Help! Need someone who understands GSAK and COM ports

Hi! I've never had any problems with GSAK until now. Before posting here, I did do some searching to see if anyone else has had this problem. I've also posted the identical information on the GSAK forum, but the recommend I contact Garmin. I just don't want to have to shell out significant $$ to fix this.

GSAK has always worked well for me and my Garmin eTrex Vista. I recently added MS Streets and Trips to my computer so that I can create routes. Ever since, I haven't been able to upload waypoints using GSAK or Mapsource. However, I can communicate with the GPS, if it's set to NMEA in, NMEA out. I can't get any communication if it's set to GARMIN.

Here's some background info on my set up:

* I am running Windows XP and GSAK 6.6.5.

* I have an eTrex Vista that I connect to my computer with a serial cable (not USB).

The error message I receive is:

options: module/option=value: xcsv/style="GSAK.STL"

Opening COM1

Tx Data:10 fe 00 02 10 03 : ...(PRDREQ )

Rx Data:GPSBabel Version: 1.3.2

[ERROR] GPS_Packet_Read: Timeout. No data received.

GARMIN:Can't init COM1

finish bad

Here is a pic of my "GPS Setup" and "Send to GPS" screens:

GPS%20Setup.jpg

Send%20Waypoints%20to%20GPS.jpg

Here are some other things I've tried:

* I've uninstalled MS Streets and Trips. Didn't work.

* I've uninstalled and reinstalled GSAK. Didn't work.

* I've run regclean, uninstalled GSAK, run regclean, reinstalled GSAK. Didn't work.

* I've uninstalled GSAK, removed the leftover files, reinstalled GSAK, and reinitialized my GPS settings. Didn't work.

* I've tried uploading using the NMEA setting. Didn't work.

* I've uninstalled and reinstalled my COM1 driver. Didn't work.

* I've uninstalled and reinstalled my COM1 driver in safe mode. Didn't work.

* I've tried telnetting into my GPS using hyperterminal. Works in NMEA, but not in GARMIN mode.

* I've successfully uploaded waypoints using my GPS at my work computer.

* I've used different gpx files to see if it was data related. Didn't work.

* I've examined all the processes running on my computer, all the ones that I can see in my Task Manager are identifiable, and don't use the COM1 port.

* I've even read a thread in the Groundspeak forum that suggested rubbing the copper contact points on my GPS and cable to clear off any gunk. Didn't work.

So far, I've eliminated my GPS and serial cable as possible break points. I've somewhat eliminated GSAK, but it could be a setting that I can't find that will fix it. I'm thinking that Streets and Trips pooched a setting for my COM1 port, or is still locking it somehow, but I can't identify what or how it's locked.

I agree that it isn't a GSAK issue, but I'm not convinced it's a Garmin issue either. After all, I can communicate to my GPS in NMEA mode, and I'm able to upload to the same GPS at the office.

I think it's my COM1 port combined with the GARMIN mode that the problem lies with, and I'm not technical enough to figure that out. I'm getting kind of desperate here.

Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

I'll ask the obvious, just in case...

Under Device Manager do you see COM1 listed?

If not change GSAK to point at whatever COM port is listed in device manager (you are currently pointing to COM1).

comxd1.jpg

Yup ... COM1 is there .. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times.

Even Garmin support hasn't been able to help me with this. I found what seemed like a possible solution in their support pages, even giving a download for updating my GPS, but it needs to recognize my GPS and I'm getting the same error in that app as I do for mapsource. Very frustrating!

I think it may be related to a process running on my machine in the background, but I can't identify it.

I had a similar problem with my old serial Palm and the only way I could fix it was to add a USB to Serial cable. For some reason the driver for the USB to Serial acted differently than my other com port... don't know why but I've never been able to get the PDA to work on com1 and I've tried everything. Might be worth a shot.

I don't think this is the problem as you can communicate NMEA but another common serial port issue is a hotsync program grabbing the COM port. Are you using a PDA?

Hope you get it figured out. I know how frustrating these kinds of problems can be.

Just a stab in the dark, but here are a couple of things to try.

From the Device Manager listing, right-click|Properties on the port. Select the Port Settings tab and Restore Defaults. You could also try turning off or tweaking the FIFO buffer settings through the Advanced button.

Dani Carriere-Go on the GSAK forum and ask the question. The administrators who support GSAK are the best around and will always work with you to help resolve your problem. Post exactly what you have here & you will get a response.

I have, they've said that since my GPS doesn't work with mapsource either, than it's not a GSAK issue. Clyde was going to remove my thread, but decided to leave it on in case someone had some advice for me.

Just a stab in the dark, but here are a couple of things to try.

From the Device Manager listing, right-click|Properties on the port. Select the Port Settings tab and Restore Defaults. You could also try turning off or tweaking the FIFO buffer settings through the Advanced button.

I haven't tried that yet. I'll do that tonight when I get home! Thanks.

I don't think this is the problem as you can communicate NMEA but another common serial port issue is a hotsync program grabbing the COM port. Are you using a PDA?

Hope you get it figured out. I know how frustrating these kinds of problems can be.

no, I don't have a PDA, I'm still doing paper caching (mea culpa). I was looking for some hotsync processes in my task manager, but couldn't identify anything.

What I've tried today:

* used msconfig to stop and start various services. None of them allowed GSAK to work.

* set COM1 settings to default.

* reset the GPS unit to factory defaults. Manually reset the unit.

* Borrowed a friends GPS60CSX and tried connecting with a USB cable. Missing a driver on my side.

What I'm planning for tomorrow, so far:

* Borrowing a friend's Geko that uses the same cable to see if it connects.

* borrowing a friend's USB to Serial cable to see if that works.

I'm still convinced that it's more on my computer than on the GPS, Cable or in the applications. Stoopid streets and trips!! :)

I did try everything that sniperchicken listed in the quoted portion. I can try installing GPSBabel and EasyGPS to see if the problem happens with them.

Also a friend is lending me their USB to Serial cable tonight so I should be able to test that as well.

Edited by dani_carriere

I did try everything that sniperchicken listed in the quoted portion. I can try installing GPSBabel and EasyGPS to see if the problem happens with them.

Also a friend is lending me their USB to Serial cable tonight so I should be able to test that as well.

I guess I was thinking about the part that talks about the evil S&T reassigning GPS to COM 3. You said that you had uninstalled/reinstalled COM 1. Could GPS be reassigned to COM 3 and GSAK looking for it on COM 1? <shrug>

This is a tough one. I hope you get it figured out. And post your solution.

I finally had a chance to do more testing today. A friend had lent me her GPS 60csx, and another friend lent me his USB to Serial cable and a Geko to test everything.

Well, the USB to Serial cable did the trick. Once I connected it to my cable and a USB port, a COM4 port magically appeared on my GSAK settings. I selected it and was able to upload.

*phew* .. So I think my problem is less solved than bypassed. But at least I can continue to use GSAK. I think my COM1 port is pooched. If I get the cable, I probably won't have to worry about it. Nothing else I have uses COM1.

Thank you to all who gave me great suggestions! I learned a great many things. You guys most definitely ROCK!