Visiting Stanley, NC

Nero

As the title says I'm planning on a visit to Stanley, NC (ZIP 28164) in middle of may to visit my wifes sister and family.

I would like some info, please.

weather that time of year, good caches to visit, cache critters to watch for, snakes, animals etc...

Its not going to be a long trip, May 15th-19th. but grabbing a few caches at least is desirable.

I plan on building a pocket query and loading the data into my palm and gps for the area. but specifics would be helpful.

I realize this is still a couple of months away..

One "must do" is Octopus Garden, GC70 (yes, that is GC70). This was the first cache placed in NC (placed 9/30/2000). It used to be a "moving" cache but now is a permanent cache. Some of my friends have done it and enjoyed it a lot. It's in Charlotte, NC, not far from where you will be visiting.

As for the weather, it is pretty nice in the daytime and can get a little chilly at night (light jacket weather). For example, this past weekend it was 65 degrees and sunny. Tonight it will get down around 48 degrees. I have also seen it snow as late as May. We like to joke and say that we have all four seasons in NC, sometimes all in the same week! Not a ton of critters to watch out for, but be prepared for ticks and chiggers. I got a tick bite (yuck) just this past week and it was still February!

Hope you have a great trip and get a big ol' dose of Southern Hospitality! <_<

One "must do" is Octopus Garden, GC70 (yes, that is GC70). This was the first cache placed in NC (placed 9/30/2000). It used to be a "moving" cache but now is a permanent cache. Some of my friends have done it and enjoyed it a lot. It's in Charlotte, NC, not far from where you will be visiting.

As for the weather, it is pretty nice in the daytime and can get a little chilly at night (light jacket weather). For example, this past weekend it was 65 degrees and sunny. Tonight it will get down around 48 degrees. I have also seen it snow as late as May. We like to joke and say that we have all four seasons in NC, sometimes all in the same week! Not a ton of critters to watch out for, but be prepared for ticks and chiggers. I got a tick bite (yuck) just this past week and it was still February!

Hope you have a great trip and get a big ol' dose of Southern Hospitality! ;)

Thanks for replying. i definitely plan on loading up the gps and palm with local caches. ill bookmark gc70.

Thanks.