Google Android

It probably won't outperform a Garmin 60CSX as far as GPS usage goes. Phone manufactures aren't likely to put SirfIII's in a phone, I don't think.

However, the platform itself has the ability to replace my Phone, Camera, and Palm in one device. It is totally open to user created programs, meaning it would be possible to create a "GSAK" for the phone. The other cool program possiblities are endless.

Check out the second video on the website. The guy has made a geocaching platform for the phone, letting you see caching friends on the map. I assume, using the built in GPS on the phone. How awesome would this be for group caching? If you lost the pack, you could still see them on the map and find them again.

http://code.google.com/android/

It probably won't outperform a Garmin 60CSX as far as GPS usage goes. Phone manufactures aren't likely to put SirfIII's in a phone, I don't think.

However, the platform itself has the ability to replace my Phone, Camera, and Palm in one device. It is totally open to user created programs, meaning it would be possible to create a "GSAK" for the phone. The other cool program possiblities are endless.

Check out the second video on the website. The guy has made a geocaching platform for the phone, letting you see caching friends on the map. I assume, using the built in GPS on the phone. How awesome would this be for group caching? If you lost the pack, you could still see them on the map and find them again.

http://code.google.com/android/

That is very cool! Thanks for sharing it! :o

It's true that most handset makers won't put a "real" GPS in a cell fone. But in anything that'll run Android, bluetooth wouldn't be an ureasonable expectation. When a Bluetooth GPS with Sirf III goes for $38 USD, it's hard to get too wound up about them not being integrated. Yes, it's another device, another set of batteries, etc.

Since this post will likely outlive that sale, I'll say that there are lots of inexpensive Bluetooth GPS receivers.

Signed,

No relation to Semsons, just a customer.

I've got a Holux M1000 I use with my Nokia 770 (tablet PC) and it works great. I got a decent position lock inside our warehouse, and the other GPS units I have lose signal 10 feet from the windows. Battery life is 10-15 hours and it can recharge off your PC or a USB auto adapter.

I've also got a Holux USB GPS receiver for my laptop, and it works well also. I have a metal arm that runs across my sunroof that holds a magnetic XM antenna. I just pop the GPS up there and away I go.

Well, maybe i'm wrong! Still, though, i'd prefer to still have a separate GPS.

Combing too many devices causes conflicts. For example, if I got a call while walking to a cache, i'd have to stop and talk because my GPS is on the same device. Whereas, with two, I can keep walking towards the location. Unless someone produces a "tough" phone for android, it wouldn't be good to be carrying it over muddy trails and creeks, anyway.

Everything else, though, would be great wrapped in to one. Need two hands to operate the Palm or Digital Camera anyway. The only problem will be the price-tag. With the talk and internet service, these will probably rack up over $100 a month.

Edited by dougsmiley
if I got a call while walking to a cache, i'd have to stop and talk because my GPS is on the same device. Whereas, with two, I can keep walking towards the location. Unless someone produces a "tough" phone for android, it wouldn't be good to be carrying it over muddy trails and creeks, anyway.

Doesn't everyone already cache with their cellphone? :rolleyes:

As far as talking and caching, if you have a bluetooth handsfree, you shouldn't have any problem answering a phone call, and still caching.