First Cacher In Pennsylvania?

PULASKI

Greetings!

Procrastination is a terrible thing.

When I first heard about GC there were just a few hundred caches in the entire nation. I thought it sounded like a great idea and I already owned a 'state of the art' Magellan (looking back its amazing how far GPSr technology has come in a few short years) so I decided to hide a cache.

I filled the ammo can and threw it in my truck but a day turned into a week, a week a month and before long a bunch of time has passed. And someone else had hidden the first cache in PA.

No big deal as it eventually became a hide for an event and lived a happy life of a few years before someone nabbed it.

Anyway, I have always wondered if I am the first cacher in PA (a join date of 11/2/00). I once posted this question and received a bunch of static and no help.

Someone did tell me a way to find what number appears when on the forum (I forget how but I think it was #615). If these numbers still exist - what do they mean?

I sent my question to Groundspeak and received a quick reply

===================================

Date: Mar 2, 2008 12:28 AM

I am sorry but we are unable to assist you on this project. When someone joined is not information we can give out.

Thank you,

Michael

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Does anyone know if the means exist to determine who was the first cacher in each state?

If not, has anyone in PA been caching longer than me? Thanks in advance for your insight

No real reason for wanting to know other than I have always wondered! :D

Sincerely,

PULASKI

Greetings!

When I first heard about GC there were just a few hundred caches in the entire nation. I thought it sounded like a great idea and I already owned a 'state of the art' Magellan (looking back its amazing how far GPSr technology has come in a few short years) so I decided to hide a cache.

I filled the ammo can and threw it in my truck but a day turned into a week, a week a month and before long a bunch of time has passed. And someone else had hidden the first cache in PA.

No big deal as it eventually became a hide for an event and lived a happy life of a few years before someone nabbed it.

Anyway, I have always wondered if I am the first cacher in PA (a join date of 11/2/00). I once posted this question and received a bunch of static and no help.

Someone did tell me a way to find what number appears when on the forum (I forget how but I think it was #615). If these numbers still exist - what do they mean?

I am sorry but we are unable to assist you on this project. When someone joined is not information we can give out.

Thank you,

Michael

Does anyone know if the means exist to determine who was the first cacher in each state?

If not, has anyone in PA been caching longer than me? Thanks in advance for your insight

Sincerely,

PULASKI

You have the 615th account issued. If they were numbered in chronological order (I assume), then you are #615 to join. It would be doubtful that you were the first in PA, as with 600 previous ID#s there would most likely be an average of 30 cachers per state to join before you. Since PA is fairly large and populous, there would be a higher amount than average as compared to the other states, so I'd guess that you were about the 50th cacher in the state.

However, I could not find any active caches in PA which were found in 2000, so perhaps the few caches that were around then have been archived. You would have to check the finds on all the old caches to see which accounts are older than yours in PA.

However, there is a strong possibility that you are the oldest active cacher in the state.

Greetings!

Thank you,

Michael

Sincerely,

PULASKI

Now that is very interesting! The "first cache in Pa.", was hidden before your join date. But the hiders didn't join this website for several months, and submit the cache here until early 2001. Geocaching.com was so new, they probably just figured reporting their cache at confluence.org was good enough. They may have posted it to usenet also, which is where many of the early caches were announced to the world. According to the logs on this website, State Game Lands #109 wasn't found until 2001.

Seeing someone with a 2000 join date in the forums is quite rare. So until someone from Pa. comes along and posts here with an earlier join date, you da' man! :lol:

[EDIT] The 2nd cache in Pa. (not horribly far from the first one), was Stone Wall Stash. But your join date beats the placement date, and it's impossible to tell if the owner is from Pa.; which is a moot point anyways, you beat his join date. I actually tried that last year, but was driven away by spring mud, and a hostile local dog, who influenced me to not get out of my vehicle.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

You could manually check each ID number using the ID # url from 1 - 614. The problem being the joy of loading all those URLs....... and for many of them having to click on finds or hides to have a clue about where?

www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=#

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Now that is very interesting! The "first cache in Pa.", was hidden before your join date. But the hiders didn't join this website for several months, and submit the cache here until early 2001. Geocaching.com was so new, they probably just figured reporting their cache at confluence.org was good enough. They may have posted it to usenet also, which is where many of the early caches were announced to the world. According to the logs on this website, State Game Lands #109 wasn't found until 2001.

Seeing someone with a 2000 join date in the forums is quite rare. So until someone from Pa. comes along and posts here with an earlier join date, you da' man! :D

[EDIT] The 2nd cache in Pa. (not horribly far from the first one), was Stone Wall Stash. But your join date beats the placement date, and it's impossible to tell if the owner is from Pa.; which is a moot point anyways, you beat his join date. I actually tried that last year, but was driven away by spring mud, and a hostile local dog, who influenced me to not get out of my vehicle.

Looking at the early logs for Stone Wall Stash i see this guy.

His join date is Sunday, October 29, 2000, and his log and website confirm he is from PA (Warren, PA). He also hid 1 cache on 11/13/2000 that is noe archived. However, it wasn't found until April 2001, and looking at the old logs there doesn't turn up any cachers from 2000. Looks like you may be the 2nd oldest cacher in PA, and the oldest active cacher in that state.

Seeing someone with a 2000 join date in the forums is quite rare. So until someone from Pa. comes along and posts here with an earlier join date, you da' man! :lol:

Looking at the early logs for Stone Wall Stash i see this guy.

His join date is Sunday, October 29, 2000, and his log and website confirm he is from PA (Warren, PA). He also hid 1 cache on 11/13/2000 that is noe archived. However, it wasn't found until April 2001, and looking at the old logs there doesn't turn up any cachers from 2000. Looks like you may be the 2nd oldest cacher in PA, and the oldest active cacher in that state.

That's a good idea Mopar, to look at the logs for the oldest caches in Pa. Beats manually looking at the first 614 accounts. :lol: I stand corrected too, Stone Wall Stash wasn't the 2nd cache placed in Pa.

See why geeks like myself don't like the fact we can't search for archived caches anymore? :D