different areas should be a step or two easier to get to!

Once you find that cache in the area of interest, you can do the following things:

1. click on the "find nearby caches" link found on that cache's details page; or

2. enter that cache's GC number in the search box on the seek a cache page (linked from pretty much every page on the site); or

3. set up a pocket query built around that cache as a centerpoint, and then work with the results offline or in online preview mode.

When planning cache trips, I identify "key caches" to act as centerpoints in the areas I'm visiting. I color-code them in my offline software so they stand out.

re wapsite: actually, wapping costs 40 euro per MB... so I thought I would try the html way.

BUT. Probarbly a doodoo from me. I will wait till I get a bill to see if it really was 1.2 Mb for one entry. I will ofcourse return here to moan if I am right, and I will appologize when it was less.

I'd love the ability to search EASILY for caches in the neighborhood of another cache.

Me too. I'd like something like this to appear on every cache page, just under the Additional Hints:

f1cbaedf-01cf-482f-a554-050bdf54dc24.jpg

Hey Groundspeak, how about it?

I hadn't seen that there before. Thanks for showing it to me. I'd looked pretty much all over the page, except for that area, it's kind of a dead area, actually, especially since I rarely look at the maps, I do print out my caches (we're not paperless, yet, unless you've got a spare palm pilot to send me go with that wry wit of yours :o ).

Once you find that cache in the area of interest, you can do the following things:

1. click on the "find nearby caches" link found on that cache's details page; or

2. enter that cache's GC number in the search box on the seek a cache page (linked from pretty much every page on the site); or

3. set up a pocket query built around that cache as a centerpoint, and then work with the results offline or in online preview mode.

When planning cache trips, I identify "key caches" to act as centerpoints in the areas I'm visiting. I color-code them in my offline software so they stand out.

Thanks, Keystone. I didn't know about that one link that I mentioned above, I honestly never saw it in almost a year's worth of using the site. I'm not a premium member yet, but I plan on doing it when the summer caching season starts. Don't do much winter caching since we cache with an 8 year old and a 22 month old. Just doesn't work well with the little ones in the deep snow and ice ;)

Naomi :D

re wapsite: actually, wapping costs 40 euro per MB... so I thought I would try the html way.

If you're paying that much then your first complaint should be directed at your mobile phone company. 10 Euro per MB while roaming is appalling but, unfortunately, standard. But you should be able to do WAP over GPRS at that rate. If your company is charging more for WAP then they're ripping you off. And in any case, as Mopar showed, you won't use more than a few KB with wap.geocaching.com.

Or, you could pretend you're somewhere really out of the way with no coverage, and log when you get back home. (Which also makes me wonder: if your data plan is so expensive there in Portugal, how can you afford to load these forum pages, some of which are huge?)

:lol: internet computer at the hotel. Thats how. I'd rtaher pay EUR10 for one day, than 12 EUR for one log. But, like I said: I am not absolutely sure about the phone bill. T-mobile nl charges 40 euros to WAP. I am unsure if WAP over the GPRS connection is considered internet (EUR10) or WAP (EUR40). I will try to figure that out when home.

I just had another hunt (!) on the main site, searching for any mention of the wap site. Guess what ? all links I find point to this forum. No "official" note I could find. And I knew what I was looking for (WAP), when I look for "mobile" or "field log" or simular, I get advertisements for caching software. No link to the wap url.

Just an idea ? Check the speed of the logger (there are tons of scripts available to do just that. Wired users will not even notice the one time delay), and when the speed is (too) low, offer to load the wap site. Is there a suggestion box for geocching.com ?

----

I am getting the hang of the searching issues, but like one of the earlier posters said: it remains a pain in the behind. But I really don't care: We are having a SUPERB vacation, thanks to all the GREAT people who took time and effort to hide caches on locations we could not have dreamt about.

Official thank you to the cache hiders !

Something to think about for your next vacation:

Premium members get pocket queries.

Prior to our Med vacation last summer, I ran pocket queries for where I was going and loaded the info to my GPSr and pda. During the vacation, I used this information look for a few caches. I recorded notes about these cache hunts to an application on my pda called 'Cache Log Book'. When I returned home, I logged my experiences online.

My total geocaching-related cost for that trip was $2.50 (1.6 euros). This cost is actually inflated somewhat, since it doesn't account for premium member benefits that were taken advantage of during the month, but not related to our vacation.

It should also be mentioned that it was easy peasey to obtain the queries, dump them to my GPSr and pda, record the data to CLB, and make my online logs. I wish finding caches was as easy as it is to use the GC.com site and associated tools.

Edited by sbell111

friends3.gif

It sounds to me as if you have extremely limited experience with online forums. This is one of the most helpful and civilized places I've ever visited as far as forums go. You often make posts telling folks how they should behave. Get over it.

Actually knight2000 has a good point. Very often people that setup a website that than suddenly explodes are stuck in a tunnel. It works, do not change it. Wheter the site is user friendly (or inviting, or whatever) is very often forgotten. "People are finding their way around, lets not change a thing on the site." is a very common misconception on the internet.

And geocaching.com is a HARD site ! Tough, difficult and rough around the edges.

Actually knight2000 has a good point. Very often people that setup a website that than suddenly explodes are stuck in a tunnel. It works, do not change it. Wheter the site is user friendly (or inviting, or whatever) is very often forgotten. "People are finding their way around, lets not change a thing on the site." is a very common misconception on the internet.

And geocaching.com is a HARD site ! Tough, difficult and rough around the edges.

On the other hand, they have to understand that they will get push back from long time users if they change it.

On the other hand, they have to understand that they will get push back from long time users if they change it.

I just can't wait to see all the threads that will be posted when Geocaching v2 rolls out :o

LOL - here's a cacher that has cached for exactly one day and decided to publicly complain about the site! LOL.

When I first started, I wished there were a lot of things better about this site... a LOT. But I knew that with time I'd get used to the functions and features. Add on the few cents a day to use it (premium membership) and it's even better.

It's just like idiots that got Vista and said they hated it. Now, much later, they can't see themselves going back to XP. Shut your pie hole until you give something a chance!

Kojones

Sorry, I know most of this has probably been said, but.....

I have been on the internet a long long long time. I have seen it all, from the best to the worst of websites. I am sorry to report that at this moment geocaching.com stands out as being a bad website, a very bad website.

How long is a long time? Putting a self-proclamation at the outset of a opinion rant does nothing but waste space and our time reading it.

I am located in Almere, the Netherlands. After a day of searching I finally figured out a way to locate any and all caches in my area. Searching is not the easiets thing to do here. Only half of the cache is actually searchable.

On the home page of GC, there is a link to "Hide and Seek caches" one click takes you to a page that you set your criteria. One more click and you have the results. What would be easier?

Turns out there are 2687 within a 100km (mi?) radius. Now I am trying to have a look at these caches. I have to open 135 pages with 20 caches per page.

Complaining about too much info? Talk to the guys that want to include archived caches, they'll love this complaint.

When I am finally done crashing my computer I try to download the caches I like (say: 100 of them to get me started). I am forced to click 100 times on a "loc waypoint file", I have to rename 100 files because they all have the same name, and to top it off, I have to load 100 loose .loc files manually into my gps- software...

I don't how else to say this without sounding insulting however, your lack of current equipment is not the concern of the site. To crash you computer means either inadequate or broken equipment on your part.

Aside from that fact you have, as of this writing, found 49 caches. Actually impressive for someone new in less than 30 days, however it also points out that you are doing less than 2 caches a day. You did not need 100 caches and, could just have easily printed out 3 or 4 pages and worked off of that. If you found you wanted to take the next step, pay $3 US for 30 days to be able to download GPX files to upload to your GPS. A year premium membership saves you $6 US and would be the next logical step.

I will agree with you on one point that it would be nice if the LOC file contained the GC # of the cache. Perhaps it would have been better to come and make that suggestion than complain about a site you had not spent much time on.

Than the website is programmed so bad, my PDA actually crashes on it, so I can not even log found caches or have a peek at hints available, or...

Once again, your purpose would have been better served to go on the new user area and ask if their was a WAP version of the site, which there is.

In my opinion that sucks. Deeply.

This is what I think set most people on edge. Aside from the fact that, imo, you are wrong and this site tends to be very intuitive with a few exceptions (i.e. trying to find the policies from the home page), stating that you THINK the site is poorly written is much better than putting an insult in your very first post. I am surprised some did not come down on you much harsher.

Now I have to option to go premium and create a favorites list. But 30 dollars a year for a website that costs no more than $1000 to maintain ??!! All the real work is done by the cachers. Not by Groundspeak; all they do is keep the servers running. and they will probarbly hire somebody to do that for them. At $1000 a year. If only 1percent of at least 50000 members is premium member somebody is pocketing $15000. for doing absolutely nothing. Hm.

And then there is this part, where you totally discredit anything you may have said that was valid. 1) I assure you it costs much more to maintain the site then what you have stated. 2) You make it sound like making money is a bad thing, yet have not put up a site similar of your own. Not surprising, since others have tried and not been very successful. 3) The same can be said about eBay, the users do all the work and still have to pay for it. If this was true, they are a much bigger evil however maintaining servers, databases, usage, licenses, and the like all takes money. If Groundspeak has found a way to make money at it, even good money, for my .08 cents a day, I commend them.

So my question is simple: are there any user friendly geocaching websites available ? Where they don't try to make a huge profit but are in it just for fun ?

By your standards, no. In fact, I can't think of many sites that would fill your needs based on what has been stated here. I actually find this site very intuitive with a much less steep learning curve than many other sites.

We all hope you stay, and we hope you come to enjoy the site as we have. We pick at little things now and then and moan and gripe, but in the end most would put going elsewhere very low on their lists if at all.

Edited by baloo&bd