Garmin Etrex rubber sleeve coming unglued

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend C, and the rubber sleeve around the sides is coming unglued. I seem to remember some instructions for repair on the forums, but cannot find them now. Does anyone know what the best adhesive glue to use for this repair is? ANy hints or tricks for getting it properly reglued?

Thanks,

:D

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend C, and the rubber sleeve around the sides is coming unglued. I seem to remember some instructions for repair on the forums, but cannot find them now. Does anyone know what the best adhesive glue to use for this repair is? ANy hints or tricks for getting it properly reglued?

Thanks,

:o

Apparently, there is no real fix, or any glue that will hold for any amount of time... I too have a Legend, (since upgraded to a GPSMAP 60cx) and my glue has also started to come 'unglued'.

I have heard of others contacting Garmin and they have fixed or replaced the unit all together...

Good luck.

Why not upgrade ?? The 60cx's have gotten ALOT cheaper .... and are great units. I see them selling at store fronts for under $300.

Thanks,

:o

This might be what you are referring too

inside etrex

and this.

Deconstructing-etrex

Mike

I called the 800 # for Garmin support, and they are sending me a kit consisting of a new rubber and a new adhesive band FOR FREE!!!!

And the new one will eventually have the same problem as your existing one.

I wish Garmin would come up with an actual solution to this problem.

I have a Vista HCx.

Just called support an they said they only have rubber band kits for the Black & white models & that I would need to send mine in for service (10 months old).

Was I fed a 'story' or is this true?

Has anyone else had this situation recently?

There has to be a TON of you out there with loose sticky surrounds...

Am I stuck doing a DIY with the old band if I'm not willing to give up my GPSr for a few weeks??

I have a Vista HCx.

Just called support an they said they only have rubber band kits for the Black & white models & that I would need to send mine in for service (10 months old).

Am I stuck doing a DIY with the old band if I'm not willing to give up my GPSr for a few weeks??

Try just putting a rubber band around it.

This is a topic that comes up way too often, and boy how it surprises me that Garmin has not come up with a fix to it in ten years.

Anyway, I know a glue which is actually sticks very reasonably to the rubber: Silane based glue. In many countries this is sold by Loctite as "Repair Extreme".

Remove all gunk from both receiver and rubber using gasoline. Then sandpaper the rubber band's inside slightly, apply a thin layer of silane glue (be careful not to get it near the button areas), and slide it into place. Then wait 24 hours and your rubber should be reasonably stuck to the GPS for a very long time.

I have read about some varieties of heavy duty adhesive tape working as well.

Actually I think the eTrex design should be ditched, unless Garmin can come up with a good solution to this problem. I just bought a new eTrex H, would have bought a Geko H or GPS 76 H any day instead if those models existed.

Make sure you do get it fixed before winter comes!!

I lost my last GPSr to a good rainstorm last month.

The rubber was loose just in one little spot.

Rain got in, and DEAD!!

MAN what are all those wiggly lines across the screen about????? :)

I got a new GPS lately and made a really nice see-through plastic case for it.

Taking no chances on this one!!!

(and my new waterproof case comes with a clip on it to attach to my belt or backpack or whatever.

and I can work all the controls right through it!!)

I have a Vista HCx.

Hi. Personally what I would suggest would be sending it back to Garmin since it's still under warranty. I had a Vista HCx and I contacted Garmin and they advised me how to return it to them (make sure you take your memory card and batteries out before mailing it to them). I have to say after the rubber banding falling off what I did was I sent it in to Garmin and literally in about 8 days (note to Garmins credit it was days NOT weeks) they'd sent me a refurbished Vista HCx which I promptly sold and bought my new Delorme PN-40 which I got on sale for a little less than the price I originally paid for my Vista HCx and my topo maps I bought for it. One of the best this is the PN-40 comes with street and topo maps of the U.S. included at no extra cost. Oh and the PN-40 or it's little brother the PN-30 are both completely paperless!

Regardless of whether you decide to keep your Vista or not do send it in to Garmin and get the problem fixed properly. At least in my case it really was only a matter of days and they had a refurbished replacement Vista HCx back to me. Good luck.

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

I have the Legend hcx,I just inspected it closely and it seems fine for now.

Is there a particular weak spot in the design?Perhaps from a preventative maintainance point of view something could be done if people could post where theyre band first separated.My inspection just now

has me thinking I'll be reinforcing the hinge area of the rubber flap that seals the USB port as there doesnt

appear to much glue in that area at all on mine and the leverage of the flap could be a problem over time.

Is there a particular weak spot in the design?Perhaps from a preventative maintainance point of view something could be done if people could post where theyre band first separated.My inspection just now

has me thinking I'll be reinforcing the hinge area of the rubber flap that seals the USB port as there doesnt

appear to much glue in that area at all on mine and the leverage of the flap could be a problem over time.

On my eTrex Vista HCx it started in the top lert corner as you're looking at the screen and then pretty quickly came loose to about 2/3 of the way down the left side and also about 2/3 of the way across the top before I got it sent in. I think I've read that the problem is something to do with the adhesive that Garmin uses on the banding. All I know is it got old real fast getting sticky adhesive on my hand and the GPSr screen. :)

I had heard that heat was the culprit until I worked with a couple of guys that had those and one never had a problem and the other always had that problem (both were used desert locations). The first guy always handled his unit while wearing NOMEX gloves, while the one with the problems used his bare hands and around the buttons the rubber would start to separate (he had the Garmin case). Turns out it was from suntan oil seeping under the rubber and dissolving the glue. After finding out that, he never had the problem again. Always wash your hands after using something like that, or wear gloves.

On my eTrex Vista HCx it started in the top lert corner as you're looking at the screen and then pretty quickly came loose to about 2/3 of the way down the left side and also about 2/3 of the way across the top before I got it sent in. I think I've read that the problem is something to do with the adhesive that Garmin uses on the banding. All I know is it got old real fast getting sticky adhesive on my hand and the GPSr screen. :P

Mine appears to be fine in that area and all the way around for the moment at least.The scrolling buttons are

located there and they see alot of use.I was thinking when a unit goes in for service this band has to be

removed and replaced.....gets me wondering if the original process is automated or hand assembled,if

that part of the final assembly is by hand it could explain the inconsistant distribution of the adhesive....

I don't suppose Garmin would tell us what adhesive they're using......... :)

I had heard that heat was the culprit until I worked with a couple of guys that had those and one never had a problem and the other always had that problem (both were used desert locations). The first guy always handled his unit while wearing NOMEX gloves, while the one with the problems used his bare hands and around the buttons the rubber would start to separate (he had the Garmin case). Turns out it was from suntan oil seeping under the rubber and dissolving the glue. After finding out that, he never had the problem again. Always wash your hands after using something like that, or wear gloves.

Now thats interesting indeed,it brings into play everything from sun tan oil that you mentioned to hand sanitizer...maybe even aftershave.My band is not sealed at the edges,it could easily get under there

and act like a solvent...a little dew or rainy day to get some moisture on your hands..........hmmmm

Not really a practical solution for a consumer device which is designed and sold as being suitable for rugged outdoors use.

I really think Garmin should have designed this defect out many years ago, but I think we are just stuck with it, sadly. Garmin don't seem to care.

Now thats interesting indeed,it brings into play everything from sun tan oil that you mentioned to hand sanitizer...maybe even aftershave.My band is not sealed at the edges,it could easily get under there

and act like a solvent...a little dew or rainy day to get some moisture on your hands..........hmmmm

I could see a lot of different chemicals causing problems, after all the units are designed to be waterproof, not chemical proof.

Always wash your hands after using something like that, or wear gloves.

Not really a practical solution for a consumer device which is designed and sold as being suitable for rugged outdoors use.

Washing you hands prevents cross contamination and retards the spread of virus, germs and other bad things, also helps keep fingerprints off the units with touchscreens. Might not be practical always, but never a bad idea.

I just tried lifting the edge of mine carefully with my thumpnail,its much closer to the edge then I thought

and perfectly uniform.It looks to me like a double sided adhesive strip which would make sense.I think

You'd have a hell of time getting that band on there and positioned without getting glue every where.

But thats the good news,there are some industrial double sided tapes available that are incredible.We use

a 3M tape at work to hold sleeves on pressbrake dies,its only about .005 thick after the backing is off and

almost impossible to separate those smooth steel pieces once together.

If mine does fail thats where I'm heading first I think.

But thats the good news,there are some industrial double sided tapes available that are incredible.We use

a 3M tape at work to hold sleeves on pressbrake dies

Your heavy-duty industrial tape might be incredible, but so is Garmin's rubber sleeve. I have heard reports of some tapes sticking to the rubber, but have never seen a successful fastening using tape myself.

As for oil dissolving the glue, it might be true but I do not think this is the sole reason. Never handled my GPS with noticeably greasy or oily hands, so if it is from that, it's natural skin oils that cause it.

Anyway - there are no ways around this or excuses for Garmin, a GPS sold as a "rugged" outdoor device which can not handle "standard use" - a little heat or fats - without breaking is FAULTY FAULTY FAULTY.

a 3M tape at work to hold sleeves on pressbrake dies

Your heavy-duty industrial tape might be incredible, but so is Garmin's rubber sleeve. I have heard reports of some tapes sticking to the rubber, but have never seen a successful fastening using tape myself.

As for oil dissolving the glue, it might be true but I do not think this is the sole reason. Never handled my GPS with noticeably greasy or oily hands, so if it is from that, it's natural skin oils that cause it.

Anyway - there are no ways around this or excuses for Garmin, a GPS sold as a "rugged" outdoor device which can not handle "standard use" - a little heat or fats - without breaking is FAULTY FAULTY FAULTY.

Oh I think we all agree garmin has a problem.I can see where they were coming from,the band makes a

nice grip, but from a design standpoint lapping a joint is never a good idea especially for a watertight

application and in this case where the working of the buttons works on the adhesive.

A rubber seal imbedded in the case and a nice friction seal when the two halves are snapped together

would make more sense to me.A membrane from the inside as theyve done with the front rocker button

would seal them up nicely.Anywho....they seem quite content to keep pumping them out like this.

Hopefully I won't have to worry about a DIY fix on mine.

The rubber on the yellow's never seems to last.

From a UK regional forum-

A UK cacher contacted Garmin UK and got the reply:

"have ever only seen 2 other cases of this particular fault.

This is not a known issue by Garmin although I will certainly pass on your comments."

But, told him to return the unit, which he did, and update on his forum post:

received a new replacement etrex from Garmin today, under warranty with the failure classification given as "F52 - poor cosmetic appearance"! So it was well worth contacting Garmin about this.

Maybe more cachers should be contacting Garmin with this problem, seems, according to these and other forums, it's a regular problem.

The rubber band on our etrex vista was getting very bad a little over a year ago. Email to garmin resulted in a replacement band with the double stick tape already applies. It is a little tricky to install, but has held up fairly well the past year.

We frequently use it while hiking & caching - certainly times when sunscreen and bug repellent are essential. And who who every think the outdoor hiking gps could not be carried in your hand? It is time for another replacement band to keep the sand and water out of the unit.

Buying a new unit (upgrade) is not a viable option just because the rubber armor is coming off.

I could see a lot of different chemicals causing problems, after all the units are designed to be waterproof, not chemical proof.

Always wash your hands after using something like that, or wear gloves.

Washing you hands prevents cross contamination and retards the spread of virus, germs and other bad things, also helps keep fingerprints off the units with touchscreens. Might not be practical always, but never a bad idea.

I've had a Legend Cx for 3 years and it has always been enclosed in neoprene case, other than the buttons. Even with that on, the rubber band has come loose. Never got it wet or used any liquids on it. Just poor design, I guess.

I had to fix the band on my Legend HCx just last night. I'm getting better at it, since this is the third eTrex that I've owned and had to fix.

I use the black engine gasket sealant/adhesive you can buy at any auto parts store or Wally-World for about $3 a tube. It's messy to work with, but your rubber band will never come off again after using it. I tried Shoo-Goo, and several other "high-power" glues, but none of them worked.

The biggest destructive force to cause the rubber to come off is heat and sunlight. Never leave it in a hot car or on the dash as the adhesive will surely self destruct and cause the rubber to come loose. I speak from experience as I have reglued mine so many times now I have lost count. The thing I used that works the best is an automotive silicone glue but even after a couple of years it always seems to come loose again.

The rubber band on our etrex vista was getting very bad a little over a year ago. Email to garmin resulted in a replacement band with the double stick tape already applies. It is a little tricky to install, but has held up fairly well the past year.

I did the same the spring of '09 w/ my Legend Cx. The band has started to separate near the top. I use it in my truck yearround & mountain biking. In the winter I use it on a handlebar mount on my snowmobile. I don't use it a lot when hiking & when I do I have the GPSr in the Garmin "pouch".

I first contacted Garmin in KS then forwarded the reply to Raytech (their repair center in Canada).

RE: Rubber Band Peeling Off (KMM15134545I15977L0KM)‏

Sent: December 31, 2009 10:39:04 AM

To: XXXXXXX

1 attachment

image001.jpg (2.2 KB)

Hello XXXXXX,

We do not hold parts anymore. Garmin only offers to replace units now. The flat rate for an Etrex Legend Cx is of 106.85$. To send the unit, you will need to use our repair form which can be found here: www.raytech.ca .

Regards,

Maxim G

1439A Boulevard Des Laurentides

Laval, Qc, Canada

H7M 2Y3

Tel: (450) 975-1015

1-888-887-6627

Fax: (450) 975-0817

1-800-975-0025

www.raytech.ca

service@raytech.ca

If replying to this message, please include ALL correspondence!

Please think about the environment prior to printing this e-mail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

De : XXXXXXXXX

Publié à : December 30, 2009 10:45 PM

Publié dans : Service

Conversation : Rubber Band Peeling Off (KMM15134545I15977L0KM)

Objet : FW: Rubber Band Peeling Off (KMM15134545I15977L0KM)

Dear Sir/Madam:

Is it necessary for me to send the unit to you for you to replace the "rubber band" on my Legend Cx? I was able to order the "band" and tape strip from Garmin and repair the unit myself in the past. I use my GPSr when I snowmobile and since the season has started, I don't want to be without the unit.

Any info about ordering the replacement parts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Kris

XXXXXX, Ontario

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:19:31 -0600

To: XXXXXXXXX

Subject: Re: Rubber Band Peeling Off (KMM15134545I15977L0KM)

Dear Kris XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

We no longer have these parts available for shipping. The device would have to come in for a repair to have the parts replaced. Since you are in Canada you would need to contact Raytech for a repair.

www.raytech.ca

With Best Regards,

James G

Product Support Specialist

Outdoor/Fitness Team

Garmin International

913-397-8200

800-800-1020

913-440-8280 (fax) Att: James G, Associate #5692

www.garmin.com

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Form Message

Knowledge Job Ticket:

{c761ca40-e06f-11de-6566-000000000000}

Knowledge Session Log URL:

undefined?session={c761ca40-e06f-11de-6566-000000000000}&forward=sesslog

KnowledgeBase:

garmin

Subject:

Rubber Band Peeling Off

Message Body:

I replaced the "rubber band" earlier this year with the rubber piece and tape you sent me. It has started to peel off again at the top of the unit by the USB cable "socket" protector. I was wondering if you could sens me the replacement pieces?

MarketName:

On the Trail

ProductGroup:

eTrex Series

Product:

eTrex Legend Cx

Type:

Repair Information

SerialNumber:

Full Name:

XXXXXXXX

First Name:

Kris

Last Name:

XXXXXXXXXX

Email Address:

XXXXXXXX

Phone Number:

XXXXXXXX

Address:

XXXXXXXX

City:

XXXXXXXX

State:

Ontario

Zip:

XXXXXXXX

Canada

myGarmin:

XXXXXXX

I think there's a business opportunity for someone to come up w/ a "kit" to rectify the issue. I can't see how a company can afford to replace units when the problem is a couple of 50 cent pieces.

I have a very old Etrex Camo, and a very old Etrex Legend. Both of them had problems with the band coming off. I ended up taking the band off. I cleaned the band and the GPS body with mineral spirits carefully. I used Black RTV silicone that is rated for engine blocks. I put a thin amount on the unit and the band. I put the band back on and used masking tape to keep it in place. Those units have been running for at least 5 or 6 years with that fix. It works like a charm you just have to go slow and do it right. The mineral spirits I think is the key. Everything is clean. The RTV sticks like crazy and you can remove the excess if you mess up. Ron

Is this a widespread problem? I have an eTrex Vista that I purchased around Christmas 2001 and have yet to have any problems with it. In fact, I was so happy with the unit that I just put an order into Amazon for the Vista HCx. I really don't feel like dealing with these kinds of issues on a $200+ purchase.

I think if you use it outside in weather the band will come unglued.

My Venture CX has lived in a drawer for over 2 years and is perfect.

My Vista HCx is used most weekends clipped to my 'bike, has been frozen, baked, soaked and the band fell off in about 18 months.

I just cleaned off all the glue from the band and the vinyl tape on the unit, and superglued it back on.

I think if you use it outside in weather the band will come unglued.

My Vista HCx is used most weekends clipped to my 'bike, has been frozen, baked, soaked and the band fell off in about 18 months.

I just cleaned off all the glue from the band and the vinyl tape on the unit, and superglued it back on.

I would not consider my unit abused yet the "adhesive" didn't last 8 months.

Is this a widespread problem? I have an eTrex Vista that I purchased around Christmas 2001 and have yet to have any problems with it. In fact, I was so happy with the unit that I just put an order into Amazon for the Vista HCx. I really don't feel like dealing with these kinds of issues on a $200+ purchase.

You asked if this is a widespread problem. In my opinion the answer is yes. I can't tell you the percentage of Garmin eTrex units that have this defect, but I can tell you from reading around here on the forums it's not a rare occurance. Last Spring I bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and I think it was August when I had to send it to Garmin for warranty repairs for the rubber banding falling off.

I've read where some people here blame it on leaving the GPSr in a hot car or using in hot temps outdoors. Then there are others that feel that maybe there' an interaction of chemicals from maybe sun screen or mosquito repellant sprays on the users body that causes the banding to fall off. I can guarantee you that I never once left my Vista HCx in a closed up car and never used sunscreen or insect repellent and mine had the banding fall off very quickly.

From what I've read this problem has been going on for years and Garmin either can't or won't fix this defective design flaw. The most shocking part to me is seeing how many folks who have had this problem and then just say oh just use some electrical tape to hold it together it's no problem. Well I guess I'm in the minority but I was very disgusted to find out that Garmin has known of this defect for years and it's still ocurring. I guess I'm in the minority, but the way I see it companies should not sell items that cost $200 and have known and ignored defects in them. And why people who get these defective GPSr's and remain so loyal to the company that sold them a piece of garbage really baffles me.

It's because of the problem with the rubber banding falling off that I got rid of my piece of defective garbage eTrex Vista HCx and bought a Delorme PN-40 and have not regretted it for one second. My advice to you is when you get your Vista return it immediately and buy either a Delorme PN-30 or a Delorme PN-40. They cost about the same as your Vista HCx, but are completely paperless, have maps included at no extra charge and they don't fall apart like the eTrex line seems to do pretty regularly. If you're not familar with the Delorme GPSr's read up on their reviews at Amazon.com . They are a HUGE step up from the eTrex line and if you catch them on sale their price is about the same as an eTrex Vista HCx.

Good luck! :anibad:

Anyway, I know a glue which is actually sticks very reasonably to the rubber: Silane based glue. In many countries this is sold by Loctite as "Repair Extreme".

If that's the same thing as Loctite's "Stick 'n Seal - Waterproof Adhesive", then that's probably what I would try first, when and if this occurs on my GPS unit. This is the ONLY adhesive I have found that is able to strongly adhere to polypropylenes and other plastics that all other adhesives just refuse to stick to. I've used it a few times in the past to embed camera filters in the sides of zip-loc baggies to make harsh-environment covers for photography purposes. No other adhesives would work on that type of plastic.

My only hesitation is that it would work so well, that it would be difficult to undo the repair without damaging the outer band in the process, should I ever have need to open the unit to clean a contact or re-seat a ribbon cable or something. (I rarely rely on a company to repair something I have bought. A "No user serviceable parts inside" label makes me chuckle every time.) Ever since I read of an internal design flaw in these units, where the internal battery contacts to the main circuit board are just a pressure contact, and can oxidize or lose their springiness over time (the old "just slap it on your hand a few times to get the display back" or "put some foam-rubber in the battery compartment to increase that internal contacts pressure" posts I've read), I'd want to be able to open up the unit again after resealing the outer band to correct this battery-contact problem properly and more permanently. THEN I might fix the outer seal with this Loctite product.

Simplest material is Gorilla double sided tape or 3M double sided carpet tape. They work very, very well.

Thanks for the tip on these. Due to what I mentioned above, I'd keep these products in mind. I think these might provide a less "permanent" fix to the problem, allowing future access for repairs with less damage when needing to undo the fix.

I have a Vista HCx.

they told me to send mine in and they sent the kit to a friend. I did not send mine in. Seemed stupid. My friend bought a new GPSr and gave me the kit. Very easy to put the new band on. The problem is heat. If it's not left in a hot car it will last much longer (but not forever). Mines coming loose again after a couple of years because I've been putting it on my bike in hot weather. I have now upgraded to an Oregon.

I've had a Yellow etrex for about 4 years, used it in the UK and out here in the Nevada temps of 100f plus for a summer, it's still stuck solid.

The new VistaHCx I got just over a year ago... the band is sliding all over the place after just one summer of Nevada. We never use sun lotion on our hands, so that excuse is a load of bull, it's really only come loose this past 3 months, which is the coolest time of year. the glue is weeping out all around the sides, so I'm going to get double sided tape, clean all the glue off with alcohol (not fuel as that could ruin the plastic and will make it stink!) and reassemble it!

I got a feeling it's the newer build that have the problem.

I've had a Yellow etrex for about 4 years, used it in the UK and out here in the Nevada temps of 100f plus for a summer, it's still stuck solid.

The new VistaHCx I got just over a year ago... the band is sliding all over the place after just one summer of Nevada. We never use sun lotion on our hands, so that excuse is a load of bull, it's really only come loose this past 3 months, which is the coolest time of year. the glue is weeping out all around the sides, so I'm going to get double sided tape, clean all the glue off with alcohol (not fuel as that could ruin the plastic and will make it stink!) and reassemble it!

I got a feeling it's the newer build that have the problem.

No it's not the newer builds that are the problem. I bought my Etrex Vista in "03" and after a couple of years the rubber band came loose and I used the black RTV adhesive that was mentioned in a previous post and after contacting Garmin they said then it would cost over a 100 bucks to fix the problem. For 3 or 4 bux,the cost of the adhesive I was able to fix it just fine. Just remember to clean it with acohol really well and it should last a few more years before the process has to be repeated. I've had mine now for 7 years and had to repeat the process a couple of times now but it is still my go-to GPS.

Edited by Haffy

My eTrex Summit HC had the same problem.

Add another vote for RTV (silicone seal). Doesn't even have to be the high temp stuff like they use for engines. Your GPS will never see temperatures above about 160F in the car, and that won't bother it at all.

I also shuddered when I saw an earlier recommendation to clean with gasoline. Stick with the mineral spirits - a good bit safer and equally effective.

I suspect that Garmin is looking only at production costs. It's a whole lot faster, cheaper and easier to apply a band with double sided tape than it is to apply something really good like RTV.

Edited by ecanderson

My eTrex Summit HC had the same problem.

Add another vote for RTV (silicone seal). Doesn't even have to be the high temp stuff like they use for engines. Your GPS will never see temperatures above about 160F in the car, and that won't bother it at all.

I also shuddered when I saw an earlier recommendation to clean with gasoline. Stick with the mineral spirits - a good bit safer and equally effective.

I suspect that Garmin is looking only at production costs. It's a whole lot faster, cheaper and easier to apply a band with double sided tape than it is to apply something really good like RTV.

Just repaired the rubber on my Vista HCX last night. I cleaned mine with alcohol and would agree mineral spirits would work very well. The glue I found recommended most is Loctite Xtreme. Of course, I could not find it locally so I added the purchase of the glue to an Amazon Order. You can get it through Amazon if you can't find it locally. As I live in New Mexico and use my Vista for hiking and caching, my unit will always be exposed to extreme weather changes and it sits in the sun on the dash of my Jeep often when out caching.

I will update this post as time goes by with the Loctite Xtreme glue and it's condition. I love my Vista HCX and Do Not plan on using any other GPSr for hiking or caching. By the way there will be enough glue left in the tube to do about a dozen units.

had the same problem, with an HCx. I suspected storage in my garage in the summer in a high heat condition. (kept it in my bike handlebar bag so it was ready to go) . the Garmin rep I talked to said heat was a likely culprit, that people shouldn't leave them in the car ( this about a machine made to give turn by turn direction? what are you supposed to do with it when you go the the movie, take it in?) Anyway, the fix for me was to go back to REI and ask about getting some help regarding warranty, instead they just handed me a new unit and exchanged, no questions asked. If you have an REI in your area, it is like having a lifetime warranty on anything you buy. They don't have the lowest prices in town, but who cares if it ends up you got two for one if it breaks after the factory warranty is gone??

I have a garmin etrex legend c, this is the first unit I bought. I since then upgraded to a garmin 60 csx. Both units are taken very good care of, the legend c I got back in Sept 08 and has never been left in the car. The rubber came undone and I e-mailed garmin for a replacement rubber and tape that goes around the perimeter. They told me that I had to send it in and for $80.00 they could repair it. I have glued it back a couple of times, hopefully the last time will hold for a while as I prepped the unit really good. It's a shame that something as simple can't be addressed for a reasonable repair bill

Hey guys,

- a possible replacement for the adhesive -

I have no idea what the exact original adhesive was but, I believe that this is the same flavor -

This stuff is very strong and very sticky. And like the original it is an adhesive transfer tape

Here

This is what I did... Attempt at your own risk

Carefully peel off the rubber portion of the extrex - do not stretch it out!!

Clean off the original adhesive - If I remember right, it will scrape off with a fingernail or sharp-ish plastic or wooden scraping device of your choice and lots and lots of patience

NOTE: I used an orange oil adhesive remover (Goo Gone) and it swelled the rubber and darn near destroyed it... I shoulda known better but, some days I'm dumber than others

If you are semi-savvy in in the world of electronic devices - this is where you pop the enclosure apart and fix the loose ribbon cable that is causing lines in your display or the other issue that is causing your joystick to be intermittently unresponsive (insert erectile dysfunction joke here)

Clean the adhesive surfaces with isopropyl alcohol (enclosure and rubber trim)

Close the patient and apply the aforementioned adhesive transfer tape over the seam, button holes and enclosure snap-feature holes. The original looked like it had about 2-3 layers of adhesive.

Apply rubber - go slowly and carefully.

I used the wrist strap notch and connector flap for alignment points

~Corey

We've been using an e-trex for over a year in the U.K.and had the same problem with the rubber sleeve.

Having read the previous answers which didn't seem to solve the problem completely I removed the rubber and the plastic inner strip and very carefully applied Evo-Stik Serious Glue (available from Tesco's).

It has now been in place for several weeks without any problem. Hope this is helpful.

Unfortunately, this is not a defect. this is a feature of the eTrex line.. :laughing:

I had the same happen awhile back with a Legend (clear-blue).. and years before, to the original eTrex Yellow. (non-H) It has something to do with getting heated, (in a warm car, etc.) But it doesn't want to re-seal..

When I initially wrote to Garmin about it, I was contacted with a email to send my shipping address.. result, a box arrived, with a new rubber and a piece of CAD-Cut double sided tape on a sheet of paper. I ended-up fixing the device, for free.

Now, if you write to Garmin for the same thing, they'll ask you to send the whole device in for service. thjey no-longer will give you a part# or anything for the replacement.. They now, want you to pay outright shipping and repair.

Honest truth, this is a known defect (despite my sarcasm at the beginning of this message.) but they refuse to see it as such. Mind you, the eTrex line was a good, solid line, but this was the only flaw. Now, it's push to get hyper connected to the internet, and options & tools you'll never actually use.

the other problem, with the rubber.. It seems to absorb skin oil, and other types of oil, keeping the rubber expanded to larger than the case, so you won't get a solid seal anymore.. I even tried soaking the rubber in things like rubbing alcohol, or Simple Green (full strength.) it does nothing to extract the oils, and the rubber is pretty much loose from there on.

The odd thing is, there are other Garmin models which use a similar adhesive mounting to the device, and the rubber piece stays normal size, and right to the case.. With the eTrex, it's a losing battle, every time you opened the cover over the Data connection, You partially pried the rubber away from the adhesive. It was a losing battle from the start.

I'm kind of wondering, if the same will happen, with the cover for the Magellan Explorist-GC, with the cap over the data plug?

Unfortunately, this is not a defect. this is a feature of the eTrex line.. :laughing:

I had the same happen awhile back with a Legend (clear-blue).. and years before, to the original eTrex Yellow. (non-H) It has something to do with getting heated, (in a warm car, etc.) But it doesn't want to re-seal..

When I initially wrote to Garmin about it, I was contacted with a email to send my shipping address.. result, a box arrived, with a new rubber and a piece of CAD-Cut double sided tape on a sheet of paper. I ended-up fixing the device, for free.

Now, if you write to Garmin for the same thing, they'll ask you to send the whole device in for service. thjey no-longer will give you a part# or anything for the replacement.. They now, want you to pay outright shipping and repair.

Honest truth, this is a known defect (despite my sarcasm at the beginning of this message.) but they refuse to see it as such. Mind you, the eTrex line was a good, solid line, but this was the only flaw. Now, it's push to get hyper connected to the internet, and options & tools you'll never actually use.

the other problem, with the rubber.. It seems to absorb skin oil, and other types of oil, keeping the rubber expanded to larger than the case, so you won't get a solid seal anymore.. I even tried soaking the rubber in things like rubbing alcohol, or Simple Green (full strength.) it does nothing to extract the oils, and the rubber is pretty much loose from there on.

The odd thing is, there are other Garmin models which use a similar adhesive mounting to the device, and the rubber piece stays normal size, and right to the case.. With the eTrex, it's a losing battle, every time you opened the cover over the Data connection, You partially pried the rubber away from the adhesive. It was a losing battle from the start.

I'm kind of wondering, if the same will happen, with the cover for the Magellan Explorist-GC, with the cap over the data plug?