WM6 Smartphone

KandRS

The Blackjack II has a built in GPS. Its supported by Windows Mobile XT, but the Wherigo program won't work with it. Is there any plan to support it coming up? I don't know if its an issue with the smartphone or something else. It does install correctly, but when run it gets NotSupported Exception at Microsoft.AGL.Common.MISC.HandleAR() etc.

Okay, after a bit more looking it appears to be a difference between Pocket PC and Smartphone versions of Windows Mobile. A program made for Smartphone would probably work on both, but not the other way. Something with the buttons and other objects. They aren't supported on the non-touchscreen Smartphones.

So I guess my question about is this going to be supported is still out there. I'd love to play with this program and help spread the love for it.

Okay, after a bit more looking it appears to be a difference between Pocket PC and Smartphone versions of Windows Mobile. A program made for Smartphone would probably work on both, but not the other way. Something with the buttons and other objects. They aren't supported on the non-touchscreen Smartphones.

So I guess my question about is this going to be supported is still out there. I'd love to play with this program and help spread the love for it.

i'm running the program on my wm6 device...the att tilt. the program runs but it won't pick up the gps signal from the built in gps chip. so i'm stuck too

i'm running the program on my wm6 device...the att tilt. the program runs but it won't pick up the gps signal from the built in gps chip. so i'm stuck too

Just to clarify. The Tilt runs Windows Mobile 6 with a touch screen, so it will run the player. The Blackjack is a Windows Mobile 5/6 smartphone and will not run the app until we port it to the Smartphone.

David.

Is there any schedule on the porting? I'm not sure how big the application is, never having played with it, and I've never done Windows Mobile development, so I'm not sure the scale of work involved in such a port. I know the underlying system is pretty similar, its usually a matter of removing the Windows Mobile Professional specific stuff and then making the system work well without a touch screen. Usually something that works with the smartphones seems to work with the rest.

Is there any schedule on the porting? I'm not sure how big the application is, never having played with it, and I've never done Windows Mobile development, so I'm not sure the scale of work involved in such a port. I know the underlying system is pretty similar, its usually a matter of removing the Windows Mobile Professional specific stuff and then making the system work well without a touch screen. Usually something that works with the smartphones seems to work with the rest.

It's not a huge job. Most of the core elements stay the same. The biggest pain is dealing with removing the touch screen elements. If you play a cartridge in the emulator, you'll see pretty much everything is touch screen, including custom commands for objects, back buttons etc. So, it's not trivial. Timeline? Not sure yet.

By the way, I love the blackjack and I have two of them, so, I'm really looking into get Wherigo on it.

David.

Edited by davidloew

I love it too. The blackjack II's built in GPS seems to work great. I use it with Garmin Mobile XT and Cachemate and have little problems with it. I just wish there was a little better compass type app for doing caching, but it works. I know the change from a touch based system can be hard, but using the selection buttons you can usually move between items pretty well. It works for browsing, and that's typically heavily mouse oriented. On the plus side once you've done the change it should open up a lot more systems can can use the program.

By the way, I love the blackjack and I have two of them, so, I'm really looking into get Wherigo on it.

David.

That's rather intriguing news. I'm due to get a new phone, and the Blackjack II is one of the models I'm considering. Seeing Wherigo running on it might make a difference. :ph34r::ph34r::)

Add one more user of the Blackjack 2 who would love to have Wherigo support! Let us know if you get any closer!!

And if you need anyone to help test the beta, I'll be happy to try it before it is ready for prime time and give you guys feedback. Thanks!

Edited by Mojoski

Any more thoughts on this, Wherigo guys? Any movement towards a smartphone version? My BlackJack II is begging for a Wherigo adventure..

:anitongue:

Add one more to the list of people who want to see Wherigo on the BlackJack - how about giving us some feedback as to when this is going to happen?

I gave up on this long ago. Forgot about it except being subscribed to this thread. I wouldn't get your hopes up on this. I would think supporting Windows Mobile Standard would be the easiest conversion, but it hasn't happened. I noticed there is now a Geocaching app for Iphone, so someone out there is programming.

I gave up on this long ago. Forgot about it except being subscribed to this thread. I wouldn't get your hopes up on this. I would think supporting Windows Mobile Standard would be the easiest conversion, but it hasn't happened. I noticed there is now a Geocaching app for Iphone, so someone out there is programming.

hey guys,

have you tried OpenWIG ? :)http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=207358

I actually just got it working today. It didn't work with the provided JVM. I got the September jbed and that worked pretty well. There's still a few issues, but its pretty good. Sad that a 3rd party solution had to be made for another flavor of the same OS. The difference between Windows Mobile Standard and Professional shouldn't be that great.