Venture HC lockon road feature?

Pinon

Just bought a new Venture HC. I love it. BUT, when I use the backtrack feature I find myself all over the original path. Does the Venture HC have the "lockon road setting"..?? If so, I can't find it. I also just download to the newest software version 2.70. Is that the culprit ??...Anybody...??

My wife has had some problems with her Venture HC, not with the trackback as such, since she's never used it, but when downloaded and overlaid on a map, the tracks do some odd things like they're the same general 'shape' and do all the right bends and curves, but are offset by a certain distance. See http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3341800 Is this what you're experiencing? There's also someone claiming to have the same problem with a Vista HCx with the latest updates.

YES..just about the same problem...What is happening is that the backtrak feature (with my Venture HC) does NOT follow the exact same return route as the initial route. I guess thats just the "nature of the animal". I am a new Garmin owner...I still have my Magellan Merigold and I love it. It will be used as my backup unit. I am going to Arizona next week and I need to have confidence in my new Venture HC. Time will tell.

YES..just about the same problem...What is happening is that the backtrak feature (with my Venture HC) does NOT follow the exact same return route as the initial route. I guess thats just the "nature of the animal". I am a new Garmin owner...I still have my Magellan Merigold and I love it. It will be used as my backup unit. I am going to Arizona next week and I need to have confidence in my new Venture HC. Time will tell.

Well, if the track it's recording isn't an accurate representation of the track on the ground, then it's clear that the backtrack feature won't work as expected, since it merely follows the recorded track in reverse. That's not anything to do with the backtrack feature per se, but merely a result of an incorrect track being recorded, and not the "nature of the animal" at all.

Maybe you could try downgrading to 2.50 from here ... http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/etrex/...ntureHC_250.exe and see if it cures the problem. If so, then at least you have something to go back to Garmin with if you want to.