Claiming a Co-FTF

wakebrd

I was at a cache that was published. I was the first one there. Looked around the area for about 20 minutes. Logged as a DNF. Sent the owner an email that I couldn't find the cache. This should of been an easy find. The owner went to the cache to place it. The next cacher showed up as the owner forgot to place the cache. He took the FTF. He sent me an email and told me he ran into the owner. Let me know that the cache was placed. I went back and signed the log. Do you think I should be able to claim a Co-FTF?

Wakebrd

I hear your pain; it has happened to me twice. No, I did not claim FTF because I did not sign the log first. I have also been on the other hand - I was the cacher that signed the log first and another cacher claimed an FTF. I did not relinquish my FTF claim and I also didn't make a big deal out of it. FTF's are are not tracked by GC; so, there is no need or reason to make any issue out of it, other than to complain to the hider he wasted your time - that he/she should not submit the cache for publication until the cache is hidden/placed at the listed coordinates. Do it in a nice way, of course.

So your saying that even though I was at the exact location of the cache. I even emailed the owner of where I was. He forgot to leave a log. The next cacher came to the location while the owner was placing the log. I went back and signed the log after I was notified of the mistake. Its not a big deal with this. I have many FTF and will have many more. But if you don't have your cache placed. You shouldn't have it published. That would be like me publishing a cache and not having a log. Then telling my buddy to meet me at the cache so you can get a FTF. I was at the cache 5 minutes after it was published.

So your saying that even though I was at the exact location of the cache. I even emailed the owner of where I was. He forgot to leave a log. The next cacher came to the location while the owner was placing the log. I went back and signed the log after I was notified of the mistake. Its not a big deal with this. I have many FTF and will have many more. But if you don't have your cache placed. You shouldn't have it published. That would be like me publishing a cache and not having a log. Then telling my buddy to meet me at the cache so you can get a FTF. I was at the cache 5 minutes after it was published.

You didn't Find the cache, so how can you claim FTF? You can claim FTDNF.

I had that happen twice. In one case, the cache was not hidden until twelve hours later. Nope. I didn't find it on my first try, because it was not there. FTDNF. Yes. I was rather aggravated! Oh, well.

Well that's what I'm saying. You didn't find a cache because there was no cache to find. It's a risk that FTF hunters take. Depending on timing and the location of the hide some caches are published within minutes of submission. Owners don't always realize that and get caught with their pants down, so to speak. It isn't your fault but you weren't FTF.

Oh BTW, I'm wondering the same thing as some others. Was there no cache or no log? It makes a bit of a difference in my mind.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

As the others have said, nope, you didn't find the cache, so no FTF.

If I walked by this really great spot in the woods, where I found a hollowed out tree that would be GREAT for a cache and 2 days later, a cache was published in that location, could I claim it as a "find"? I mean, I was in the EXACT spot that a cache was later hidden, so I should take it, right?

It's a bummer that the hider didn't quite get it right and sent you on a wild goose chase, but seeing as you didn't FIND any wild geese, then you can't claim any sort of first to "find" on this one.

It's really not that important, but no, you were not the first to find it. Not your fault, but no.

Sorry, no FTF. But remember the owner's name, and on future new caches post a note asking if the cache has been hidden yet? Caches are supposed to be ready to be found when published, not placed after publication. BAD OWNER!!!

That's just one of risks you assume when you become a caching beta tester FTF hound. :laughing:

I went for a FTF and discovered that my way was blocked by a locked gate on a forest service road. The road wasn't closed to people - it just hadn't been opened yet that year for vehicles. I parked my truck (and marked it as a waypoint) and took off walking. I hiked in for about a mile and a half to the area indicated by the coordinates. I looked for a long time and finally hiked back out and logged a DNF. It turned out that the coordinates were off by 10 miles as the crow flies - on the other side of the mountain - and by many, many more miles by road. Someone else who lived in the area of the cache recognized a part of the description on the cache page and figured out that the cache was probably in their area and some numbers had been messed up when the cache was listed. They went out and found the cache. I was First To Look and First To DNF but not FTF.

When trying to be FTF I've found numerous times that coordinates were off by many feet. It's one of the hazards of the FTF thing. You can end up being the cache location tester. I was FTF on a cache that was right next to a trail. The coordinates put me over 100 feet down a fairly steep hill at the base of a tree surrounded by poison oak. I looked for a very long time for that one since it was part of a series and I needed info from it to locate the final cache in the series. It's pretty amazing to me that I ever found the thing at all.

I've done a lot of FTF caching in the dark and it can definitely be a challenge. I always have to wonder if the coordinates are good or if I'm simply flailing around in the darkness in the wrong spot. When things don't go right there's not much you can do about it so don't waste your time worrying about it or being upset about it. Just go out and have fun.

I ended up taking a FTDNF. I like that the owner should buy me a beer for his mistake. It was nice for the FTF to walk with the owner to the location where the cache was placed and sign a FTF. Who knows if it was a setup so the FTF could claim a FTF. I was going to leave a log where the cache was and sign it. I went back and signed the log and was right where it should of been. That okay. I picked up 5 FTF in the last 24 hours. Those well made up for it. Happy Caching.

Wakebrd

... I was going to leave a log where the cache was and sign it. ...
Others might disagree with me, but this is a BAD habit to start. Always contact the owner before being "helpful" and placing a replacement cache just so you can claim one more "smiley".

Just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it isn't there. Maybe the original hider didn't spot the "perfect" spot you found, maybe your GPSr was off because of major atmospheric interference, and maybe you just plain didn't look in the right location. If it *is* still there, you placing another container and log just makes it confusing for the next person because there are two containers and two logs.

But you appear to be a budding FTF and numbers hound, so you'll probably ignore all this and keep rackin' up the smileys in whatever way you can.

I was at a cache that was published. I was the first one there. Looked around the area for about 20 minutes. Logged as a DNF. Sent the owner an email that I couldn't find the cache. This should of been an easy find. The owner went to the cache to place it. The next cacher showed up as the owner forgot to place the cache. He took the FTF. He sent me an email and told me he ran into the owner. Let me know that the cache was placed. I went back and signed the log. Do you think I should be able to claim a Co-FTF?

Wakebrd

NO!!!!! And I don't believe that you're asking this question!!!!

But you appear to be a budding FTF and numbers hound, so you'll probably ignore all this and keep rackin' up the smileys in whatever way you can.
There is no excuse for this type of baseless personal attack in this instance. Shame on you. The OP just posed a question.
That's true, I should not have posted my last paragraph. I was having a bad day at work and was quite a bit snippier than I should have been. I apologize to wakebrd and anyone who was offended by the comment.

But in my defense:

I was going to leave a log where the cache was and sign it.
Classic obsessive numbers hound action - claiming a find without actually "finding" anything. Anything for another smiley. But he didn't follow through with the action, so maybe he hasn't gone too far toward the dark side...

I was at the cache 5 minutes after it was published.
I picked up 5 FTF in the last 24 hours.
Sounds like a FTF hound to me.

There's nothing wrong with either a numbers or a FTF hound. If big numbers make you happy, then go for it. I log all caches I find, and I post all my (few) FTF's to my profile. I'll even go out of my way to snag a FTF if I have the opportunity, but that's rare with my schedule.

Again, I apologize for the snippy comment I made earlier.

Wakebrd

So, are you saying that the owner hadn't placed the cache before the listing was activated?

If so and you went to the area, you still weren't the first to find. I don't think you can claim it.

There is no excuse for this type of baseless personal attack in this instance. Shame on you. The OP just posed a question.
That's true, I should not have posted my last paragraph. I was having a bad day at work and was quite a bit snippier than I should have been. I apologize to wakebrd and anyone who was offended by the comment.

But in my defense:

Classic obsessive numbers hound action - claiming a find without actually "finding" anything. Anything for another smiley. But he didn't follow through with the action, so maybe he hasn't gone too far toward the dark side...

There's nothing wrong with either a numbers or a FTF hound. If big numbers make you happy, then go for it. I log all caches I find, and I post all my (few) FTF's to my profile. I'll even go out of my way to snag a FTF if I have the opportunity, but that's rare with my schedule.

Trying to justify your comments by making more inflammatory remarks is a good way to get suspended from the forums. Please review the forum guidelines before continuing.

Team GPSaxophone

Forum Moderator

Wakebrd

All of my finds have been FTFs for me.

First Time I Found it.

Kinda hard not to be a FTF hog with 5. The person that put out the caches where right by my house. Just happen to go out and log some cahes and I happen to get FTF's on them.

But in my defense:

After see everyones comments about a co-FTF. I took a FTDNF. Thanks for all the postings. Good Luck to everyone on getting a FTF. Just remember you may not get one when you show up. Your the tester of the cache. Good luck to everyone on there finds. Happy Caching, Wakebrd

After see everyones comments about a co-FTF. I took a FTDNF. Thanks for all the postings. Good Luck to everyone on getting a FTF. Just remember you may not get one when you show up. Your the tester of the cache. Good luck to everyone on there finds. Happy Caching, Wakebrd

There ya go, Wakebrd! Don't worry 'bout the numbers or the competition. It is all about having fun and the only person you have to compete with is yourself. The better caches, the ones that you will remember, are the ones you don't just go out the front door and scoop up.