Time to replace my aged and abused Rino 110

I currently own a pretty abused Rino 110 that I bought prior to Deploying to Iraq 4 or 5 years ago and its time to replace it. I am considering the Garmin Rino 530HCX, the Garmin GPSMap 60CSX the Magellan Explorist 600 or the Magellan Triton 500.

I am a currently stationed in Germany so I am very interested in a Handhold GPS that has European maps available that won't also break my bank since I am buying the GPS too. I like the idea of topographic maps and the ability to use Google Maps some how (just seems cool to keep track of running, hiking, our 4x4ing adventures that way. I am also hoping in using it for turn by turn in my Jeep.

Any and all recommendations as well as experiences with these 4 models would be greatly appreciated.

Since the Delorme has no euro maps it's out. I don't think too many people would recommend the Triton right now, maybe in a few months when they get it patched up. My guess would be that once the Triton line gets all the kinks worked out they will EOL the rest of the explorist line so I wouldn't grab a 600 for that reason. So that leaves you with the 60csx or the 530 Rino. You've just got to decide if you want a radio or not. Can't help you with that.

anyone know of any where with good prices on the 530hcx or the 60csx?

I just picked up a 530HCX from pcnation.com for ~$350 + $11 overnight shipping. They took my order over the phone. They are based out of Chicago, answered the phone quickly and were very helpful, all 3 phone calls I made to make the order(kept re-thinking it). I've been pleased with it so far, but can't say much as I haven't learned how to use it very well yet. I can vouch for the reception though. I was borrowing a rino 110 before mine arrived and man is there a HUGE difference in the satellite sensitivity in the new ones! Good luck!

I would go with the 60csx. I owned a rino 110 and that unit truly sucks. What was the worst thing about it is the menu system. If im not mistaken all the rinos have the same menu system. The csx on the other hand has an excellent menu system and everything is straight forward. So easy to find what function your looking for.When i first recieved my cs it was like a breath of fresh air.So easy to use . So the csx is one step above the cs so you cant go wrong with a csx.

You can get a csx at walmart for around$300. Theres a guy on this site selling his csx for $225, i would snap that up in a heart beat if i didn't have one already.

Ok, since I have limited it to the 60csx and the 530hcx and since I am currently over seas this presents a question. Since it will have the Americas maps does it still have a world base map? How do I get/install maps of germany or do I have to buy all of europe? Do they offer TOPO maps of Germany? If I were to choose to have turn by turn directions enabled what software would I also need to install? Now with all those can they all be loaded to work all at once? If so, does it slow the unit down?

Thanks

Ok, since I have limited it to the 60csx and the 530hcx and since I am currently over seas this presents a question. Since it will have the Americas maps does it still have a world base map? How do I get/install maps of germany or do I have to buy all of europe? Do they offer TOPO maps of Germany? If I were to choose to have turn by turn directions enabled what software would I also need to install? Now with all those can they all be loaded to work all at once? If so, does it slow the unit down?

Thanks

Jimlink,

For TOPO maps of Germany, you need to contact:

GPS GmbH

Lochhamer Schlag 5a

82166 Gräfelfing

Germany

Tel: +49 89 858364 99

Fax: +49 89 858364 44

Email: info@gps-nav.de

These maps are third party as Garmin does not make them for Germany. You can purchase City Navigator NT for Europe that includes full coverage of Germany. I would check with the above listed company first, as they may make a bundled solution.

Steve

PS - It will not slow the device down noticebly while navigating. Only when redrawing maps depending on your selected level of map detail.

Edited by Source_GPS

Just curious - did you consider the Vista HCx?

I have one and recently went on a Canada trip with a friend who had a 60CSx - for about $100 less, I had everything he had. While the screen on the 60 is a little bigger, the resolution is the same, and the unit is a little smaller. My friend and I both came to the conclusion that the HCx is the better deal. I know that the antennaes are different between the two, but we noticed no difference in the harsh Canadian outback.

Just curious - did you consider the Vista HCx?

I have one and recently went on a Canada trip with a friend who had a 60CSx - for about $100 less, I had everything he had. While the screen on the 60 is a little bigger, the resolution is the same, and the unit is a little smaller. My friend and I both came to the conclusion that the HCx is the better deal. I know that the antennaes are different between the two, but we noticed no difference in the harsh Canadian outback.

Not that this influences anyone's decision, but this is my favorite unit on the market to date.

The difference between the two is the 60csx uses the SIRF III chip which is actually supposed to be better from what I have read. However I have seen several people saying recently that the "H" model chipsets actually are comparable if not better...

If I go with an "H" chip though I'll go with the 530 and get the radio.