Daylight Savings Time

This Sunday is DST. I have a Garmin GPS MAP 60CSx. There are three settings for the Daylight Savings time option, Yes, No, and Auto

I understand the first two. If I select Auto, will the unit automatically adjust the internal time to reflect Daylight Savings Time? I am located in GMT -5 and if I select Yes it will basically change the time to GMT -6. Will this happen if I leave the unit on Auto? The reason I ask is that I have a Delorme PN-20 also and I have to manually tell it that it sould change the time to reflect DST. I was not sure about the Garmin as the manual does not provide any information about the options available under the DST drop down list.

Auto should make the unit automatically switch to and from DST on the appropriate day. I say should because in the US, the dates for DST have changed. These may not be the same worldwide, and some states and countries don't observe it at all.

By selecting "Yes" it forces the unit to adjust the time by one hour. By selecting "No" it forces the unit to use standard time. If auto doesn't work as expected, use the Yes or No option as appropriate.

Garmin didn't release an update for DST, which is unfortunate. It should have been a simple patch. However, I have heard that this year was a test for new DST times and it may or may not stay the same next year. Has anyone also heard this?

That's incorrect. Release 3.20 for the 60CSx contained this fix. There were similar fixes for other models released at the same time.

Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
  • Updated daylight saving time dates.
  • Add capability for 2 wide data fields on map, compass, and highway pages.
  • Add capability for 1 wide data field on map page.
  • Added data card information page.
  • Add selectable alarms for proximity waypoints and custom POI.
  • Improve labeling and scanning of custom POI on the map page.
  • Address issue where custom POI finder would erroneously produce no results.
  • Add capability to see vertical profile of an autoroute using DEM topo data.
  • Fixed issue with incorrect dates showing when editing the date field for Sun & Moon page and Hunt & Fish page.
  • Fix issue where invalid find menu options could show when using the Auto Order feature.
  • Fix issue with the Swiss grid providing incorrect coordinates.
  • Fix issue where route names would be converted to upper case during editing.
  • Update data card driver to support SD version 2 cards.
  • Corrected problem with NMEA input that could corrupt Waypoint names in WPL sentences.

Garmin didn't release an update for DST, which is unfortunate. It should have been a simple patch. However, I have heard that this year was a test for new DST times and it may or may not stay the same next year. Has anyone also heard this?

That's incorrect. Release 3.20 for the 60CSx contained this fix. There were similar fixes for other models released at the same time.

Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
  • Updated daylight saving time dates.
  • Add capability for 2 wide data fields on map, compass, and highway pages.
  • Add capability for 1 wide data field on map page.
  • Added data card information page.
  • Add selectable alarms for proximity waypoints and custom POI.
  • Improve labeling and scanning of custom POI on the map page.
  • Address issue where custom POI finder would erroneously produce no results.
  • Add capability to see vertical profile of an autoroute using DEM topo data.
  • Fixed issue with incorrect dates showing when editing the date field for Sun & Moon page and Hunt & Fish page.
  • Fix issue where invalid find menu options could show when using the Auto Order feature.
  • Fix issue with the Swiss grid providing incorrect coordinates.
  • Fix issue where route names would be converted to upper case during editing.
  • Update data card driver to support SD version 2 cards.
  • Corrected problem with NMEA input that could corrupt Waypoint names in WPL sentences.

I probably should have elaborated further - Garmin didn't release an update for all of their product. All of my units did not have the update (I don't have a 60 series).

Edited by Source_GPS

That's correct. Here is the applicable section of the Energy Policy Act of 2005. Note subsection D in particular:

SEC. 110. DAYLIGHT SAVINGS.

(a) AMENDMENT.—Section 3(a) of the Uniform Time Act of 1966

(15 U.S.C. 260a(a)) is amended—

(1) by striking ‘‘first Sunday of April’’ and inserting ‘‘second

Sunday of March’’; and

(2) by striking ‘‘last Sunday of October’’ and inserting ‘‘first

Sunday of November’’.

( b ) EFFECTIVE DATE.—Subsection (a) shall take effect 1 year

after the date of enactment of this Act or March 1, 2007, whichever

is later.

( c ) REPORT TO CONGRESS.—Not later than 9 months after the

effective date stated in subsection ( b ), the Secretary shall report

to Congress on the impact of this section on energy consumption

in the United States.

(d) RIGHT TO REVERT.—Congress retains the right to revert

the Daylight Saving Time back to the 2005 time schedules once

the Department study is complete.

I must add, it is Daylight Saving Time, not savings. Anyone know where this confusion began? I always called it savings, and we even received a company wide email notifying us that savings time begins this weekend.

Isn't is also funny that "standard" time is now less than half the year? I guess Daylight Saving Time should be renamed Standard Time, and Standard time should be renamed Daylight wasting time. :)

It comes from the fact that Daylight Saving Time is more difficult for Americans to pronounce than Daylight Savings Time. The "s" on Savings allows the words to flow together better for many speakers. It's still wrong, though.

The purpose (according to the government, anyway) is to "save daylight". Hence, Daylight Saving Time.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

It comes from the fact that Daylight Saving Time is more difficult for Americans to pronounce than Daylight Savings Time. The "s" on Savings allows the words to flow together better for many speakers. It's still wrong, though.

The purpose (according to the government, anyway) is to "save daylight". Hence, Daylight Saving Time.

"Savings" implies that it can be stored for later. "Hey, it's 2am, let me pull some of that time out of my savings bank and use it now..."

Old native American comment regarding DST

"White man strange, Cut 1 foot section off blanket sew back on other end. Blanket still same size"