3D mode in Colorado 300... possible?

When I was at REI getting my Colorado 300 the sales guy showed me the 3D mode on the 400T. I did not ask but I assumed that my 300 would have that. It does not. I checked online and it says you have to have a map with the extensive DEM (digital elevation model). Well the base map of the 300 comes with a DEM of some sort... at least it is in the title if the base map. I am guessing that base DEM does not have enough data. I loaded some old topo maps that I had.... It did not work

So... there is topo 2008.... will it give my 3D. Or am I out of luck with a 300.

I probably would not use it much..... but it was neat to play with it in the store.

When I was at REI getting my Colorado 300 the sales guy showed me the 3D mode on the 400T. I did not ask but I assumed that my 300 would have that. It does not. I checked online and it says you have to have a map with the extensive DEM (digital elevation model). Well the base map of the 300 comes with a DEM of some sort... at least it is in the title if the base map. I am guessing that base DEM does not have enough data. I loaded some old topo maps that I had.... It did not work

So... there is topo 2008.... will it give my 3D. Or am I out of luck with a 300.

I probably would not use it much..... but it was neat to play with it in the store.

I have Topo 2008 on a card in my 300 and it does give me the 3d view. It is neat and could be useful for hiking.

Or am I out of luck with a 300.

No, you are not out of luck.

If you have Topo 2008 you can see the map in a 3D view if you set the map to "Automotive Mode."

Shortcuts->Setup->Map->Orientation (set to: North Up, Track Up or Automotive Mode)

Edited by Barrikady

The 3D mode seems like kind of a gimic to me, mostly because you can't really navigate by it. You cannot see or change any detail of what is shown on the map and routes are so thick on the 3D view that I don't think you could reasonably use that screen for navigation. Also in reality the 3D view quality is pretty poor. That may be a factor of too coarse of DEM data, or not enough algorithm or hardware power to do enough interpolation/smoothing.

I believe you need the topo 2008 data to get the 3D view to work.