When is an old cache a new cache

warthog

I know this must have been discussed before, so apologies for that.

I did a cache on the weekend, where the original cache (which I found some time back), was moved to a new location. The new location is approx 250 metres away from original location, which according to the .1 mile rule (160 metres) could (should?) have been a new cache.

This was as if it was a new find to me, but due to the "one find per cache" rule, did not log another find.

Question: Should this have been a new cache? Would it be acceptable to log another find in this case, as it is more than 160 metres from original location?

We have the same dilemma. In August last year we returned to a cache just outside Walvis Bay in Namibia. This cache had been muggled and moved more than 8km down the road!!! It is also on the other side of the road from the original. It has the original GC number so technically is not a new cache. We did however sign the logbook in the hope that we could log.We mailed Erik and asked his permission to log. But he isn't in the position to allow us to as it is up to the cache owner.

We have mailed the cache owner repeatedly since then and to date have not received an answer. :laughing:

Would love to hear what the general consensus is on this one.

well, my theory is that if its still the same cache page, you can't relog, no matter how far its moved. If its got a new page then you can

That said, I am still hestitant to log even if its a new page but has the same name as a previous one

-2 examples are "constantia peak" in Cape town, which went missing and was replaced as a new cache by a new cacher, and also JHB's Best view which was replaced by Joburghs best view

I never felt quite right to do either of the replacements, even though it was a new cache.

well, my theory is that if its still the same cache page, you can't relog, no matter how far its moved. If its got a new page then you can

I'm with DBob on this one. Well that's my rule anyway, no new page, no new log.

If the cache was so fundamentally different then the owner should have created it as a new cache. But sometimes caches have to move and the move may be quite a distance, but the theme still the same.