Going to Destin, Fl for vacation

j.marlow

I'm planning on going to the Destin area this summer for vacation and was wondering if anyone could point the way to some good caches. I'm new to caching so a little bit easier to find caches would be great. Thank You to anyone who helps.

As a former resident of Destin, I can assure you that summer traffic is brutal to say the least. I'd suggest using the Google Maps feature to scout the area and pre-plan a route. Making a map of the back roads and staying off Hwy 98 as much as possible will help a lot. Secondly, start early when most people are heading to the beaches. Once you get on the bay side of 98 traffic won't be so heavy and you can spend more time actually caching instead of idling in traffic.

More info now that I have time:

If you have the time, make the trip east along Hwy 98 to CR 30A and take the scenic drive along the beach to Seaside. If I remember correctly there are a few caches along the way and one at the Seaside post office. If you time it right it's worth the drive. Conversely, to the west in the Ft. Walton area (Ft. Walton, Mary Esther, Wright, Ocean City, Cinco Bayou) there are numerous caches. Many are fairly easy to get to but again, use the Google maps feature to pre-plan your route and make a map of the back roads. Stay off Beal Street between Mary Esther Blvd. and Racetrack road as much as possible. The traffic there during the morning, afternoon, and evening rush (basically 5:30am to 11pm) is as bad or worse than Destin thanks to Wal-mart, Sam's, and Home Depot being lined up one next to the other.

If you want a more complete rundown shoot me an email.