Completing a Wherigo cache

dogastus

What are the guidelines to completing a Wherigo cache? Logically to me, it would seem that the obvious thing to do is to put the completion code in the cache. This would mean that someone couldn't officially complete the cartridge till he found the physical cache.

Is this correct?

As a new completion code is generated for each download of the cartridge, you cannot put it in the cache physically. However, you can check whether the physical cache has been found by requiring another code, which is placed in the cache, before the cartridge reveals the completion code.

That's the way I did it, and although I am not sure about the *official* answer to your question as well, I would certainly require the cache to be found to complete the cartridge

Edited by frigschneck

Unless something has changed recently, I don't think the completion code is unique per person.

If it was me, I would keep a log book in the physical cache. That proves the person was at the cache. As for the cartridge, I would require the person upload the GWS file to unlock the cartridge. That would prove the person completed the cartridge. Personally, I don't like unlock codes because they can be circulated.

What is a completion code?

Is it displayed once the cartridge has finished?

A completion code will mark a cartridge as unlocked on the site. Some cartridges will display the code upon completion and some won't. For the ones that won't, you'll have to upload your save file to the site (it's option number one, I think). I prefer upload method because I see it as more secure than providing a code that could be circulated.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but is the completion code something that the compiler adds to the cartridge or does it have to be added with script?

I haven't made a cartridge yet (mostly due to my schedule), so cannot supply that information. Can someone please provide a definite answer?

The completion code (or unlock code) is unique for each user. It would be better to do as proposed already - create another code in the cache that a user can enter into the cartridge to complete it. However keep in mind that a code in a cache can be shared with others so nothing is completely foolproof.

It would be better to do as proposed already - create another code in the cache that a user can enter into the cartridge to complete it. However keep in mind that a code in a cache can be shared with others so nothing is completely foolproof.

Also traditional geocaching relies on the honesty of the players - unless cache owners are willing to crosscheck each online log with the physical logbook (I admit I dont). And currently there are a number of ways you can "cheat" - when I hid the first Wherigo cache in Austria, the first thing one of our cachers did is to load the .gwc into a hex-editor and analyse the file...

I have a rather relaxed attitude: it's a game, and if somebody wants to spoil his experience, it's his own decision and fault. As long as we dont get paid by Groundspeak for each completed cartridge (that's an idea, isnt it? <_< ), I don't care too much...

The completion code (or unlock code) is unique for each user.

Does this have to be displayed to the user somehow or is it built in?

If you want people to use the code instead of uploading a save file you will need to display it to the user. Otherwise you just need to mark the cartridge as complete and the save file will unlock the cartridge. Personally I like this better since it requires the user to submit the results of their experience.

The completion code (or unlock code) is unique for each user. It would be better to do as proposed already - create another code in the cache that a user can enter into the cartridge to complete it. However keep in mind that a code in a cache can be shared with others so nothing is completely foolproof.

Hey. I was able to unlock a Wherigo cartridge twice by uploading the same completed log file to two different GC accounts. Is this correct? I guess it is similar to allowing a player to input his completion code for team mates but then that would only work from one account (I assume).

Hey. I was able to unlock a Wherigo cartridge twice by uploading the same completed log file to two different GC accounts. Is this correct? I guess it is similar to allowing a player to input his completion code for team mates but then that would only work from one account (I assume).

And to add to that question:

How does this relate to the assists you mentioned before?

Where or How does the completion code get displayed to the user. I have a code in the cache that the user is required to input and if it is correct it marks the cartridge as complete. However when testing in the emulator, the unigue closing code does not show up. Is that just an emulator thing or is there some specific code I need to put in the cartridge, and if so what is that code?

Thanks

Where or How does the completion code get displayed to the user. I have a code in the cache that the user is required to input and if it is correct it marks the cartridge as complete. However when testing in the emulator, the unigue closing code does not show up. Is that just an emulator thing or is there some specific code I need to put in the cartridge, and if so what is that code?

Thanks

The completion code is a system variable. You need to add some code to display it.

The way I have done it is: when I mark the cartridge as complete, I also put an item called "Completion Code" in their inventory - and show them a message telling them that it is there. On the "Completion Code" item I have an action "Get Code", which includes this dialog message:

[[Your completion code is: ]] .. Player.CompletionCode .. [[. Please use the first 15 characters of it on Wherigo.com to unlock the cartridge]]

You could just do this as one off dialog message without the item; I like the item as they can go back and look at it later.

Thanks

The completion code is a system variable. You need to add some code to display it.

The way I have done it is: when I mark the cartridge as complete, I also put an item called "Completion Code" in their inventory - and show them a message telling them that it is there. On the "Completion Code" item I have an action "Get Code", which includes this dialog message:

[[Your completion code is: ]] .. Player.CompletionCode .. [[. Please use the first 15 characters of it on Wherigo.com to unlock the cartridge]]

You could just do this as one off dialog message without the item; I like the item as they can go back and look at it later.

Very helpful. I like the idea of moving the item to their inventor. But not sure what you mean, you "have an action." Do you mean an event? (I am using Earwigo.) For a newbie, can you clarify?

Very helpful. I like the idea of moving the item to their inventor. But not sure what you mean, you "have an action." Do you mean an event? (I am using Earwigo.) For a newbie, can you clarify?

The "action" is a command for the item. A command produces buttons under the item. You produce a command on the properties tab of the item. The command has an event associated that you can use to display the completion code.

Here is the link to the FAQ section http://www.earwigo.net/WWB/wiki/doku.php?id=tips_and_tricks#completion_code

And here is the more detailed version in the tutorial

http://www.earwigo.net/WWB/wiki/doku.php?id=create_your_first_cartridge#the_completion_code

HTH Holger [;)]

Unless something has changed recently, I don't think the completion code is unique per person.

If it was me, I would keep a log book in the physical cache. That proves the person was at the cache. As for the cartridge, I would require the person upload the GWS file to unlock the cartridge. That would prove the person completed the cartridge. Personally, I don't like unlock codes because they can be circulated.

Didn't check any other message dates or times. This is just a reply to this comment.

NO, each player gets their own code ! And it is unique to the person who downloaded it.

Each player should have their own code, Stompy and Stampy, Landon Smith have great videos on this.

Umm... K-and-K... That, uh, comment you replied to was from early 2008, just two months after Wherigo was released. (No joke "didn't check any other message dates or times.")

But to be contrary, unlock codes can be circulated. If you know the person's handle (user name) and his or her unlock code, you can enter both in Wherigo.com to unlock the cartridge.

But, yes, the unlock code is unique per person, not as I originally stated (I forgot if it was originally like this or it was a change made around that time--nine years is quite a bit of time to remember something like that). In the time since then, unlock codes have gotten buggy. Either the site's compiler is generating extra characters after the unlock code or the site's unlock code verifier is trimming it to a certain length and comparing it against the player's full untrimmed unlock code.