Paperless caching question

softball29

OK, after much work and playing, I've gotten some things on my PDA. I used GpxView and then created individual folders for towns/areas etc.

I like the look and all, but seems to lack just a little. I thought I read somewhere on here that one can get basically the full page -- showing everything (if any bugs are there, all the logs everything?) through some software? I'd prefer not to have to drop a mint on a program though as the freeware works well, it seems. I have windows mobil 2003 SE. Thanks for any help and if this is possible.

OK, after much work and playing, I've gotten some things on my PDA. I used GpxView and then created individual folders for towns/areas etc.

I like the look and all, but seems to lack just a little. I thought I read somewhere on here that one can get basically the full page -- showing everything (if any bugs are there, all the logs everything?) through some software? I'd prefer not to have to drop a mint on a program though as the freeware works well, it seems. I have windows mobil 2003 SE. Thanks for any help and if this is possible.

I perfer GPX Sonar but either way you are living with some limitations of the GPX file from Groundspeak itself. There are no pictures or other graphics in a GPX, logs are limited to the last 5, no maps, fewer links, no attributes.

But look at the bright side - you DO get 5 logs (more if you accumulate them in GSAK), you DO get the page descriptions, You DO get the size and ratings, You DO get the hint.

Also might try Cachemate for the PPC - it is inly $8 and some perfer the way to cre-creates the listing file on your PDA.

OK, back to this topic. For those who maybe use GpxView.

I notice that the coordinates when put on the PDA are set up for something like this: N 75.12345 W 75.12345

Instead of:

N 42° 12.345 W 075° 12.345

I'd prefer the second one. Anyone know how to change this??

I notice that the coordinates when put on the PDA are set up for something like this: N 75.12345 W 75.12345

For GPXView: at the bottom there's a menu "TOOLS". Tap that and you will get a menu on which you should tap "Settings"

The result at the bottom: HOME POS | UNITS | BROWSER |REFERENCE POINTS

For HOME, enter your home coordinates.

For UNITS, select DD MM.MMM (that will get you what you want as the format

configure others as you please.

I perfer GPX Sonar but either way you are living with some limitations of the GPX file from Groundspeak itself. There are no pictures or other graphics in a GPX, logs are limited to the last 5, no maps, fewer links, no attributes.

Both GPXSonar and GPX View will show images embedded in the listing (GPX files include links to images) if you have that configured in SETTINGS and are connected to the internet when you load a GPX file. Sonar will show a decent resized image, but GPXView will show a tiny "placeholder" image instead. Because GPXSonar uses Internet Explorer on the PDA, it will follow embedded links if you are connected to the net, but it's beastly slow and the page is very big so you have to scroll.

GPXSonar requires Windows 2003 on your PDA.

Edit to include the link to GPXSonar. Click here.

Edited by Rattlebars

We switched from a PDA to a blackberry with the trimble software. We have yet to run into a cache where we didn't have cell coverage for it to work. With trimble's software we can pull up just about anything on the caches around us that we want including maps, logs, hints, etc. The only thing I don't like is, if we haven't loaded an area into our GPSr we have to hand-jam the coordinates. The GPS chip in our blackberry is the same as Garmin's 60CSX but without the antena which means it'll get us in the ball park on a cloudy day.

TeamBaitBucket,

We are currently using CacheMate on the IPAQ to get the cache info, it is a good program but all the info is in text files. I would be very interested in learning how to use GSAK and be able to load HTML data into the IPAQ. Are you also able to capture the mapping info offline with that approach? Thanks for the help.

For GPXView: at the bottom there's a menu "TOOLS". Tap that and you will get a menu on which you should tap "Settings"

In my tools, I only see "About GpxView" and "Exit."

You have to load a GPX file, else you are only on the "Load a GPX file screen" which has no tools. Navigate your way to one of the GPX files you have stashed in your folders you made. Tap a GPX file that shows on that screen and GPXView will load it. Your tools menu will then have all the options on it.

You have to load a GPX file, else you are only on the "Load a GPX file screen" which has no tools. Navigate your way to one of the GPX files you have stashed in your folders you made. Tap a GPX file that shows on that screen and GPXView will load it. Your tools menu will then have all the options on it.

Sweet! Thanks for the help!

Sweet! Thanks for the help!

Yeah, same here! I can't believe I have missed caches because I didn't put them in my explorist, and the format was messed up on my Ipaq!

Thanks for the tutorial!!

We switched from a PDA to a blackberry with the trimble software. We have yet to run into a cache where we didn't have cell coverage for it to work. With trimble's software we can pull up just about anything on the caches around us that we want including maps, logs, hints, etc. The only thing I don't like is, if we haven't loaded an area into our GPSr we have to hand-jam the coordinates. The GPS chip in our blackberry is the same as Garmin's 60CSX but without the antena which means it'll get us in the ball park on a cloudy day.

Can you tell me more about the "trimble software" on your Blackberry? I'd like to use my blackberry for paperless but haven't seen anyone discuss it until your note. Thanks

TeamBaitBucket,

We are currently using CacheMate on the IPAQ to get the cache info, it is a good program but all the info is in text files. I would be very interested in learning how to use GSAK and be able to load HTML data into the IPAQ. Are you also able to capture the mapping info offline with that approach? Thanks for the help.

you needed spoilerSync for pic. I only used cachemate, spoilerSync with Dopod 818pro(WM5) and Garmin 10x BT GPSr for geocaching. It fuuly intergrated into cachemate. If the cache had a spoiler picture. it will give you a buttom in cachemate log. Tap it and the picture will shown. Cachedata data I just copy the PQ into a folder in PPC. Then imported from cachemate voila.