Found an MIA TB

square_peg

This morning I found a TB that hadn't been logged since April 2006 - almost 2 years missing in action. Wasn't even listed as being in the cache.

I sent a note to the owner right away letting them know that it was back in action. I'll wait a day or 2 to log it in hopes that whomever placed it logs it and gives it its earned miles.

It's a good feeling knowing that someone's long lost TB is found again. :laughing:

Edited by square_peg

I found a missing TB that hadn't been found since it was logged into a LIGO picnic event in 2004. :) I found it just last month. When I logged the pick-up, I promptly got an email from the owner thanking me for finding it and rescuing it! :) It was very exciting to say the least that I made some other cacher happy! :) I did log it into the cache I found it and then grabbed it back. Now I'll hopefully find another cache to place it where it won't disappear again into GC space! ;)

Edited by mmacgown
When I logged the pick-up, I promptly got an email from the owner thanking me for finding it and rescuing it! :anitongue: It was very exciting to say the least that I made some other cacher happy!

The owner of the bug I found hasn't responded yet. I hope they didn't quit in frustration. <_<

They last logged in on 2/7/08, so they aren't gone, just probably not near their computer recently to get the email. Some people get on their computers every day, or several times a day. Others may not visit it more then once a month. Or they aren't the chatty type, or they don't feel comfortable contacting people over the internet that they don't know.

But I will thank you, and give you a big pat on the back for getting this bug back in action! :anitongue: I love hearing these stories.

Honestly, this gives me some hope too. I am disappointed that one of my TB's was taken from a cache in the UK last August. I know who took it, but they don't respond to e-mails. So I'm pretty sure it's gone forever...unless it turns up, like in this thread. *crossing fingers*

I have a geocoin that went MIA two years ago where I know who took it (paper log verification by cache owner, they never logged it). But I've given up trying to contact them, even though they still occasionally cache. I really would feel uncomfortable contacting them and saying "I know you took my geocoin 2 yrs. ago, where is it"? :o

Yeah, never lose hope though!! I don't feel like looking it up, but I once found a TB that was MIA for about 2 1/2 years, and it was quite obvious the guy who dropped it that day (whom I actually met on the trail) had it the whole 2 1/2 years. He never logged the cache he took it from online, and it was still logged in the old cache when I grabbed it electronically.

I really would feel uncomfortable contacting them and saying "I know you took my geocoin 2 yrs. ago, where is it"? :o

I wouldn't. I recently sent a note saying, (in short) "Hey, it's been a year, I understand if you lost it. Let me know." Finally I pulled it away. Just a couple days ago they responded saying they gave it to someone and would ask them where it is.

You can't expect a response if you don't ask.

Honestly, this gives me some hope too. I am disappointed that one of my TB's was taken from a cache in the UK last August. I know who took it, but they don't respond to e-mails. So I'm pretty sure it's gone forever...unless it turns up, like in this thread. *crossing fingers*

I have a geocoin that went MIA two years ago where I know who took it (paper log verification by cache owner, they never logged it). But I've given up trying to contact them, even though they still occasionally cache. I really would feel uncomfortable contacting them and saying "I know you took my geocoin 2 yrs. ago, where is it"? :o

Yeah, never lose hope though!! I don't feel like looking it up, but I once found a TB that was MIA for about 2 1/2 years, and it was quite obvious the guy who dropped it that day (whom I actually met on the trail) had it the whole 2 1/2 years. He never logged the cache he took it from online, and it was still logged in the old cache when I grabbed it electronically.

Heck with that. You paid for it, drop 'em a line and just be nice and ask what happened to it.

I have a geocoin that went MIA two years ago where I know who took it (paper log verification by cache owner, they never logged it). But I've given up trying to contact them, even though they still occasionally cache. I really would feel uncomfortable contacting them and saying "I know you took my geocoin 2 yrs. ago, where is it"? :)

Heck with that. You paid for it, drop 'em a line and just be nice and ask what happened to it.

Oh, thanks for the responses, I wasn't expecting any! The uncomfortable part is the guy never logged the cache, or obviously my Geocoin, and I was just told who had it from someone checking the paper log. Now if the guy logged it, and it was listed as "in the hands of ______" for two years, I'd have no problem shooting off an email. Does that make sense? Probably not. B)

Eh, you're right, I paid for it, I should drop 'em another line. B)